GDrive Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenchandran

In the zone
In a world with infinite storage, bandwidth, and CPU power

Google is hosting an analyst day today. I found skimming the 94 slide presentation (PPT, PDF alternative) to be interesting and worthwhile.

In particular, I liked slide 19, 20, and 31, all of which makes it clear that Google isn't losing its wide-eyed optimism.

Slide 31 says that Google's philosophy to new product development is "no constraints" and that they initially ignore "CPU power, storage, bandwidth, and monetization."

Slide 20 says (in the notes) that Google plans to "get all the worlds information, not just some."

And slide 19 (in the notes) talks about how their work is inspired by the idea of "a world with infinite storage, bandwidth, and CPU power." They say that "the experience should really be instantaneous". They say that they should be able to "house all user files, including: emails, web history, pictures, bookmarks, etc and make it accessible from anywhere (any device, any platform, etc)" which leads to a world where "the online copy of your data will become your Golden Copy and your local-machine copy serves more like a cache". And, they say that they want "transparent personalization" that uses user "data to transparently optimize the user's experience ... implicitly."

Google also recommits to a future with personalized search. They say in the notes on slide 12 that they will "introduce new personalization elements" and that they view that as one of two major directions for their efforts to improve relevance rank.

Some might be inclined to dismiss all this talk as the wild fantasies of engineers with too much caffeine, but I think Google does see their ability to build out their massive cluster as one of their primary competitive advantages. I think they do intend to continuing extending their computing infrastructure until everyone everywhere really does feel that they have near infinite CPU power and storage at their fingertips.

[link to presentation via Paul Kedrosky]

Update: It appears Google suddenly removed the PPT file. Ugh. Well, sorry, but, unless you moved quickly, looks like there's no way to see it anymore.

Update: Google just made a PDF version of the slides available.

Unfortunately, this new PDF version of the slides no longer has the notes attached to each slide, so you can't see some of what I was referring to in my comments above.

However, I did download the original PPT presentation. Though I didn't keep a copy, I recently discovered that my Google Desktop cache does contain a text-only copy of notes for slide 12 and most of slide 19. The cached copy ends in the middle of the notes for slide 19.

Here are the notes from slide 12 with the reference to using personalized search to improve relevance rank:
Lead in Search
As the market leader, we need to ensure search doesn't become a commodity. Our focus on search is nothing new. We built our brand on being the best search engine, with the best results, and as our competitors have caught up to us, it's become even more important for us to focus on:
1) Speed
Solve international speed issues and bring international users to US performance
2) Comprehensiveness and freshness
"All webpages included in the Google index and searched all the time" -- Teragoogle makes this possible
Expand to other sources of data
Become the leader in geo search (any search with a geographic component).
New forms of content -- video, audio, offline printed materials
3) Relevance
Leverage implicit and explicit user feedback to improve popular and nav queries
Introduce new personalization elements
4) User Interface
Experiment with several new UI features to make the user experience better
And here are part of the notes from slide 19. Unfortunately, my cached copy ends right before the discussion of "transparent personalization" that I mentioned above:
In a world with infinite storage, bandwidth, and CPU power, here's what we could do with consumer products --
Theme 1: Speed
Seems simple, but should not be overlooked because impact is huge. Users don't realize how slow things are until they get something faster.
Users assume it takes time for a webpage to load, but the experience should really be instantaneous.
Gmail started to do this for webmail, but that's just a small first step. Infinite bandwidth will make this a reality for all applications.
Theme 2: Store 100% of User Data
With infinite storage, we can house all user files, including: emails, web history, pictures, bookmarks, etc and make it accessible from anywhere (any device, any platform, etc).
We already have efforts in this direction in terms of GDrive, GDS, Lighthouse, but all of them face bandwidth and storage constraints today. For example: Firefox team is working on server side stored state but they want to store only URLs rather than complete web pages for storage reasons. This theme will help us make the client less important (thin client, thick server model) which suits our strength vis-a-vis Microsoft and is also of great value to the user.
As we move toward the "Store 100%" reality, the online copy of your data will become your Golden Copy and your local-machine copy serves more like a cache. An important implication of this theme is that we can make your online copy more secure than it would be on your own machine.
Another important implication of this theme is that storing 100% of a user's data makes each piece of data more valuable because it can be access across applications. For example: a user's Orkut profile has more value when it's accessible from Gmail (as addressbook), Lighthouse (as access lis... [...TRUNCATED...]
Update: Derrick made the full notes for slide 19 available in the comments to this post.

Update: The full story about why the PPT version of these slides disappeared is now clear.

When I first posted a few excerpts from the notes to the slides, I had assumed that the notes were intended for the speakers of the presentation. I was annoyed and even a bit angry when the PPT was pulled, not fully comprehending why Google wouldn't want to make the notes generally available.

It now appears that many of the notes in the slides were cut-and-pasted from other presentations, never intended for Google Analyst Day. As mb points out in the comments to this post, the notes for slide 10 contain an odd reference to CBS, something I didn't notice when I originally was reviewing the slide deck.

Even worse, the notes to slide 14 contain revenue projections for next year, also something I didn't notice previously. Because Google published these projections to their website, even briefly, they were forced to file a 8-K with the SEC. In that filing, they say that the notes were "not speaker notes prepared for the Analyst Day presentation."

All very unfortunate.

Google's mission may be "to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible," but some information is not intended to be accessed by all.

Source:*glinden.blogspot.com/2006/03/in-world-with-infinite-storage.html

For PPT Slides Visist *tomcaster.com/blog/2006/03/03/google-2006-strategy/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom