FOSS India Awards: Indian Tech Brilliance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Indians are known for brilliance and innovation. The recent projects submitted to FOSS India Awards further validate this statement. These open source projects range from solutions for mobile devices to military global positioning systems to something as entertaining as birthday manager or linguistic solutions.

Security is of paramount importance to application due to the ultra-sensitive nature of the information. Some of the submitted exciting projects include Military Global Positioning System, a module of the military Intranet, designed to enable military personnel with appropriate authority and clearance to access high-resolution images (satellite images, maps, hybrids etc.) and know their current position (in terms of latitudes and longitudes) on the images by using a handheld remote GPS device.

Started by Simputer and headed by Dr Ramesh Hariharan, IISC Bangalore, Dhvani Indian Language Text to speech system is a framework to develop Indian Language Text to speech systems. Dhvani can speak Hindi, Kannda and Malayalam now. The framework can detect the languages automatically and sound database is specially designed to cover Indian Languages. Module-based language processing allows easy development of new language support.

More than 37 projects have already been submitted. According to FOSII (the organiser of the event), "Our mission is to recognise the efforts made by the developers in the open source domain. This recognition will further encourage the next generation of developers to build projects which could enhance the quality of life. It is evident that we heavily depend on machines and technologies these days, so better the technologies better the quality of life."

The awards is not just a recognition, according to the organisers, "there's more to it than just cash prize." The winners will get exclusive coverage in LINUX For You magazine and openITis.com (aka linuxforu.com) which in turn could mean: (a) more media coverage for the project and its developers, (b) publicity amongst targeted customers and (c) more contributors getting attracted to the project.

Launched with an initial kitty of Rs 5 lakhs, the FOSS India Awards aims to recognise India's top 20 FOSS projects. The LINUX For You team is working with FOSII (Forum for Open Source Initiatives in India) on this venture.

In addition, a spokesperson from FOSII said, "Mobile is a domain where disruptive innovation is possible, we are expecting more and more open source applications on this platform. The registration for the awards is still open, so we would be expecting more developments and submissions in the coming days."

The registration for FOSS India Awards is FREE! All one need to do to register is to visit *www.openitis.com/awards/ and fill in the form. Registration for the FOSS India Awards is open till 15 December 2007. The awards will be announced during Open Source India Week (aka LinuxAsia 2008) during the second week of February 2008.

The approved projects include:[SIZE=+0]

1 Open Source Military Global Positioning System
2 TCENet
3 OPENMaRUN.org
4 Shikshaarthi
5 TextMine
6 WANem
7 Mustru
8 GetEz
9 Anjuta
10 OpenLX Linux
11 Web9
12 anCMS
13 Dhvani Indian Language Text to speech system
14 Beacon
15 Swanalekha Phonetic Input Method
16 Aspell Malayalam Spellcheck Dictionary
17 Fedora Project
18 Opyum
19 Ubuntu Server Guide
20 Subversion
21 Physicist: Goeppert
22 Subversion
23 MacBird-Grey
24 Birthday Manager
25 ZIM-Pro
26 Saukhya
27 Mac4Lin
28 CosmoPBX Live CD
29 Medistore
30 LabRep
31 SunRO
32 Linux interface for SBIG STV autoguider
33 KDE 3.5 Hindi
34 Autologoff
35 HarvestMan
36 Lingua-franca[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Source

[/SIZE]

Last edited:

vish786

"The Gentleman"
congrats anirudh... hard work got noticed. *smileyonline.free.fr/images/gif/bravo/vignette/thumbnails/1036535672_gif.gifcheers.

now you really owe us a party dude... not virtual one. :p

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
holy mother of God ... too good man anirudh .... too good gr8 im goona be in chandigarh from 22nd dec ... i want a party dude congrats man

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well i dont think those icons should coz as any problems as anirudh or the mac4lin project are not selling it or something they are themes at the most like MS had done with kol's vista theme they might ask anirudh to pull it off which is when he can remove the icons and tell them to dwnld them from anywhere .... macupdate; interface lift all these sites have most of these icons

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^its better to modify the icons a lil bit to avoid any dispute I mean why take chances?
And beside this is exactly what they have been doing(modifying a lil bit and using).

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Thanks for taking notice guys :) The awards are not out yet. That is only a list of the approved projects.

I'm not hoping for much. This is coz I've been criticized by hardcore OSS users, received quite a few hate mailz. But then these haf been outnumbered by a huge margin by praise mails :) I'm happy about that, tho mostly they are from the end users.

Lets see, what the final list is like :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hate mails why .... people hate OS X so much that they dont want to emulate also :lol:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Yes, they are against it as they don't like Apple philosophy of not contributing back to OSS.

But imho we should take whatever's good while try to improve whatever's not. I don't fully agree with them. Yes, Apple maybe wrong in not giving back to OSS but then lets also look into whats good.

BTW guys if you haf any comments regarding Mac4Lin kindly post them here:
*www.openitis.com/openitis/project_view.php?id=89
(Jus follow the link which reads: Click here to discuss or voice your opinion)

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Yes whatever apple may be doing but in terms of looks it has no match. I am fan their os eye candy although never got a chance to work on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom