folders converted into files (16k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bydemandchd

Right off the assembly line
some of the folders in one of the drives got converted into files of size 16kb with no extention. if the folder name was nokia which had some content in it, mainly multimedia, got converted into a file with the same name that is nokia, with no file extention....... please help.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
Your File Allocation Table is screwed up.
As already suggested ... run "chkdsk D: /f" (for D: drive or whatever is the drive)
Most probably your files would be lost !

-----
alibi

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
happened to me, everything on my disk was 1 kb. It was virus, so had to reformat. Recovery did help to some extent after reinstalling.

OP
B

bydemandchd

Solution...

I hsd tried the chkdsk already on my HDD but that did not help. the files on the HDD were really important so i could not have deleted them. i used a recovery software and surprise surprise i recovered almost all the files. its just that one the folders that was hidden, i couldn't get its contents back. thats it, but i'm still unclear if it was a virus or a corupted file system. because it was only in that particular folder in the drive and i still hav every thng in that partition intact.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
try pc inspector file recovery , if the fat table is screwed then that software can help recover the files

sirec

hey bydemandchd

could you tell me what program you used to recover the files?
i have the same erroe on my 1TB external HDD

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
It happened onto my external HDD, 500 GB, I was also worried about it, but it was only because the USB cable was unpluggeed(i.e. the power supply was poor).

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
The same wierd thing happens to my USB Mass Storatge device regularly. But with a .exe extension to it. If i tell you in detail...

Suppose I am having a folder named "DIGIT" and have some files inside that folder. If I open that folder ther will the a sub folder in it with the same name("DIGIT") even though i never created it.when i double click it, I will get "MyDocuments" in new window. First i'm confused. Then i went to folder options and tweaked to show the file extensions. Then i happen to see that the name of the duplicate folder is "DIGIT.EXE". when i scan it with antivirus... boom.... it's a trojan virus.

If I double click it without knowing it... when i restart my computer... all the folders in my pc would have a that thing. Which is very annoying. Things go pretty wierd then.. one by one your hide folders can't be visible, you cannot enable task manager,etc.

Scan your files with a good updated antivirus. NAV 2009 should be a good option.

sujeet2555

In the zone
my friend ,
have you recently copied any file from pen-drive or SD card? this is a virus named brontok that looks like a folder but is an executable file.you can yourself check it by "arrange icons by type".this file will goes into exe category.it makes an executable with same name as in the folder it resides.search for brontok removal tool and cleans it.or run a good anti virus.you can read about this virus and can remove by yourself.adn don't copy any unknown file from pendrives or cards without a virus check.

sujeet2555

In the zone
my friend ,
have you recently copied any file from pen-drive or SD card? this is a virus named brontok that looks like a folder but is an executable file.you can yourself check it by "arrange icons by type".this file will goes into exe category.it makes an executable with same name as in the folder it resides.search for brontok removal tool and cleans it.or run a good anti virus.you can read about this virus and can remove by yourself.adn don't copy any unknown file from pendrives or cards without a virus check.

sujeet2555

In the zone
if you sure ,then i keep my suggestion to myself.as i had the same and wanted to help .no anti virus detected the virus ,so i have to remove manually.

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
BTW, some virus are not detected by AntiVirus, but free-commander and other explorers' do find them easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom