From Athlon II 240 to Phenom II 560 will it be a significant upgrade

mang

Broken In
I need your help please i am running Athlon II 240 with AM3 board, the proc is somewhat slow for this age, i would like to upgrade to a better cpu without changing the board to save money, however these day AM3 cpu are kind of rare the only viable option is Phenom II 560 as per market trend, and my budget is Rs. 5000 (or + /*-- 10% ) so the P560 seems tobe the only option. If i do so then will it be a worthy upgrade ? or is it not worth it ............

OP
mang

mang

Broken In
upgrade to X4 960. worth the money.

then what will be the price and from where is available online shopping preferred.

Yes, the upgrade is worth it.

How much performance gain is expected from upgrade ?

Let me change a bit and put it in this way:-

Which would be a better upgrade considering my present config
1. cpu upgrade to Phenom II 560 or
2. Graphic upgrade to HD6450/HD5450

as I want to experience a better productivity and brilliant graphic on a low budget and it will not be possible for me to do both upgrade and to extent my budget to cover the faster hardware than mentioned above it is mostly use for watching movies, surfing net also i casually game occasionally. Would want to upgrade when Window 8 is out so, 8 support is also important factor.

Current config is:-
CPU - Athlon II 240
IGP - HD4200 (onboard)
RAM - 4 GB DDR3 1333
HDD - 500 GB SATA 6Gbps (but mobo is SATA 3 Gbps)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Upgrade the CPU.
HD6450/HD5450 are alternative to iGPU, not meant for gaming and sometimes BD playback.
Talking about graphics card, the minimum choice should be HD6670, which is entry level gaming graphics card.

aloodum

Journeyman
@mang : I assume your gonna buy the new phenom after selling ur existing x2 240? Something like 5k-2k=3k?
Option 1:
I suggest you look for used X4 955/965...Most of them are selling from anywhere from 3.5k to 4.5k based on age/model.I assume your board has 95W cpu(for quad, X2 need 80W) support as most am3/am3+ ones do.
Option 2:
In-case you want new then i see no other choice than the 560 given your constraint of budget+sticking to same mobo...i'm not aware if the current batches unlock into a stable tri core/quad core, that would be based on your luck and mobo(if it supports core unlocker_check your bios version)

The X450 cards you've chosen stay in the lowest end of the ladder graphic ladder as suggested by d6bmg above.I suggest , you invest in a used Gt240/5670, once again coming anywhere from 1.5k-2.5k based on age/model

And lastly, do save up to invest in a good branded psu. All that hardware will be put to risk with a generic cheap A$$ psu

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Op - you won't see much performance difference if you upgrade to PIi 560 - so better spend the whole amount on the gpu .. at 5.5k you can get HD6670 1GB GDDr5 or spend 500/1000 bucks more to get HD6770.

OP
mang

mang

Broken In
@ Op - you won't see much performance difference if you upgrade to PIi 560 - so better spend the whole amount on the gpu .. at 5.5k you can get HD6670 1GB GDDr5 or spend 500/1000 bucks more to get HD6770.
It looks like it's better to abandon the idea of upgrade and better save for total system upgrade, doesn't it so?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you want a total system upgrdae then it would be wiser to wait for it and increase the budfget .. but if a gfx card is only what you want and need don't settle for anything lesser than HD6770/HD7770. Also GTX 650 Ti just relased .. so wait a little even if you want to upgrade the GPU only.

OP
mang

mang

Broken In
I do the gfx upgrade to Sapphire HD 6450 1gb ddr3. But I could not let the Catalyst CCC work with the card . any help ? I do installed the Catalyst software but is does not work (ref. popup 1)

Attachments

• NoAMDdriver.jpg
    NoAMDdriver.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 86
  • devicemanager.jpg
    devicemanager.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 87

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
you installed the gfx driver and CCC came with the gfx card CD ? well uninstall them completely - use driversweeper to remove any leftover traces and install the complete package from here :

AMD Catalyst
or
AMD Catalyst

Top Bottom