Gaming Rig for around 130K

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@4. It may affect overclocking (not sure about the voltage regulator chip of that particular ASUS model and the its limitation), but otherwise it's the best purchase below 30k. Not a big deal IMO.

For the CPU, i am personally more inclined to either the 2600k (save money) or the 3770k (get the best). For SSD, get 240/256GB one; you are talking about games, and you will fill up a 120/128GB pretty quick. Remember, Max Payne 3? ;)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy two 1 TB Hard disks instead of one 2 TB. If in any case HDD goes bad, you'll still have one working.

Some Asus Direct CU cards are coming with locked voltage these days. Check out some other GTX 670.

Otherwise check this out - MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC Graphic Card This is HD 7970 @ 1.010 Ghz for 28.5K. This is faster than GTX 680 which comes with 1.006 Ghz (1.050 Ghz boos) clocks.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
For SSD, get 240/256GB one; you are talking about games, and you will fill up a 120/128GB pretty quick. Remember, Max Payne 3? ;)

why would you install games on a SSD? it'll hardly improve performance of the game. ssd is best suited for installing the OS or video/photo rendering softwares. games and other data will do good on a HDD.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
@ ico
I was also amazed by that MSI 7970 card price. I wonder if its the real price or just a typo from them because its a really great deal. I mean I am getting good performance for gaming and the advantages of 7970 with it at sweet price.
How is the Gigabyte 670 card SMC have. Is that good enough. I read that I better get Windforce 3X instead of 2X but unfortunately that ain't available anywhere at all. :(

If I buy two BE HDD then that would cost me 14K besides I already have a 2TB HDD that I would be using with BE edition in my rig. :)

@skud
Yeah you are right about CPU but the thing is I am hardly saving anything if getting 2700K as the price difference is just 750 INR. Not big deal.
About GPU, thanks for clearing my doubt. :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
why would you install games on a SSD? it'll hardly improve performance of the game. ssd is best suited for installing the OS or video/photo rendering softwares. games and other data will do good on a HDD.

Performance is not merely some fps numbers, there's something called gameplay experience. The game load times are drastically reduced, giving you a much better feel of actually being "in the game". In case of witcher 2, on my Vertex 3, it loads instantaneously. With a HDD, it takes significant time. Also there are other factors too. Check this article, its very informative, particularly check the 2 videos posted at the last page:-

Exploring SSD Performance In Battlefield 3, F1 2011, And Rift : Profiling Storage I/O In Three New Games

Buy two 1 TB Hard disks instead of one 2 TB. If in any case HDD goes bad, you'll still have one working.

Some Asus Direct CU cards are coming with locked voltage these days. Check out some other GTX 670.

Otherwise check this out - MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC Graphic Card This is HD 7970 @ 1.010 Ghz for 28.5K. This is faster than GTX 680 which comes with 1.006 Ghz (1.050 Ghz boos) clocks.

This would be a very good option, if OP don't mind the stock cooler. Also 2x1TB is sensible option, but very costly in the current scenario.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
Like I said I am also thinking about that MSI card and looking forward to it given the condition that its actually at that price because SMC don't update prices regularly.
As for HDD I will be using 3 HDDs.
1. 2TB WD Cavier Green (already have from previous PC)
2. 2TB WD Black Edition
3. 128GB/240GB SSD. (depends on budget).

Guys I am having a hard time to get any review of MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC Graphic Card.
Can anyone give me a link for that ???

Guys I am having a hard time to get any review of MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC Graphic Card.
Can anyone give me a link for that ???

gamekraze

Broken In
Check with primeabgb if they are going to sell 670 windforce 3x card. So far only primeabgb has listed out most of graphic cards from gigabyte. Also check with the distributor Welcome to Acro Engineering . Let me know if its going to hit india :D coz im waiting for that card too.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've told you to wait for a price cut on Intel cpus ;-)

BTW, getting a gpu with custom cooler is a better idea IMO .. so if you can look for any other version HD7970 though it may cost ~2-3k extra.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
If I would have to get a custom cooler then why wouldn't I buy Asus GTX670 DC2 which in many cases outperforms Stock GTX680. Also if I would have to go farther in GPU for more than 30K I guess GTX680 would be my best bet. The only reason I am considering the MSI R7970 is because of that sweet price as it is coming at the price of custom cooler GTX670 and also give me the features of AMD side like computation and others. Also I am getting a pretty good Air flow case, it is better to get a custom cooler GPU or this will suffice. If custom cooler are better even with that case then I would buy Asus GTX670 DC2.

When Intel CPU prices will drop ?? Early November or something ???

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all, contact SMC if the 7970 is at all available at that price. Stock cooler is not a big problem.

And for gaming, I would rather stick with Intel.

Also, you may want to take a look at this:-

GIGABYTE GRAPHIC CARD GTX 670 2GB DDR5

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
I did looked at that card before. Its is also available at SMC but the thing is that there is a bigger brother of that card Windforce 3X which is unavailable here so far. I searched and saw that Windforce 2X has everything similar except that it has two fans rather than three. Now I am confused about The Giggbyte GTX670 & Asus GTX670 DC2 and found that by spending 2K more Asus is available. I am still confused which one to get the Asusor the Gigabyte. As for the MSI R7970 I'll talk to them right now.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both are representative of their price. Performance wise they are equal.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
Well then I am going to do that. :p I am not a fanboy or something for any company anyway. :) Thanks for the suggestion and heads up. :D

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
They haven't contacted back yet. Hopefully they will contact me tomorrow. Tried calling them but no one picked up even in daytime so I emailed them.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah that they did. I guess then Asus is the way to go now. DC2 has a better reputation than this Gigabyte card and if both cards are selling at nearly same price then I would rather go with Asus.

But it looks like MD haven't increased the price yet maybe I will get the card from them then. Good for MD. :p

Top Bottom