Galaxy Note 2 Fell in water

icebags

Technomancer
well, just don't put it under direct sunlight, there is always a chance that some components may get damaged due to excess light radiation.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Well I left it in the rice sack in the morning and now took it back. I kept the battery back and put it for charging.
At least the last couple of days I got red light blinking now that's gone as well.
I fear something bad would have happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like this is one wise decision which I should follow now.

Only thing I'm thinking should I keep it out in sun tomorrow early morning or not.

I remember atleast 2-3 times my phone got drenched in rain fell in water pool but I was able to get it back in 2-3 days after leaving it in rice bag. All of the below.
LG Optimus Net
Nokia 5420
Sony Ericcson K750i.

And these were not quite lesser priced than my current Note2.

- - - Updated - - -

Got it checked at a local mobile store.
The first guy didn't have another spare battery to check so he connected some meter and told phone body looks ok and that I need to leave it and collect tomorrow.
The second guy put a new battery and I heard a sound as if the phone booted with a green light but no display, the guy was saying maybe the display is gone and needs the phone to be left for longer period to have it checked.
I think maybe tomorrow I need to take it to Samsung Service Center.

yeah
i highly suggest getting it checked because sea water spells trouble for internal components

Minion

Conversation Architect
What if they ask 10k for the repair work? His phone has been out of warranty for more than a year I think. In that case, [MENTION=29208]ajayritik[/MENTION], dump the samdung and get a Yureka/Oneplus One. :p

unfortunately to know that he has to take his phone to service center.

amjath

Human Spambot
well, just don't put it under direct sunlight, there is always a chance that some components may get damaged due to excess light radiation.

Exactly, thats why i pointed out in my first post to keep it "under mild sun light"

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I got the good news finally. I gave the phone to Samsung Service center and they said Motherboard and Display are gone and I need to shell out 13k to repair this.
This doesn't look a good deal to me. If the phone was in working condition I don't think it would have fetched more than 12k.
So unless there is some sentimental thing I think I better leave the phone as it is.
:(

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I got the good news finally. I gave the phone to Samsung Service center and they said Motherboard and Display are gone and I need to shell out 13k to repair this.
This doesn't look a good deal to me. If the phone was in working condition I don't think it would have fetched more than 12k.
So unless there is some sentimental thing I think I better leave the phone as it is.

13k for that 2 year old crap? :rofl:

Better buy a new Yureka for 9k or Oneplus One for 22k. Even that 9k Yureka is miles better than Note 2. :lol:

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
All this because I got overexcited playing in sea waves.
I requested the service center guys to leave it like that for couple of hours and see if drying works.
I have read last nite in couple of forums wherein people were able to have the phone up by keeping it in rice bag etc.
But in my case maybe damage has already been done.
I'm planning to opt for either a basic phone without any Android or anyother OS or go for basic Android phone.
Don't have the budget for anything over 4k now.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
1. My only doubt is after this guy confirmed that the motherboard is gone and display is gone will it help by keeping this out in sun.
2. Secondly I remember the other day when I showed to other service center guy he put new battery and then I heard the sound that we normally hear when the phone gets switched off or if we restart the phone. I Guess if mother board had a problem then it should not have given that boot up sound.

Any ideas?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
One last question. Can I still have any chance in case I Leave it to dry either in sun or a rice bag?

its worth a try
if i were you,id keep it in a bag of rice with everything open(battery cover,battery etc) and wait for 3-4 days
then attempt to open it by following youtube tear-down videos
then try cleaning the components and try using another battery to boot it up(dont spend money at all,borrow one or something)
^^try the above before doing anything else
you have nothing to lose by trying it at this point
ive done this to my 9790 before and it worked(seawater situation in my case too)
only my back button broke,rest of the phone was fine and was still usable despite everything

- - - Updated - - -

1. My only doubt is after this guy confirmed that the motherboard is gone and display is gone will it help by keeping this out in sun.
2. Secondly I remember the other day when I showed to other service center guy he put new battery and then I heard the sound that we normally hear when the phone gets switched off or if we restart the phone. I Guess if mother board had a problem then it should not have given that boot up sound.

Any ideas?

dont try heating it with a hair dryer or the sun youll only make it worse
my advice regarding bag of rice and opening it up is worth a try at this point and wont break anything(if you follow youtube guides on opening it up carefully)

icebags

Technomancer
Exactly, thats why i pointed out in my first post to keep it "under mild sun light"

well, intensity of light is not always the matter, semiconductors/metals sometimes respond to specific frequencies. and sunlight is a lot of frequencies together. nowadays many components come without insulation covers or as bare semiconductors for cost cutting, they tend to get affected easily. watch this video :

i would say don't expose an electronic item to direct sunlight unless its meant for that, once i damaged my mouse like that.

[YOUTUBE]SrDfRCi1UV0[/YOUTUBE]

Top Bottom