Friend leaving to US this weekend. Any imp list of things that he needs to carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayritik

Technomancer
My friend will be leaving to US this weekend. Are there any things that he needs to carry over there from here which will not be available in US. Couple of things that I need to check.
1. Can he use his SE W 700i there? Just like how we get SIM cards here in India do we get the same kind of thing in US or does he have to sign up for a plan that requires him to purchase a new mobile with the connection?
2. Should he buy an international calling card from here itself or can he buy it online in US? Which one would be better?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
1. Can he use his SE W 700i there? Just like how we get SIM cards here in India do we get the same kind of thing in US or does he have to sign up for a plan that requires him to purchase a new mobile with the connection?
I believe there are a new GSM networks there but I haven't yet tried to use a Phone from here there so not sure. Most plans provide a basic phone for free anyway although its crappy it does get the job done.

2. Should he buy an international calling card from here itself or can he buy it online in US? Which one would be better?
Go with one or two calling cards from here although its expensive it will satisfy your need till you find a store (Indian Store most likely) which gives out Calling cards specifically to India. For $2 cards I believe we used to get 20-30 minutes. however you do not want to try disconnecting from a call once made.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
carry protection too
ROFLMAO

Basically you want to take anything that you can't get from other US Supermarkets. No don't plan on taking plants with you if you have a green thumb :). This couple who was in the line in front of me was having their bags checked. Suddenly the Customs dude who was checking jerks his hand out suddenly and yelps. He pulls out something and has the "WTF are you serious look on his face" it happened to be a Stem of a Rose plant :D.

If you are the kind that makes steamcake (Folks from Kerala isn't that what Puttu is called?)or Iddli you might want to take that with you . A smaller version though. Pressure cookers are also nice. I always take a simple Rubber slippers with me cause I love wearing them outside.

din

Tribal Boy
Basically you want to take anything that you can't get from other US Supermarkets. No don't plan on taking plants with you if you have a green thumb :). This couple who was in the line in front of me was having their bags checked. Suddenly the Customs dude who was checking jerks his hand out suddenly and yelps. He pulls out something and has the "WTF are you serious look on his face" it happened to be a Stem of a Rose plant :D. .

:D :D ROTFL

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United

The W700i will work there, though you will have to take a prepaid connection there. Take the one from AT&T (called AT&T GoPhone, I personally have used that). For that you do not require a Social Security Number and a minimum commitment of say 1-2 yrs (there is no minimum commitment). All cell phone providers usually provide connection with phone free with a minimum contract term. Do not go for that, SSN is required for that and to get SSN from federal govt, it usually takes 2-3 weeks.

Your option is prepaid phone.

Most local indian stores in US will sell you calling cards for calls to India. The cheapest I have found and used mostly is Reliance Calling card, comes in $5, $10, etc denominations. A contact number is required to buy a reliance calling card. At the time of my deparature from the US, calls to India were costing 7.4 cents per min. Go to www.relianceindiacall.com for more info.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
the SE W700i wont work there coz US networks work on the 850 Mhz spectrum which is not supported by the W700i.Tell him to get a cheap contract phone there.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Depends on on how long he will be in US. For a short period of time (year or so), buy prepaid phone. Virgin mobile has cheapest plans around, no contract, and works on CDMA. You will get a free basic phone too. And you get pressure cookers in Indian stores. For calling, I use Rebtel. Cheaper than any other calling cards and you get $10 bonus when you sign up. pretty cool, huh?

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
the SE W700i wont work there coz US networks work on the 850 Mhz spectrum which is not supported by the W700i.Tell him to get a cheap contract phone there.
Man, this is bad news for him. He is planning to stay for maybe around one month. or max 2 months. Nothing beyond that. Couple of people here are telling it may work! So let's see if it works out there.

One more thing I wanted to check is whether Vodafone Network will work in US? I heard about international roaming available for Vodafone. I'm not sure whether it exists there.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Does anyone here use Skype? I have heard about the software but never used it. The only thing I know about it is that we can make calls to US free if we have two computers. Anything else that somebody can add?

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Does anyone here use Skype? I have heard about the software but never used it. The only thing I know about it is that we can make calls to US free if we have two computers. Anything else that somebody can add?

Through Skype you can make free PC-PC calls, provided both parties have microphone, speaker and a fast internet connection. For PC-phone calls, you need to buy credit.

Same is with Yahoo Messenger voice calls.

the SE W700i wont work there coz US networks work on the 850 Mhz spectrum which is not supported by the W700i.

Why won't it work in the US? W700i is a triband phone.

*www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/specifications/w700i

Tell him to get a cheap contract phone there.

Contract phones will mandatorily require SSN, a bank account with debit/credit card and a permanent contact number. Before your contract gets approved there is a background check and a check on your credit history. The US govt won't give him a SSN if he is on tourist visa. And you cannot use any other person's SSN as this is against the law. And after applying for SSN (provided he is on H1/L1, etc), they normally take 3 weeks to mail you the social security card. This is not feasible as he is there for only a couple of months.

Secondly normal contracts there are for 2 yrs, penalty of cancelling the contract before the minimum period is $175.

Last edited:

RaghuKL

Swalpa Adjust Maadi
Dunno about the things to carry. But surely give him a list of items to bring back . OK ;-):rolleyes:

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Forgot about one thing! Even if the cellphone works on the network in US, how about charging the cellphone. How will he charge the cellphone? The power adapter would be different in US. So the only options left for him are to buy a SE Charger or find some adaptor which can convert his existing charger to be used in the socket there. I know about we getting some converters here for products in US. But in US will we get an adaptor like wise.

He already has an SSN. He went to US last year. His stay will be max one to two months I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom