Galaxy Note 2 Fell in water

ajayritik

Technomancer
It was one of my trip for my birthday and I dropped the phone in the sea water yesterday.
I left the phone for around 1-2 hours after removing battery etc.
After coming back home I kept phone for charging and when I switched on the phone I saw a white/yellow screen and a red light blinking on the top.
After that I have kept the phone as it is i.e. dismantled with the battery removed and SIM card and SD Card removed from the slot.
I know I did a mistake in having the phone charged in curiosity to check if it's gone bad.
It's just over 24 hrs since this happened. Should I leave it as it is for a day or two or more or should I try now.

Kindly suggest what should I do.

ashs1

Padawan
Yeah.. You should not have charged it.. It may have caused excess damage.. For future purposes, if the phone falls in water, dry it gently using soft cloth and keep it inside rice box.. Rice absorbs moisture.
( never use hair dryer as well)

Minion

Conversation Architect
I think you have damaged your phone completly by charging. Take it to service center see what they say I am afraid that you damaged your phone beyond repair.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
The problem was when the phone fell in water the battery was almost drained. Hence I thought the phone may not be switching on because of the battery being low hence I tried charging it.

I had several times experienced my earlier phones like Nokia and Sony getting drenched in rain but after keeping them dismantled for couple of days they were up and running.

Now I have put them in rice bag. Should I leave it like that for a day or two or take it to the Service Center ASAP?
So guys what's the worst case scenario for me here.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
The problem was when the phone fell in water the battery was almost drained. Hence I thought the phone may not be switching on because of the battery being low hence I tried charging it.

I had several times experienced my earlier phones like Nokia and Sony getting drenched in rain but after keeping them dismantled for couple of days they were up and running.

Now I have put them in rice bag. Should I leave it like that for a day or two or take it to the Service Center ASAP?

Power IC may go kaput, which may render the mobo useless which means your phone may die.

Minion

Conversation Architect

Nope take it to service center ASAP.

amjath

Human Spambot
Put the phone in rice bag and place it under mild sun light for a day, then try powering up the device. Before that check if the device is completely dry

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Put the phone in rice bag and place it under mild sun light for a day, then try powering up the device. Before that check if the device is completely dry

Trying it out now. Have kept it in rice bag yesterday night.

However my main worry is that battery drained out completely when it fell in water. So I guess I should try to get a charged battery and put it and try. Without charging the phone I don't think I can check the display etc.
Any ideas?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Keep the phone in sunlight for 2hrs
no need to keep it in Rice
remove the battery and case before keeping in sunlight

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
So guys I will go for the option I was planning that is having the phone kept open with battery removed for a day or two.
So you guys saying have it kept preferably out in sun?
Nobody has still not responded to my query regarding battery being drained out. After keeping it out in sun should I try with another battery?

Zangetsu

So guys I will go for the option I was planning that is having the phone kept open with battery removed for a day or two.
So you guys saying have it kept preferably out in sun?
Nobody has still not responded to my query regarding battery being drained out. After keeping it out in sun should I try with another battery?
Yes keep it outside SUN and it really works....
if the sunlight can kill foul smell bacteria from your shoes then it will also work for drying all the water out :-D

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I will wait for one final call on whether I need to take it to Service center ASAP or should I leave it open in sun.

- - - Updated - - -

Minion suggesting to take it to Service Center ASAP.
amjath suggesting to put in rice bag and sun
Zangetsu suggesting to put out in sun

Minion

Conversation Architect
No, Take it to service center they can tell you if your phone can be repaired else you only waste your time.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
No, Take it to service center they can tell you if your phone can be repaired else you only waste your time.

What if they ask 10k for the repair work? His phone has been out of warranty for more than a year I think. In that case, [MENTION=29208]ajayritik[/MENTION], dump the samdung and get a Yureka/Oneplus One. :p

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
dont keep it in the sun etc
just take a bag of rice and keep the phone and battery separately in a netted bag in the bag of rice
the rice will absorb the moisture and cant be consumed later :p
keep it for 2 days and dont disturb it
even if it boots etc now itll ruin the phone later thanks to hidden moisture
rice will absorb moisture from nooks and cranies,keeping it in the sun wont
sun might even cause more damage imho
dont keep it in the sun either trust me
also sea water spells even more trouble imho
id open it up and see once the rice thing is done or take it to a technician
sea water is bad in the long run

Zangetsu

[MENTION=29208]ajayritik[/MENTION]: take it to service center and if charged exorbitantly than return back and follow other ideas

amjath

Human Spambot
If the phone fell into water, they will definitely charge lot more. Rather we can give it a try to dry it off. What if it boots after it gets dried. In a day or two, hope siomething good happens

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Well I left it in the rice sack in the morning and now took it back. I kept the battery back and put it for charging.
At least the last couple of days I got red light blinking now that's gone as well.
I fear something bad would have happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like this is one wise decision which I should follow now.
dont keep it in the sun etc
just take a bag of rice and keep the phone and battery separately in a netted bag in the bag of rice
the rice will absorb the moisture and cant be consumed later :p
keep it for 2 days and dont disturb it
even if it boots etc now itll ruin the phone later thanks to hidden moisture
rice will absorb moisture from nooks and cranies,keeping it in the sun wont
sun might even cause more damage imho
dont keep it in the sun either trust me
also sea water spells even more trouble imho
id open it up and see once the rice thing is done or take it to a technician
sea water is bad in the long run

[MENTION=29208]ajayritik[/MENTION]: take it to service center and if charged exorbitantly than return back and follow other ideas
Only thing I'm thinking should I keep it out in sun tomorrow early morning or not.

I remember atleast 2-3 times my phone got drenched in rain fell in water pool but I was able to get it back in 2-3 days after leaving it in rice bag. All of the below.
LG Optimus Net
Nokia 5420
Sony Ericcson K750i.

And these were not quite lesser priced than my current Note2.

- - - Updated - - -

Got it checked at a local mobile store.
The first guy didn't have another spare battery to check so he connected some meter and told phone body looks ok and that I need to leave it and collect tomorrow.
The second guy put a new battery and I heard a sound as if the phone booted with a green light but no display, the guy was saying maybe the display is gone and needs the phone to be left for longer period to have it checked.
I think maybe tomorrow I need to take it to Samsung Service Center.

Top Bottom