Gaming Console

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, I'd have created another thread. But @OP's and my query are somewhat same. So after reading the thread I only have this question left.

Because, I'm unable to understand what the HDD is used for if Discs are required to play the games. (Provided I don't download games from PSN. Is it really needed? What type of games are there in PSN?)

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Well, I'd have created another thread. But @OP's and my query are somewhat same. So after reading the thread I only have this question left.

Because, I'm unable to understand what the HDD is used for if Discs are required to play the games. (Provided I don't download games from PSN. Is it really needed? What type of games are there in PSN?)

The purpose of the HDD is to dump your Movies,Music,Photos etc onto it.
Most Multi-Platform Disc games require you to install some of the data to HDD for faster load times.(around 4-6GB)
On PSN there are Over-priced downloadable versions of retail games,Download only PS1 games and Indie games.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
So if I get 12GB Model, I'll be easily able to play 1 Game at a time right? And as it's PS3 I can plugin any other HDD later right?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Is it recommended to buy PS3 12GB? As 160GB is obsolete nowadays, it can't be find anywhere. Only option is 12GB or 500GB one.

Or it'd be better to look for a 2nd Hand PS3?

Well krishnandu, PS3's hdd is required for game installations. Not mandatory, but reduces load times considerably. Frame rates also become stable, if not faster. Apart from this, you can save games, download dlc's and lots of games from PSN. So loads of space is required. 500gb is definitely justified for all these purposes. PS3 hdds are basically normal 2.5inch laptop hdds. So upgrade is hassle free and does not void warranty either. File system is FAT though.

The 12gb model can also be user upgradable to incorporate a HDD. But it lacks the hdd cage which has to be purchased separately.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Each game install a small piece just to have the saved games and settings stored which is in few MB's (10-50MB) and there are few games like GT5 which will give the game an option to install some of the ingame features that reduces the load time (which is optional). So in short, 12GB is enough if u dont download games from PSN..
But i would like to remind your about PS+ free games every month.. Sony gives quality free games every month through PS+ (requires subscription to download and play) that are worht the amount we spend on the subscriptions.. For example:: Its announced that BF3, Saints Row 3 and some other are coming to PS+ for free this month.
To download and play them, we need a better HDD :)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Nice got it. Actually I'm looking for 2nd Hand 160GB Model. Not willing to shell out 22k for gaming :p

Actually I'm not a gamer, neither I love playing games. What I generally do is, install the Games, play first 2-3 Chapters and uninstall.

But I love FPS and few RPG games. I have completed COD Series, POP Series, NFS Series, Lara Tomb Series, Grid, BF3 etc. I generally like the games where you are allowed to play as a army or something.

But all these just casually, when I generally don't have anything to do. You can say I play a game in 6-9 month once.

Still, I'd love to try games on consoles. I have heard a lot. But I'm afraid about the game pricing and the console's pricing too :(

Anyway, now I guess I'm hijacking OP's thread. My queries are over :)

Thanks a lot for all the help :)

Gollum

Collector
Is it recommended to buy PS3 12GB? As 160GB is obsolete nowadays, it can't be find anywhere. Only option is 12GB or 500GB one.

Or it'd be better to look for a 2nd Hand PS3?
dont go for 12Gb version unless you plan on getting a HDD later. whic I don't know how to install.
As commander said, games have install data
120GB or more is better as games save data and also install data can be way high for the games are on BR discs.
Tekken installs 7.x GB on the HDD
tekken tag 2 installed arounf 5 gb and crysis 2 installs 3+ gb on the drive
.also the DLC content is also heavy
12 gb will be full in no time.

The purpose of the HDD is to dump your Movies,Music,Photos etc onto it.
Most Multi-Platform Disc games require you to install some of the data to HDD for faster load times.(around 4-6GB)
On PSN there are Over-priced downloadable versions of retail games,Download only PS1 games and Indie games.

O hello sirji, ever browsed PSN before?
all games on PSN are cheaper than retail

consider my latest purchase
"The last of us" on PSN is for 2499 and on retail is 2699. And this was the price on day one.
NFS Most wanted on retail on day one pre order was for 2499 and on retail the game was for 3k
All the content is even cheaper for PSN+ users

rock2702

Padawan
Sorry to hijack the thread, but just now I bought a 1 year used ps3 320gb on IVG for 12k.Moving from pc to ps3 will be difficult I guess, how do people play with controllers.

Looking forward to playing some ps3 exclusives.Also, can I hook up the ps3 to my 2560x1440 res monitor?

OP
A

Amey408

Broken In
Thanks Guy's all of ur suggestion's & advice so now i am going for PS3 so should i go for this one i will get 3 gaming titles also what u say Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 500 GB Super Slim Console + 3 Free Games - Brand New. | eBay or plz suggest any other online shopping site.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
i'd say thats overpriced...

i have some free advice incase you wanna save some money.

IMO, go for this: Sony PS3 12 GB Slim Console with Resistance Fall of Man + Little Big Planet 2 | eBay

i own a PS3 and i can assure you 12GB is enough for 2-3games installation at a time.

when LBP2 and Res are finished sell them off if you want and buy used games at half the price. ;)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^From where did you bought your console? Ebay or some store? I can see you are from Kolkata too. So can you please be specific about the store?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
So if I get 12GB Model, I'll be easily able to play 1 Game at a time right? And as it's PS3 I can plugin any other HDD later right?

If you download games from PSN you will definitely need more than 12GB. Also, single average-sized games usually dump ~3-4GB onto your HDD (and any updates that are released for your games).

@OP: Get a 500GB PS3. But look at retail stores, not Ebay. Remember, if you want to add an HDD later you will also have to buy a cage for that HDD. So the cost could be similar for a 12GB and 500GB PS3.

Surely you're not buying a PS3 for 3-4 games? If you intend to play lots of games on your PS3 without having to resort to removing data every now and then, then a PS3 with HDD is a better purchase.

Also, if you buy one with an HDD, the HDD is covered under sony India's warranty. If you buy one without HDD the warranty for the HDD will be separate.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Thanks Guy's all of ur suggestion's & advice so now i am going for PS3 so should i go for this one i will get 3 gaming titles also what u say Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 500 GB Super Slim Console + 3 Free Games - Brand New. | eBay or plz suggest any other online shopping site.

Go Get It :)
JRS game store are a.... well,lets say "subsidiary" of these guys(I read it up on IVG forums)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Joined IVG. Looking for some 2nd Hand PS3. I have repied to few threads.

But being a newbie to this whole area, I'd like to know is there anything that I should be sure before buying a 2nd Hand PS3?

I have google a bit and came to know about CFW, ofcourse there are advantages but is there any problem with CFW on it?

Also, I think there are PS3 of different firmwares. Does that matter? Isn't all of them upgradable to latest firmware?

Also if possible please let me know whether the price is justified : *www.indianvideogamer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40268

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Yes, all PS3s are update-able.

For 2nd hand consoles be aware that if the warranty is over or not applicable in India, if the console goes south, you will have to cough up 50% of the MRP of the current equivalent to get a new one. For instance when my 160GB fat PS3 from Hong Kong died, I had to pay Rs. 8495 to get a new 160GB but now-discontinued slim PS3 (MRP 16,990).

With CFW you lose out on PSN and updates to legit games. The advantage is being able to run hombrew applications. You also lose out on warranty so keep it in mind. I personally think it is not worth the risk- I have plenty of DLC and games in PSN (bundled with retail copies of my games) so I would not modify my PS3.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^No that one is not Modded. It's running on stock firmware. And the warranty is over. It's worth taking the risk I guess? Any electronics can get kaput at any point of time.

Top Bottom