Gaming Rig, 80 - 100k

OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
> Thank you for the comment.

> What did you find in your research :D

> I really not experienced when it comes to displays, so let other members give suggestion regarding that.

See, option 3 is the best VFM (value for money), option 2 gives the best performance and option 1 lies in between. Choose what you can afford. However, between option 1 and 3, I would choose option 3 as bith have same GPU, and fx 8350 does not lie far behind in gaming benchmarks than i5 3570k, thus making it a better option at a better budget.

Just compared i7 3770k with the FX 8350, here :p Actually, comparsion was only for VFM.
Checked prices on Flipkart - well, most of them are out of stock there.
Mainly, I'm researching ( :-D ) about the mobo Asus MAximus V Gene. Any alternatives to it?

I'd go for option 2. :)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
+1, so elegantly explained, anyways haswell will be overpriced once it enters the market... and usually enters india after a delay of about 2 months or so, add another 6 months for the prices to stabilize so about 8 months wait time, before haswell is more VFM than the current architecture

and the cycle will continue and continue till the end of the world:tired:

Just compared i7 3770k with the FX 8350, here :p Actually, comparsion was only for VFM.
Checked prices on Flipkart - well, most of them are out of stock there.
Mainly, I'm researching ( :-D ) about the mobo Asus MAximus V Gene. Any alternatives to it?

I'd go for option 2. :)

> Psst, drop that sight. Most of the advantages of i7 3770k acc. to them are that it scores better in benchmark like passmark and cinebench :p

> Avoide flipkart. Computer parts are hoghly overprcices there. You should be able to find the parts listed locally for a much lower price.

> MSI Z77a gd65
MSI Z77a g45
AsRock z77 extreme 6 (although I doubt AsRock reliability and service)

sumalatha

Banned
Hi techies :)

Had a look at this thread, but, I think, the Guide hasn't been upgraded there.

Some days back, I'd posted a forum for getting advice for a GPU and decided to go for HD 7950. Dad just agreed to get me a gaming rig - the budget is around 80k but if I'd be getting the best for 1 lakh, dad might go for it.

According to this forum, I'm answering the questions here:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mainly, Gaming! FPS Games, high-end Games, latest games! More specifically, like Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, GTA 4 (Really, I love it), COD Series! Watching movies, listening music would be on the intermediate priority list, but MAINLY GAMING!! :p :p

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 70-80k. Might raise it to 100k (I wish :mrgreen: )

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yeah, I'm reading about it!

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 8 64-Bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1-2 TB would be more than enough.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yeah, I'm buying a whole new rig! I think, screen size like 25-30 inch would do. Please guide me for the screen size and the resolution according to the GPU I'm planning to get - It's HD 7950 Vapor X Edition.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I'm planning to get everything like Speakers, Keyboard/Mouse, UPS..everything! Well, if you don't want to, you may not give the recommendation for them.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Before my B'day - 11th April 2013.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I can but my friend, the local store owner, would do it for free. :)

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Jammu. I don't think I'd be getting the latest products here but the local store would order it for me.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Yeah! Mainly, I just need recommendations on the main parts - CPU, MOBO, RAM, HDD and Display. I'd compromise for any peripheral or component for getting a better gaming rig. For the GPU, I've decided this one:

GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor X Edition.

If you've got some more time, you may answer these ones:

Haswell series worth waiting?
Should I take a sound card into consideration?
How much power would be required and which PSU would do?
Any suggestion for a Cabinet?

Here goes your best bet:

AMD FX 8350 -11000,
Asus M5A97 R2.0 -6000,
Sapphire HD7950 3GB Vapor-X -22500,
WD Black 1TB -6000,
Corsair GS600 -4500,
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz -3000,
Corsair H60 Cooler -3700,
Corsair 300R -3900,
Dell 2240L 22" LED IPS -8600,
APC 1.1Kva UPS -5500,
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 -2200,
Logitech G400 -1500,
Logitech Z313 2.1 Speakers -1650,
CM 140mm 4 BLUE LED fans -2200,
Asus 24B5ST DVDRW -1000.
TOTAL -98,100.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
sumalatha , while posting, please stop quoting the whole PC Buying template everywhere. We already know that you're suggesting as per the OP's requirement specified in the template. Still, if you wanna quote it then put it inside the SPOILER tag for not making the post unnecessary lengthy. I am giving you an example below.

Text Here [/SPOILER

I haven't finish the Third Bracket at the end to show you. While posting, make sure you end the braces. Also you can just use the SPOILER Button present by switching into the advanced mode.

sumalatha

Banned
sumalatha , while posting, please stop quoting the whole PC Buying template everywhere. We already know that you're suggesting as per the OP's requirement specified in the template. Still, if you wanna quote it then put it inside the SPOILER tag for not making the post unnecessary lengthy. I am giving you an example below.

Text Here [/SPOILER

I haven't finish the Third Bracket at the end to show you. While posting, make sure you end the braces. Also you can just use the SPOILER Button present by switching into the advanced mode.

Ok Corrected it brother and I will follow from now on as you say. I might be the only girl in the forum and I have to learn slowly.

OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
> Psst, drop that sight. Most of the advantages of i7 3770k acc. to them are that it scores better in benchmark like passmark and cinebench :p

> Avoide flipkart. Computer parts are hoghly overprcices there. You should be able to find the parts listed locally for a much lower price.

> MSI Z77a gd65
MSI Z77a g45
AsRock z77 extreme 6 (although I doubt AsRock reliability and service)

Here goes your best bet:

AMD FX 8350 -11000,
Asus M5A97 R2.0 -6000,
Sapphire HD7950 3GB Vapor-X -22500,
WD Black 1TB -6000,
Corsair GS600 -4500,
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz -3000,
Corsair H60 Cooler -3700,
Corsair 300R -3900,
Dell 2240L 22" LED IPS -8600,
APC 1.1Kva UPS -5500,
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 -2200,
Logitech G400 -1500,
Logitech Z313 2.1 Speakers -1650,
CM 140mm 4 BLUE LED fans -2200,
Asus 24B5ST DVDRW -1000.
TOTAL -98,100.

Really confused about the MOBO stuff now. :(

I've searched for many Motherboard Buying Guides but can't decide now. I mean, how and how much would the 6k valued MOBO affect my gaming over the 15k one!

sumalatha

Banned

I've searched for many Motherboard Buying Guides but can't decide now. I mean, how and how much would the 6k valued MOBO affect my gaming over the 15k one!

Because you are not going for Crossfire or SLI, you can go for Asus M5A97 R2.0 @ 6k with HD7950 GPU. If you are going for Crossfire then Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 @ 10.3k is best suited because it has PCI-E X16 x2 Slots. You only need to change your GPU 8000 Series or CPU even if Steamroller(AM3+) comes into the market if you are using Asus M5A97 R2.0 or Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 MB's(Single GPU Setup's).

Last edited:

> If you go with any k series (such as i5 3570k or i7 3770k) Intel CPU, then you should go with a motherboard with Z77 chipset to allow full CPU overclocking. In case of Amd's FX series, you should choose a 990FX chipset motherboard.

> A cheaper motherboard is designed to work, provide moderate overclocking without providing anything especial.

> In case of z77 motherboards, a good quality one will typically cost over 7-5 k while a good 990FX mobo will come from 7k and upwards.

> Cheaper mobos have lower quality prts as compared to high end mobos, thus providing not-so-good overclock, crossfire/SLI support ar multiple x16 pcie slots.

> A >15-17k mobo will typically allow you to break world records while a sub 13k mobi will easily allow you to break your home's overclocking records.

> In case of Intel, a mobo such as MSI Z77a GD65 priced at ~9k is okay even for decent overclocking. Anything above 14k is suggested ONLY because you can afford it, not necessarily because you should get it.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Asus M5A97 or any other AMD 970 Chipset based Motherboards provide two PCI-E X16 slots, one running @ X16 and other running at X4 speed. As a result only Crossfire is possible with that chipset and SLI is not possible as It needs minimum X8-X8 configuration. Also, if you are going for card like HD 7850/HD 7870 for Crossfire in the 970 based boards, the card positioned in the X16 slot running at X4 speed will be bottlenecked severely by the low memory bandwidth of X4 speed.

Only 990X and 990FX chipset based Motherboards support both SLI and Crossfire.

The choice of Motherboard does not directly affect the gaming performance as it depends more on CPU and GPU but affects the tweaking and overclocking capabilities of the other components like CPU and Ram.

Paras Lehana, unless you are not planning for Multi-GPU setup in future, get the Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 Motherboard around 7K. It is only 1K costlier than the normal M5A97, comes with 6+2 VRM design, better heat sink and overall slightly better build quality.

OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
Because you are going for Crossfire or SLI you can go for Asus M5A97 R2.0 @ 6k with HD7950 GPU. You only need to change your GPU 8000 Series or CPU even if Steamroller(AM3+) comes into the market.

Oh... you mean, I should go for 2x 7950!??

Asus M5A97 or any other AMD 970 Chipset based Mothervoards provide two PCI-E X16 slots, one running @ X16 and other running at X4 speed. As a result only Crossfire is possible with that chipset and SLI is not possible as It needs minimum X8-X8 configuration. Also, if you are going for card like HD 7850/HD 7870 for Crossfire in the 970 based boards, the card positioned in the X16 slot running at X4 speed will be bottlenecked severely by the low memory bandwidth of X4 speed.

Only 990X and 990FX chipset based Motherboards support both SLI and Crossfire.

The choice of Motherboard does not directly affect the gaming performance as it depends more on CPU and GPU but affects the tweaking and overclocking capabilities of the other components like CPU and Ram.

Paras Lehana, unless you are not planning for Multi-GPU setup in future, get the Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 Motherboard around 7K. It is only 1K costlier than the normal M5A97, comes with 6+2 VRM design, better heat sink and overall slightly better build quality.

Okay... Considering it below! Thanks mate!

> If you go with any k series (such as i5 3570k or i7 3770k) Intel CPU, then you should go with a motherboard with Z77 chipset to allow full CPU overclocking. In case of Amd's FX series, you should choose a 990FX chipset motherboard.

> A cheaper motherboard is designed to work, provide moderate overclocking without providing anything especial.

> In case of z77 motherboards, a good quality one will typically cost over 7-5 k while a good 990FX mobo will come from 7k and upwards.

> Cheaper mobos have lower quality prts as compared to high end mobos, thus providing not-so-good overclock, crossfire/SLI support ar multiple x16 pcie slots.

> A >15-17k mobo will typically allow you to break world records while a sub 13k mobi will easily allow you to break your home's overclocking records.

> In case of Intel, a mobo such as MSI Z77a GD65 priced at ~9k is okay even for decent overclocking. Anything above 14k is suggested ONLY because you can afford it, not necessarily because you should get it.

Mate, as recommended by Cilus, if I'm not going for a Multi-GPU setup, then, would the Asus M5A97 EVO be the best choice for me? Also, I won't be getting too much inside the overclocking stuff.

Again, Thanks to everyone here. :)

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
Please use quotes to avoid confusion.

Thanks for reminding man :razz:

Here is a balanced Config which includes AOC 27 inch monitor on your requirement.
Intel Core i5 i5 3570k -16k
Asus P8Z77-M PRO- 11k
GSkill 8GB DDR3-3.7k
Seagate 1tb- 3.4k
Sapphire 7950- 26k
LG DVD RW- 950
AOC E2795Vh 27 inch LED MONITOR-19.5k
CM HAF 912- 4.2k
Corsair TX 750v2-6.5k
Logitech gaming combo G100-1.8K
F&D Speaker-1.8k

Total 100k

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Recheck your prices :

Here is a balanced Config which includes AOC 27 inch monitor on your requirement.
Intel Core i5 i5 3570k -16k <- 13.5 or so.
Asus P8Z77-M PRO- 11k <- 10.5k
GSkill 8GB DDR3-3.7k
Seagate 1tb- 3.4k <- 3.8k was the last I heard.
Sapphire 7950- 26k <- 21.5k or do you mean the 7970 which is 28-29k
LG DVD RW- 950
CM HAF 912- 4.2k
Corsair TX 750v2-6.5k <- 600w is enough. 750 is excess and too much cables. Options: tx650v2, gs600, seasonic 620
F&D Speaker-1.8k

Total 100k
Good config.
Add CM Hyper 212 Evo @ 2.2k at the minimum.

d3p

PowerHouse

Intel Core i5 i5 3570k -16k
Asus P8Z77-M PRO- 11k
GSkill 8GB DDR3-3.7k
Seagate 1tb- 3.4k
Sapphire 7950- 26k
LG DVD RW- 950
CM HAF 912- 4.2k
Corsair TX 750v2-6.5k
F&D Speaker-1.8k

Total 100k

One suggestion here, Reading or browsing becomes pita if you opt for a 27incher for 1920 x 1080p, i would say don't go for it. You are just stretching the font size, but nothing else.

Dell Ultrasharp U2412H would be better or S series will be more of VFM here.

i would seriously suggest you to go for a 7790 crossfire

and do not force your dad to obtain the 100k mark.....1)for your requirement its absolutely not neccessary........the 72k rig suggested earlier is more than enough...is an overkill.......besides money is tough to earn i am sure your dad work's hard for every penny.......

d3p

PowerHouse

and do not force your dad to obtain the 100k mark.....1)for your requirement its absolutely not neccessary........the 72k rig suggested earlier is more than enough...is an overkill.......besides money is tough to earn i am sure your dad work's hard for every penny.......

:rofl:

Cilus

laborare est orare

You are our consciousness. :-D

Top Bottom