Gaming RIG for 100k

sharang.d

Youngling
First decide if you want a locked or an unlocked processor..

havoknation

Journeyman

Correct.. he wants K series cpu, so I suggest him for extreme 4 mobo. And I am suggesting him not to buy DC2 Top edition from asus as it is overpriced due to shortage in quantity. Now its his call to decide. In approx 2k more, I could give him GTX680.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ but what is the problem with Asus P8Z77-M pro with a K series processor? Asus boards are excellent overclockers. What is the difference in the prices of P8Z77-M Pro and AsRock Extreme4?

@OP Zotac GTX 670 AMP edition is an excellent card. Read this review and decide for yourself ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Edition 2 GB Review | techPowerUp

Last edited:

havoknation

Journeyman
^^ but what is the problem with Asus P8Z77-M pro with a K series processor? Asus boards are excellent overclockers. What is the difference in the prices of P8Z77-M Pro and AsRock Extreme4?

@OP Zotac GTX 670 AMP edition is an excellent card. Read this review and decide for yourself ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Edition 2 GB Review | techPowerUp

p8Z77-M pro is around 12.5k whereas Asrock Extreme 4 is available for 10,500 and extreme 4 has full ATX form factor whereas M pro has micro ATX and less features as compared to extreme4

Cilus

laborare est orare
p8Z77-M pro is around 12.5k whereas Asrock Extreme 4 is available for 10,500 and extreme 4 has full ATX form factor whereas M pro has micro ATX and less features as compared to extreme4

There is a ATX version of M Pro and I have suggested that one only. Check my 1st post. It is available at SMC on that price. I will go with Asus or Gigabyte by paying 2K/1K extra, no matter what features are provided by Asrock. Performance wise Asrock one might be a little higher currently but in long run the quality matters a lot and Asus, Gigabye boards are known for it.

@OP, when you're spending 100K then better get a K series or unlocked processor. Now now but after some time with your computer you will definitely know how to overclock and believe me, it is real easy with the K series processors. Also Z77 is a better and future proof chipset. You can go for Multi-GPU with ease in future with ease.

OP
L

lol2

Right off the assembly line
Ok Guys I have made my mind for the processor: core i5 3570k

The components for which I need suggestions:
Motherboard: Asrock Extreme 4 looks promising along with the price tag 10.5K but I am open to suggestions here

GPU: This morning I got a quotation for Asus Direct CU II for 29.5k, do we have any other Asus Direct CU II without "TOP" or they both are one and the same ? What do you guys say about Zotac 670 AMP

Cabinet: NZXT Phantom 210 or Carbide 400R or Cooler Master HAF 922 or any other cabinet. Need suggestions here

Monitor: U2312 HM is costly but I like Dell's after sales service and their premium panel guarantee (no bright pixels, 5 dead pixel) with IPS panel. In TN panels we have BenQ (G2420 HD) allows 3 bright or 5 dead (5 max bright + dead) Here we also have ST2320L and ST 2420L from dell. Need suggestions here

PSU: Is TX v2 650W sufficient if I later upgrade the GPU or add another ?

Thanks a lot for your reply guys :)

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Why we say that m-ATX is inferior to ATX mobos.... I agree that was the case some years back. But now we are seeing feature packed mobos from likes of Asus/Giagbyte/MSI. Take a look at G1.Sniper M and Maximus V Gene.... they'll give run for money for any ATX board out there which costs less than them.

What ATX mobos offer more than m-ATX is
1. Extra SATA ports - hey we are not going to run a data server right ? So 6 sata ports are more than enough for us.
2. Extra expansion slots like PCIe x1 / PCI slots - how many of us use these slots ? We only use two 16x slots for our GFX and thats it and may be a gr8 sound card in PCIe x1, that too if
we require as mobos nowadays have robust sound solutions integrated into them, like SupremeFX III in Maximus V Gene.
3. 3rd PCIe 16x slot for like having 3 GPU setup - how many of us have these ? Its only for extreme enthusiasts.

Now coming back to OPs requirements, I would recommend ASRock only when we dont have budget, else Asus / Gigabyte are the way to go. I personally have played with ASRock Extreme 6 and can tell you that the mobo has all the features out there but still is let down by its bad power design and buld quality, which is not good in long term.

1. I would strongly suggest on cutting the SSD to 60 GB and put the 4k saved in a good mobo like P8Z77-V (if you need ATX).
2. Stick to TX650V2 - gr8 PSU.
3. Get a GTX680 for 2k more as HN suggested or HD7970 if available at less cost than GTX680.
4. Rest all config suggested by HN is good.

havoknation

Journeyman
Hi All, lol2 has placed an order with me ie Havok Nation.
Thanks thinkdigit and special thanks to @mandarpalshikar and @sharang.d . I will try to update this thread with pics of his working rig. \m/

acewin

Point Blanc
save ram slots, 300 bucks of difference, saves up RAM slot for future, simple math, because now 8 GB chips are too not costly.
People tend to do multitasking, and more RAM helps, otherwise processor too gets clogged and it makes you feel whole system is slow.

sharang.d

Youngling
Don't mess with him guys.
ALWAYS use 2/4 sticks of ram on this processor because it supports DUAL channel.
It gives u little performance gain.

Inference:
Buy either 4G X 2 or 8G X 2.
Cheers

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Well there is no harm in going for 4g x2 in my opinion. Even i went for that just 1-2 months ago. I can still add 8 gb of ram and i don't think there is going to be any game in next 3-4 years which will require more than 16G of RAM.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
In this ever growing tech world nothing is good enough for next 10 years. I think we will have a DDR6/7/8 by then :p and this ddr3 will become obsolete anyway. Anyway all i am saying is that neither a 4gb or a 8gb stick(s) is a bad idea. he can go for either of the options and its totally his choice. Although in present scenario 16G is not required at all not for gaming atleast.

Top Bottom