Fix MBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
I messed up with my mbr i suppose.
initially i had 2 os both xp. then i had installed Mandrake few months ago after that. then i just removed mandrake by deleting tht partition(on which mandrake was installed) thru xp. but tht new boot menu still remained.
today i had formated tht free space. it did show some logical disk warning but i ignored it.
then the next time turn on, the new boot menu was no more their.
i can boot through my XP Home cd and get into the recovery console. theres fixmbr and fixboot option..i cant figure wht should i choose?
please help.

ps:i m posting through mobile..so plz neglect any typo errors.

OP
blueshift

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
I cant login to any of the Windows. i dont get tht boot list at all..just some garbage values.

or u telling under Recovery console?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
try the recovery console if u cant go into windows ... u can only edit boot.ini after ur into windows until unless some dos guy tells u the dos path to it

Pathik

Google Bot
goto the recovery console nd type fixboot and fixmbr.. That shd reinstall the xp default boot loader in d mbr.. And u shd b able to boot into xp.. @mav repairing boot.ini wont work wen non ms oses r installed on xp

abhijangda

Padawan
Hey friend choose fixmbr option. Once a day I install Mandrake and then I formatted the partition on which it was installed. I go to recovery console choos fixmbr and voila! it was done.

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
Vishal Gupta said:
If u r not getting the XP loader too, then try following sequence of commands:

fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

It will work as i also used this command when i was using 98 adn XP as dual boot and by mistake changed my bo0t to C:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom