G502 vs 5130 xm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devianz

Right off the assembly line
I plugged my 5800's 8gb card straight in 5130 to shut the mouth of se rep who was telling nokia dont support high capacity card and it become slow and bla bla bla. It worked perfectly . Startup was consideranly slower but after that no slowness or whatever . Same for the music player , scanning was slow(with ~1500 songs) but then it was ok . Dont worry about card capacity as long as you put good branded original card.

I'm using 5130XM with 4Gb card...has 1200 songs and around 50 videos in mp4 format.

Here are my observations...
After restarting the phone media player will update its library and this process takes some time because of more number of music files.
Folder browsing speed is not affected by the number of sub-folders or music files in a particular folder.
However it is affected if the files inside are java files like games or applications(.jar). The more java files you have in a folder the more time it takes to open the folder. But i think it is same in case of 1Gb card as well.

About the audio quality....its awesome
the default headphone is crap...you will have to buy good quality headphones to take full advantage of the superb music quality it produces.
According to GSMArena 5130 is has better audio quality than 5800XM and most SE walkmans other than W995(pretty much same). I dont know to what extend its true.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
First of all, sorry for a late response....i was out of station for a week...!!
Now, on topic,finally i bought Nokia 5130XM.
Current price : Rs. 5300
With such a praise from other co-members lead me to buy this one rather than G502.
But in reality, there are still some other reasons y i bought this one...

yeah yeah...its XM so sound quality must be gud....camera is also very gud, although i havnt tested its camera more.

But, when i asked the dealer for G502, most of them were unaware of this model, one said its very much outdated. Somehow, i got its price which is Rs. 6900 (rough figure), as no one had the phone in their stock or so.
This was most shocking that, i went to small-local dealers to showrooms like Hotspot, MobileStore etc, but none had this phone, SE G502.

Moreover, the price tag forced me to buy 5130, its awesome in this price beating all other competitives.

One more thing, i like the new message that pops out when the battery is full, "Save energy.....plug out from wall socket". Its really gud, people have tendency to leave the phone in charge without much care.

But now i have few questions for u guyz....
1. can anyone tell me, whats the current firmware in 5130 ? Should i update this (the phone software/firmware) now ?

2. Do i need extra drivers to connect to Nokia PC suite ? Or simply updating NPC Suite work efficiently ?

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
[Offtopic]
One more thing, i would like to share, when i was trying this phone at the shop the dealer introduced one more phone at the same price, exactly same : LG GM 200
The most exciting feature of this phone is its Dolby 2.1 surround subwoofer with 2 side speakers. This phone sounds awesome and beats many Walkman series & XM series phones. Moreover, one can play FM without handsfree and can record too....

But the overall look of the phone is just crap......denying me to buy this one......really its awful, also i personally dont like the interface/firmware of LG phones......(although its my personal reviews )

But if anyone wants to buy a phone, only for music intent.........this one is best n cheap......!!

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
No need to worry about drivers , it comes with the pc suite . . It install when you plug in the mobile phone in comp . . Make sure u download the latest pc suite . .

Tamoghno

Padawan
[Offtopic]

But the overall look of the phone is just crap......denying me to buy this one......really its awful, also i personally dont like the interface/firmware of LG phones......(although its my personal reviews )

LG's software is shitloaded crap. Phone is crap. I've used one lg phone once & i'll never use any lg phone anymore even if i get it free.

A

anarchist

^ +1
I have also once purchased lg phone by mistake, i sold it at half price within 2 months, major points of lg phone:
-poor java support
-poor battery backup
-bugs? Phone hanging...

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
Why do people always tend to go on brand names where there are more better products within the same range and yet a good brand?! No doubt that the two phones are good but yet there are some other products in the market which gives excellent VFM.

Samsung SGH L700 which comes within 7k is an awesome phone. It has got 2MP Camera with inbuilt flash and supports a resolution of 1600x1200. Supports upto 8GB memory and has got a handsome look. It's slimness adds to it's beauty. The sound quality is excellent and comes with good earphones. It supports micro blogging as well. And the best feature is that it supports 3G. The only place where it goes back is that the battery backup is somewhat not as Nokia mobiles. But it still gives a backup of 1 to 1.5 days on standby mode. If you can ignore this shortcoming then it is one of the best VFM phone.

It ranges from 6.5k to 6.9k depending on the places. :)

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
yeah, its at 7K, here in delhi.....but i personally feel that SAMSUNG n LG phones are at the same level in terms of interface/firmware or normally how can we deal with the softwares in the phone. You have very less power of manipulating/customising things there in, an ex of that is one cant install themes in these phones (i dont know abt high end phones, but here telling abt normal mid-entry level phones ).

But yes definitely, samsung SGH L700 has very gud metallic look.

Tamoghno

Padawan
@ Dj

i dont know if you guyz care about call quality but imo samsung call quality just sucks ball. I can compromise on all other features but call quality , battery backup and ui are three aspects i can not compromise. Until samsung can give call quality comparable to nokia/motorola samsung will not get my money atleast.

Btw L700 have great looks but i dont agree that it have good sound quality . It dont stand a chance against 5130 in sound quality. The bundled earphone are unusually big and dont fit in most peoples ear. If you call this sound 'excellent' you should check out 5130+shp9700 combo.

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
^ Call quality just sucks balls??? OMG I don't think you have used this phone....the call quality is crystal clear and sounds good ones. I dunno about other Samsung phones but this one has no complain on this issue.

The ear buds bundled gives decent sound and I too do think 5130 is better in terms of music but in terms of call quality, you are completely wrong.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
In terms of music n sound quality........5130 rocks......!!!
But i think, with the tag "XM", there are still chances for the improvement of bundled headsets..... :D i think im getting too greedy........:D

raksrules

Youngling
^^ Buddy i too need to buy the 5130XM for my brother. I have even opened a thread (did not look at this thread before). I have heard that there are lots of problems like phone hanging when music is playing or call is on ?
Is it only the old firmware or you too have experienced the same issue ?
What is the FW version you have got and is it the latest one ?

Is there any place where i can see a log of what a new firwmare has added / rectified for the phone ?

Tamoghno

Padawan
^^ nokia usually dont release changelog for their firmware . The phones my friends are having came with latest firmware so i cant change the difference , but what i can tell is there is no major problem i've noticed . Music player is very fast even after putting 8gb card.

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
@rak007
i checked but i think i have the latest firmware.......till now...the phone is working very smoothly....... really recommended to buy.....
there may be some defective ones...that u r talking abt....!!

Devianz

Right off the assembly line
^^ Buddy i too need to buy the 5130XM for my brother. I have even opened a thread (did not look at this thread before). I have heard that there are lots of problems like phone hanging when music is playing or call is on ?
Is it only the old firmware or you too have experienced the same issue ?
What is the FW version you have got and is it the latest one ?

Is there any place where i can see a log of what a new firwmare has added / rectified for the phone ?

Go ahead and buy 5130 without any fears. I've been using 5130 since march and haven't faced any serious hang or restart issues. Some people used to have hang and restart problem when it first released with firmware 5.80 but nokia rectified that problem with later firmware updates. I have updated mine to 6.65 and its gr8. Using 4Gb microSD with it.
The main change in 6.65 as claimed by most users is rectification of hang and restart problem. The other noticeable change is the addition of flight mode.
The latest firmware is 6.93, all new phns in market come with 6.93. So you won't have to update it yourself.
If you can shell out 1k extra buy a good earphone like SHH9700.

k4ce

Youngling
I strongly feel tat ppl always say my budget is xx , so i'll buy a fone for xx .... instead save a lil for a mem card and a good pair of earphones ...

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
I've been using 5130 since march and haven't faced any serious hang or restart issues. Some people used to have hang and restart problem when it first released with firmware 5.80 but nokia rectified that problem with later firmware updates. I have updated mine to 6.65 and its gr8.
T
The latest firmware is 6.93, all new phns in market come with 6.93.

I jus bought the phone and it has v 6.65 in it and variant 255.01

what is this "variant" ?
should i update to 6.93 ? Do online updating format all settings or any risk?

Can anyone tell me whats the change with 6.65 to 6.93 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom