Gaming Rig, 80 - 100k

summers

Journeyman
Mate, if now I'm gonna get 850 W PSU and a high end Maximus V Gene MOBO, shan't I go for a dual gpu setup for around 30k? Would it be better than one 7970?

And if I opt for one 7970, is the 850 W PSU price worth its future proof stuff?

P.S: I'm also thinking to wait till next month's digit comes into the market.

You won't get substantial gains from a dual GPU setup compared to single HD 7970. An 850 W PSU is an overkill and simply waste of money. For futureproofing, a decent 750W PSU would do for your rig.

IMO, you should leave the concept of dual gpu setup fro now and go with HD7970.

OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
You won't get substantial gains from a dual GPU setup compared to single HD 7970. An 850 W PSU is an overkill and simply waste of money. For futureproofing, a decent 750W PSU would do for your rig.

Okay mate! :)
HD 7970 Vapor X??

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
if you want a 7970 get the vapor x though

7870 set up for more performance, 7970 setup for more quality . period

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Regarding, dual GPU setup, if you Crossfire or SLI two middle end GPU like HD 7870 or GTX 660 Ti then the performance gain over a single powerful GPU like HD 7970 or GTX 680 is pretty higher. If OP is willing to take the initial hassles of installing a dual GPU solution, then it provides better VFM and long lasting solution than a single very powerful card. Games like Crysis 3, Tomb Raider 2013, Far Cry3 etc are already stressing the highest end GPU and within 6 months, I am sure, these cards won't be able to run the upcoming demanding games with highest settings enabled, even at 1080P resolution. On that time, you can see the true power of a Multi-GPU solution.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Regarding, dual GPU setup, if you Crossfire or SLI two middle end GPU like HD 7870 or GTX 660 Ti then the performance gain over a single powerful GPU like HD 7970 or GTX 680 is pretty higher. If OP is willing to take the initial hassles of installing a dual GPU solution, then it provides better VFM and long lasting solution than a single very powerful card. Games like Crysis 3, Tomb Raider 2013, Far Cry3 etc are already stressing the highest end GPU and within 6 months, I am sure, these cards won't be able to run the upcoming demanding games with highest settings enabled, even at 1080P resolution. On that time, you can see the true power of a Multi-GPU solution.

performance gains are serious. almost 100% in some cases... but this is not a future proof solution.... for games releasing this yera its pretty good but later if OP is confident he will get another 7970 then he should go for a 7970 single set-up now and a year later add another 7970

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Dual mid range cards are doing better than the high end ones. Even a 7850cf / 660 sli can beat a 7970ghz / 680 with a decent lead. Both setups have almost same cost and power consumption.
zfulltable.png

In the link below, the min fps for a 7850 cf is the same as the avg fps for 7970ghz and 680 attained in BF3. (Do correct me if I misread the data. :razz:)
A Trio from HIS: 7970 IceQ X² GHz Edition, 7950 IceQ X² Boost Clock and 7850 IceQ Turbo X Graphics Cards Review. Page 10 - X-bit labs

IMO, the 7870 cf is still the sweet spot followed by the 660ti sli.
While the 7870cf is a little costlier @ 32k compared to 7970ghz/680, the performance/cost and longevity is unmatched and guaranteed.
660ti sli is great performer backed by the smoothness of sli, but cost is a bit high at almost 40k.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Dual mid range cards are doing better than the high end ones. Even a 7850cf / 660 sli can beat a 7970ghz / 680 with a decent lead. Both setups have almost same cost and power consumption.
View attachment 9655

In the link below, the min fps for a 7850 cf is the same as the avg fps for 7970ghz and 680 attained in BF3. (Do correct me if I misread the data. :razz:)
A Trio from HIS: 7970 IceQ X² GHz Edition, 7950 IceQ X² Boost Clock and 7850 IceQ Turbo X Graphics Cards Review. Page 10 - X-bit labs

IMO, the 7870 cf is still the sweet spot followed by the 660ti sli.
While the 7870cf is a little costlier @ 32k compared to 7970ghz/680, the performance/cost and longevity is unmatched and guaranteed.
660ti sli is great performer backed by the smoothness of sli, but cost is a bit high at almost 40k.

but with a dual 7970 we are looking at 2x that range. + increasing the longevity of the system at a minimal cost .... if the OP decides to add another 7970 even 2 years down the line it will have enough gfx power to run games.

d3p

PowerHouse

Wtf !!..Dual Gpus like 7870 CF can beat the hell out of HD7970 at price point of view and performance wise too. Get your fact correct onboard. Also the reason behind suggesting you 850w is, later you can opt for another HD7970 for CF.

Not a single 750w psu is built till date to handle 7970CF.

The only problem here is HD7870 CF not being a futureproof solution than a single HD7970.

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
Oh! I was just looking at your discussions and didn't get one thing:

Mate, can you please explain me that?

Lets say, if you opt for Two HD 7870's now & later after a year you realized its not sufficient for gaming, you won't have a option left to add another GPU into your existing Config ?? Either you would have ran out of PCIe slots or PSU can't handle the Power requirements. Worst your cabinet might not allow you for Tri-Fire.

But you get a single HD 7970 & later you can add another into this setup & you are good to go. That's why 850w is minimum.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Lets say, if you opt for Two HD 7870's now & later after a year you realized its not sufficient for gaming, you won't have a option left to add another GPU into your existing Config ??

But you get a single HD 7970 & later you can add another into this setup & you are good to go. That's why 850w is minimum.

yup thats what i also said

OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
Lets say, if you opt for Two HD 7870's now & later after a year you realized its not sufficient for gaming, you won't have a option left to add another GPU into your existing Config ?? Either you would have ran out of PCIe slots or PSU can't handle the Power requirements. Worst your cabinet might not allow you for Tri-Fire.

Thanks mate!! :)

I want to add one thing. My XII standard classes are gonna start from this April. You know, I've only one year or lil bit more to stay here at my home. After that, my dad's gonna get me a lappie. Well, I'd try to take this box to my hostel. :p So, for about two years after that, my brother would operate it. He's not into much high-end gaming.

Any suggestions? Hope you get me.

Thanks mate!! :)

I want to add one thing. My XII standard classes are gonna start from this April. You know, I've only one year or lil bit more to stay here at my home. After that, my dad's gonna get me a lappie. Well, I'd try to take this box to my hostel. :p So, for about two years after that, my brother would operate it. He's not into much high-end gaming.

Any suggestions? Hope you get me.
In that case, it would be waste of money, no offence.

OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
In that case, it would be waste of money, no offence.

You mean crossfire? Or the whole rig. I'm not insisting my dad to get it. He's getting the i7 for his own. I'm just adding a better GPU to it. He just wants the best when getting something new. That post just implied IMO may be I won't care much about future proofiness. I just want your suggestions - you're experienced to this, I'm new. That's why I added it. :)

You mean crossfire? Or the whole rig. I'm not insisting my dad to get it. He's getting the i7 for his own. I'm just adding a better GPU to it. He just wants the best when getting something new. That post just implied IMO may be I won't care much about future proofiness. I just want your suggestions - you're experienced to this, I'm new. That's why I added it. :)
I mean it's a wasate of money IF you are getting it for yourself for some gaming; as you'll be able to use it for one year only. If that's for your dad, then it's okay.

Myth

Cyborg Agent

yup thats what i also said
I had the same line of thought as you guys. Cilus explained the flip side to that notion very nicely with convincing examples.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/171421-need-some-advice-new-gpu.html#post1862579

Performance wise, the 7870cf is decently ahead of a 7970 (AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB Reference Video Cards in CrossFire - Benchmarks - 3DMark 11 :: TweakTown). Relative to a 7970, the 7870 cf setup will last in the same proportion.
By the time, the 7870 cf is expiring, the single 7970 has long expired. The market then will have new cards, more powerful, less power consuming. One is going to opt for a new set of cards, rather than add another which is 1-2 generation older.

PS: I dont know where exactly this thread is headed. Looks more like a multi gpu performance\longevity discussion than a config setup.
@OP: Post the latest config that you have finalized.

Last edited:
OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman

I had the same line of thought as you guys. Cilus explained the flip side to that notion very nicely with convincing examples.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/171421-need-some-advice-new-gpu.html#post1862579

Performance wise, the 7870cf is decently ahead of a 7970 (AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB Reference Video Cards in CrossFire - Benchmarks - 3DMark 11 :: TweakTown). Relative to a 7970, the 7870 cf setup will last in the same proportion.
By the time, the 7870 cf is expiring, the single 7970 has long expired. The market then will have new cards, more powerful, less power consuming. One is going to opt for a new set of cards, rather than add another which is 1-2 generation older.

PS: I dont know where exactly this thread is headed. Looks more like a multi gpu performance\longevity discussion than a config setup.

Thanks, mate! I'm reading the thread, *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/171421-need-some-advice-new-gpu.html#post1862579 - will post the config soon. :)

Cilus

laborare est orare

In fact I was searching that post of mine...thanks for taking your time to find it and post it here. Lets not go to CF/SLI vs single GPU performance discussion again. In simple term, if you get a CF or SLI setup of mid range cards, they will cost you almost same as the current highest end cards but will last reasonable amount longer than a single powerful GPU solution. But getting the higher end card now and plan to go for multi-gpu after 1 year is not going to work. That is the reason I suggested GamerAnand to get a HD 7870 CF instead of a single HD 7970 Matrix Platinum which is costlier than the 7870 CF setup. Now he can max out the most demanding games like Crysis 3 with higher AA setting than any single GPU cards like 680 or 7970 GHz edition.

And regarding smoothness and Micro Stuttering of CF setup, with the latest drivers, AMD has addressed them mostly. Check the latest review of Tomb Raider 2013 in Hardocp where there was no visible lag or choppiness while using HD 7970 GHz edition or HD 7870 CF setup.

OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
The post by Cilus really cleared out the doubts I had. Thanks, Cilus and Myth. :)

Here's my latest config as of now. I'm not including GPU config as I just need a last suggestion for the GPUs I should get. I'm considering 7870 and 7850 (depends on the cost of either I get here in Jammu). You may recommend me the variant I should go for.

NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

MONITOR

• Dell U2412M

HDD

• Seagate Barracuda 1/2/3 TB

CPU

• Intel Core i7 3770k

RAM

• Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (2 x 4 = 8 GB) @ 1600 MHz
  • GSkill RipjawsX (2 x 4 = 8 GB) @ 1600 MHz

MOBO