Geforce 6600 or 6600GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdj_28

Right off the assembly line
I want to buy Geforce 6600 but am not able to understand which should i go for GT or non GT? and morever the confusion is what is AGP and PCI? my budget is upto 6,000 and i want to play these latest games like FEAR,PATH OF NEO,THIEF3,DA VINCI CODE etc. which requires pixel shader.My system configuration is:-

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)

System Manufacturer: INTEL

System Model: D845GBV2

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, ~2.4GHz

Memory: 254MB RAM

HDD:80GB

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce4 MX 4000
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 128.0 MB

Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Type: WDM
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Luckily you have an AGP slot on your motherboard because most 845 mobo's don't have one. So you can upgrade to better graphics.
The 6600GT is better than the 6600 but it also costs more. So which one you buy depends on your budget.
Keep in mind that you need to add more RAM to play these new games properly. 256 MB isn't enough. Add atleast 256 MB more but preferably add 512 MB or even 1 GB more if your budget allows it.

OP
R

rdj_28

Right off the assembly line
how about Palit ATI Radeon X1300PRO? do you know the latest price? and yeah i have to add 256 mb RAM MORE so can you tell me the price of ram also? i am from mumbai and where can i get these cards and ram for best buy?

go for the 6600GT....its a better version ....i jus recently set up sli using two xfx 6600xt cards....i tried out single card setup also...n the performance wasnt bad at all...........now XT is jus an overclocked LE!!!!! but gt is by far better as far as i know.....since u have an agp slot......thumbs up to 6600gt

cheers!!!

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Don't touch any card by Palit. Buy Powercolor if you want a Radeon card. I'm not sure if the X1300 Pro even has an AGP version. Even if it does, the 6600GT is a better card.
256 RAM should cost Rs. 1200 but I suggest you get 512 MB RAM. Price is Rs. 2000.
Tell your budget so we can choose the right card for you.

maheswar2006

Broken In
The 6600GT 128MB AGP is ur best bet, but it is way beyond ur budget. Do increase ur budget by 2.5K (if u can) and get it. u will not regret it. There r no games in the world which a 6600GT cannot handle........

If u cant increase ur budget, u will have to settle for the plain vanilla 6600....
Theres only 1 difference between the two. 6600GT user high speed GDDR3 RAM whereas the 6600 has only DDR1 RAM. Nt much difference on paper but when it comes to sheer perfomance, even the 6600GT 128MB thrashes the hell out of a 6600 256MB!!!

If u want to convert into a real good machine, open ur case, clean out all the dust, take out the heatsink and clean it and reapply thermal compound (use arctic silver or ceramique/ or pastes from antec,coolermaster only)
Make sure your PSU is rated at least 400W from a branded company like powersafe and go for at least 512MB Ram ( 1GB would be greatt).

And reformat ur com(not compulsory) and put the Pagefile on another partition rather than the 1 which has ur windows directory. Make sure the max and min size of the pagefile is the same, and put the values at not less than 3 times ur system memory.

~~~mahesh~~~

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
IF ur budget is 6k for a graphics card then try to push it to 7.5k get a 6600GT or get 6600 for around 5k.
Go for a 512 MB ram which will cost around 2k
(I am not too sure about the prices!!)

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
6600 (non GT) 128Mb and 512 ram will just fit in ur budget....
but be sure from which company 6600 u wanna buy....dealers usually fool with wrong cards saying they the same and more over lure with less price and good packaging

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
GT will require you a complete system overhauling.While 6600 will fit perfectly in your system and costing you much lesser too.
Also look out for the DDR2 6600 from XFX.Pretty decent price to performance ratio.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
na na!
I dont think so.7300GT still cant beat 6600GT man!Thst 6600GT is too powerful card.
hehe.Go check out for urself!

maheswar2006

Broken In
6600GT is available both in AGP and PCI-E versions.

6600GT PcIe is faster than 6600GT AGP.................but
6600GT AGP is costlier than 6600GT pCie..................

Strange world..............
~~~mahesh~~~

ashfame

Padawan
consider buying 7600gt which is better than 6600gt in SLI.
credit goes to drvarunmehta & deathvirus_me. they told me in the thread:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom