Galaxy S2 vs. L9 vs. Desire X?

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
Hey everyone,

By chance, I'm getting the Galaxy S2 for Rs. 19,000, box packed from one of my friends.

However, before picking up this deal, I just wanted to be sure it's a smart thing to do. The other handsets I was considering were LG L9 [for screen] and HTC Desire X [for HTC build quality and looks].

Please do suggest which is the best out of these. I don't game much, but need decent battery life as I have a daily talk time of about 1.5hr and send about 200 SMS in a day apart from maybe 1 hour of browsing. Open to other suggestions as well, definitely want a screen >= 4 inches, and most importantly, absolutely NO LAG. I cannot tolerate it at all and will sell the phone in a day if it lags at all. Also, the phone needs to have a strong radio, as I am often in low-reception areas. I sold my old Dell Venue Pro mainly because the reception was pathetically weak.

perplexed

Journeyman
Hey everyone,

By chance, I'm getting the Galaxy S2 for Rs. 19,000, box packed from one of my friends.

However, before picking up this deal, I just wanted to be sure it's a smart thing to do. The other handsets I was considering were LG L9 [for screen] and HTC Desire X [for HTC build quality and looks].

Please do suggest which is the best out of these. I don't game much, but need decent battery life as I have a daily talk time of about 1.5hr and send about 200 SMS in a day apart from maybe 1 hour of browsing. Open to other suggestions as well, definitely want a screen >= 4 inches, and most importantly, absolutely NO LAG. I cannot tolerate it at all and will sell the phone in a day if it lags at all. Also, the phone needs to have a strong radio, as I am often in low-reception areas. I sold my old Dell Venue Pro mainly because the reception was pathetically weak.

Dunno about other features but if you are talking of LAGs, IMO best option would be to go with S2..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
don't know why everyone bring the crappy desire X into the discussion every time:
  • slow Cortex A5 processor
  • slow Adreno 203 GPU
  • no 720p recording
  • 720p video may have hard time playing on it
  • stuck on Android 4.0
  • FWVGA resolution only
  • no front cam

for 19k, S2 makes sense but is getting quite a bit old. If it the I9100G version then go for it. on the other hand go for L9 if you want a big screen (with even better resolution) but you get less internal memory (compared to S2).

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
don't know why everyone bring the crappy desire X into the discussion every time:
  • slow Cortex A5 processor
  • slow Adreno 203 GPU
  • no 720p recording
  • 720p video may have hard time playing on it
  • stuck on Android 4.0
  • FWVGA resolution only
  • no front cam

for 19k, S2 makes sense but is getting quite a bit old. If it the I9100G version then go for it. on the other hand go for L9 if you want a big screen (with even better resolution) but you get less internal memory (compared to S2).

Sam, exactly my concern. The S2's become quite dated now. I know that on the flip side it's resulted in it having an absolutely outstanding selection of ROMs.

Now, I'm even more confused since a mod is siding with the L9 :p I thought it was a no-brainer [there's a reason the S2's market price is 7k higher].

How does the L9 stack up against the S2 in everything apart from the screen?

Also, why exactly is the l9100G version better? This post seems to state otherwise : *techie-buzz.com/android/samsung-galaxy-s2-i9100-vs-i9100g-difference.html.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
guess i missed something. read quite sometime ago that Samsung has not released important documents for the Exynos processors but looks the issue is resolved. And L9 & I9100G packs exactly same chipset. and L9 will eventually get custom rom support just like rest of lg lineup. For 19k, better spend your money on S2.
Also Galaxy Nexus is available for ~20k but without warranty (imported).

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
guess i missed something. read quite sometime ago that Samsung has not released important documents for the Exynos processors but looks the issue is resolved. And L9 & I9100G packs exactly same chipset. and L9 will eventually get custom rom support just like rest of lg lineup. For 19k, better spend your money on S2.
Also Galaxy Nexus is available for ~20k but without warranty (imported).

Little confused, if L9 and S2 have exactly the same chipset, and L9 has an obviously better screen, then why go for S2?

And Gnex was my first option... until I read that several handsets have serious reception problems.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
only the I9100G has same spec as L9 and in this case L9 wins. If you can be sure that the mobile is indeed I9100, go for it else you are taking a big chance if you are interested in custom rom. Decide on this basis.

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
That's so strange. Why is the S2 priced so much higher than the L9 if the L9 beats it virtually everywhere?

dixit8611

Journeyman
That's so strange. Why is the S2 priced so much higher than the L9 if the L9 beats it virtually everywhere?
I guess it is the brand impact, another example is optimus 4x HD, which is only slightly slower than galaxy s3 and it is priced at almost 10k lesser than galaxy s3.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

S2 never received a pricecut. debuted at 30-31k and after 1.5yr it is now priced at 25k. Samsung doesn't care to lower the price as it was selling like hot cake. Now S3 Mini will (or maybe has) replace S2 so why care about pricecut. Instead they'll simply discontinue it.

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
Ah okay. Makes some sense. Although personally I feel the L9 is just LG being really aggressive with pricing because no other phone in the sub-20k bracket has those kind of specs, AFAIK. \

Can't seem to find many reviews of the L9 though, especially the South-Asian version that sports a 4.7 inch display instead of the US 4.5. So wondering if I should just give up on the extra screen space and purchase the tried and tested GS2. I'm quite unsure of LG's durability + service.

hari1

In the zone
If you are not into gaming then you should wait for cheap wp8 phones. You will get ABSOLUTELLY NO LAG. It is just like iPhone but with much better interface and more openness.

aroraanant

Explorer
S2 for the price is really good I think, but do have a look at Desire X and then decide, as in terms of looks it wins

Top Bottom