Getting alert C: space is less and need to remove data

ajayritik

Technomancer
Recently I find that I get an alert saying C: is full and data needs to be removed. I don't remember installing anything recently in the past month but I'm not sure why I'm getting this error.

Earlier I had 1 GB of free space before I started getting this alert and had not installed anything or copied anything on C: but still I continue to get this error.

I have an 80 GB HDD and 8 GB is allocated for Primary Partition C:

Operating System:Windows XP SP3

Please help!

Last edited:

clmlbx

Technomancer
Which os are you using.? if you say ur partition is 8GB .. I guess u r using XP. If anytime ur free space is less then 800mb it will show this alert (any thing less then 10% of your partition size). It is just notification nothing to worry. to stop that..

1. Go to start --> Run --> Type regedit and press enter
2.2. Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
3. Create a new DWORD value and name it NoLowDiskSpaceChecks
4. Right-click on this newly created value and click on Modify
5. Enter 1 in the Value data field and click on OK
6. Close regedit and reboot your system
7. The low disk space messages should be gone.

what is current free space of ur partition?. and you can also try be deleting temporary files and all junk you might have..(try ccleaner)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@ajayritik: Just 8 GB of hard disk partition is no way enough to install any OS!
8 GB as OS drive is bound to get full in a very small matter of time. And unless you extend your partition, or reinstall OS on other drive with capacity larger than atleast 10 GB, you will be greeted with this message at regular intervals.

If you don't plan to extend the partition, or reinstall on other drive, then there are these small changes you can do to freeup more space on C: drive.

1. Remove temporary files from temp and %temp% folders.
2. Don't keep big files on desktop, since desktop is a folder in C: drive itself.
3. Move your My Documents folder to another drive. You can do that, by right clicking My Documents, and clicking Move.. and then selecting another drive.
4. Move Paging File to another drive. (Just google for the steps).

Points 1 and 2 have to be taken care of in regular intervals of a few days.
Whearas, point 3 and 4 is to be done just once.

But I still suggest to reinstall the OS on another drive, or try to extend the C: drive itself. :-D

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Which os are you using.? if you say ur partition is 8GB .. I guess u r using XP. If anytime ur free space is less then 800mb it will show this alert (any thing less then 10% of your partition size). It is just notification nothing to worry. to stop that..

1. Go to start --> Run --> Type regedit and press enter
2.2. Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
3. Create a new DWORD value and name it NoLowDiskSpaceChecks
4. Right-click on this newly created value and click on Modify
5. Enter 1 in the Value data field and click on OK
6. Close regedit and reboot your system
7. The low disk space messages should be gone.

what is current free space of ur partition?. and you can also try be deleting temporary files and all junk you might have..(try ccleaner)
Thanks bro for your suggestion.
I tried deleting all the junk stuff. Currently it hovers around 100 MB.

@ajayritik: Just 8 GB of hard disk partition is no way enough to install any OS!
8 GB as OS drive is bound to get full in a very small matter of time. And unless you extend your partition, or reinstall OS on other drive with capacity larger than atleast 10 GB, you will be greeted with this message at regular intervals.

If you don't plan to extend the partition, or reinstall on other drive, then there are these small changes you can do to freeup more space on C: drive.

1. Remove temporary files from temp and %temp% folders.
2. Don't keep big files on desktop, since desktop is a folder in C: drive itself.
3. Move your My Documents folder to another drive. You can do that, by right clicking My Documents, and clicking Move.. and then selecting another drive.

Points 1 and 2 have to be taken care of in regular intervals of a few days.
Whearas, point 3 and 4 is to be done just once.

But I still suggest to reinstall the OS on another drive, or try to extend the C: drive itself. :-D

Vineet I was not sure one of my friends said better to keep Primary Partition around 8-9 GB whereas the one said to keep a little larger in size I opted for the first option.

I have already tried 1,2 & 3 option.
I know about 4 but never tried it recently.

How do I extend the C: without the need to reinstall my OS.
Do we get any softwares?

Last edited:

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Try removing extra restore points which also hogs memory. Right click on c:>>properties>>tools>>disk cleanup>>remove restore points except the latest one. I happens in xp normally.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Are you using genuine Windows ? If yes, that may be causing the space problem due to automatic updates. A friend of mine had the same issue. You can resize the partition to say somewhere around 15 GB or use TuneUp Utilites or similar which will automatically clean your PC of junk files and help you maintain the free space.

You can also use the disK cleanup option from Accessories > System tools

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
How do I extend the C: without the need to reinstall my OS.
Do we get any softwares?

You can maybe try GNOME partition editor. Using which you can try merging C: with the adjacent partition, that most probably is D:
But backup your data before you do that, since something may accidentally go wrong, and you may end up deleting C: drive.

Not scaring you, just a warning. ;)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
You can maybe try GNOME partition editor. Using which you can try merging C: with the adjacent partition, that most probably is D:
But backup your data before you do that, since something may accidentally go wrong, and you may end up deleting C: drive.

Not scaring you, just a warning. ;)

Yeah I have heard about these things so better to take a backup.
Will deleting C: also result in data getting deleted from other drives? I'm worried about the data in other drives.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Nah! Deleting c: drive has nothing to do with data on other drives. Although it won't hurt to take a backup of important documents in other drives just for the sake of it.

But, if you are planning to merge D: with C:, then of course, data on D: will get destroyed.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
*img819.imageshack.us/img819/1237/cdrive.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

*img507.imageshack.us/img507/6919/fdrive.jpg

*img256.imageshack.us/img256/8882/ddrivecontents.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Guys in these two drives I see weird folder names like 4cd39c5a60d67aea8b9807eff6. Any idea what these are?

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
I would just move some files, "My docs" folder and/or uninstall some programs.

8GB is enough for XP.

Also there is a patch to disable the low disk space notification. Google it.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Guys in these two drives I see weird folder names like 4cd39c5a60d67aea8b9807eff6. Any idea what these are?

I guess those weird folder contains temporary files and/or old restore points.
Just go inside them, and try to delete the folders, if they don't seem to contain any useful stuff.

PS: Do take care, not to delete such files/folders from C: root drive, since those files can be of importance to the OS.

rawgeek

Broken In
Can you install space monger on the box and scan C: with it?Then post back the output here.It will give a clear picture as to what is taking the space...
SpaceMonger - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

RBX

In the zone
I too need to free up some space in drive C. How safe would it be to delete all files in "C:\Windows\Installer" ?

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I think Wondershare Live Boot 2012 offers expanding Logical drive without loss of data. But take backup before you try.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Can you install space monger on the box and scan C: with it?Then post back the output here.It will give a clear picture as to what is taking the space...
SpaceMonger - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Or you can use SpaceSniffer It's more user friendly then SpaceMonger. :-D

already shared on my previous posts

+1 for space sniffer, very light and easy to use.. n

all who are asking For cleaning junk files pls Use ccleaner

*img717.imageshack.us/img717/9082/spacesniffer.jpg

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The screenshot is too small! Use imgur.com to upload high res pic.
But I can see the 1.4 GB of Pagefile.sys still lying in C:

So I guess you can get a space of 1.4 GB on C: by the tip I mentioned above,

Top Bottom