Fix laptop overheating problems with a little DIY spirit!

My laptop is overheating, 80 C on just normal browsing
Should I apply thermal paste (DIY) ??
Any sugesstions for thermal paste

TheSloth

The Slowest One
When did you clean your system last time? IF its long time back then the overheating might be cause of dust accumulation. Similar case for thermal paste, if you haven't applied within 1 yrs then better do it. I bought IC Diamond recently from amazon and I notice a small 3C difference. But Atleast i know it works, i am satisfied.

But even after doin all this your system is overheating then something is wrong, for that, let other members comment as I don't have much knowledge on this.

Yeah I its a long time that I have cleaned my laptop. Also haven't applier thermal paste since I bought it.
What do you think of this thermal paste ? Is this one good ? Any other suggesstions ?
Amazon.in: Buy Cooler Master V1 IC VALUE THERMAL COMPOUND Online at Low Prices in India | Cooler Master Reviews & Rating

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Yeah I its a long time that I have cleaned my laptop. Also haven't applier thermal paste since I bought it.
What do you think of this thermal paste ? Is this one good ? Any other suggesstions ?
Amazon.in: Buy Cooler Master V1 IC VALUE THERMAL COMPOUND Online at Low Prices in India | Cooler Master Reviews & Rating

Go with the following Thermal Paste:

Noctua NT-H1 -425.

Link:Buy Online | Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound | in Indi

Go with the following Thermal Paste:

Noctua NT-H1 -425.

Link:Buy Online | Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound | in Indi
Ok but should I buy from amazon ? Or should I go with primeabg ? I don't want fake product.
The review about seller is negative. It mentions
"Please be aware that IT-MART doesn't sell this with the original packaging. I'm pretty skeptical if this product is even genuine. Comes in a cheap plastic cover in golden glitter background with just the thermal stick."

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
Hi, I have HP DV6-6165tx and I have used Noctua NT-H1 twice in the span of 5 years. I have never noticed any temperature difference after applying the paste. Temperature goes over 90c and the bottom side of the laptop is so much heated after prolong use that it becomes hard to keep it on lap. I had cleaned the laptop around 6-7 months ago but now even running MS OFFICE makes the laptop so hot. Should I re-apply the expired Noctua or should I purchase a new paste like THIS. Sometimes I also feel like something is burning but I doubt that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hi, I have HP DV6-6165tx and I have used Noctua NT-H1 twice in the span of 5 years. I have never noticed any temperature difference after applying the paste. Temperature goes over 90c and the bottom side of the laptop is so much heated after prolong use that it becomes hard to keep it on lap. I had cleaned the laptop around 6-7 months ago but now even running MS OFFICE makes the laptop so hot. Should I re-apply the expired Noctua or should I purchase a new paste like THIS. Sometimes I also feel like something is burning but I doubt that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Did you fix your laptop heating?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Guys, where do you buy thermal paste from?
Was looking into MASTERGEL MAKER NANO GREY COOLER MASTER but it seems to be OOS.
Don't want to get Kryonaut (or those with <11 W/m.k thermal conductivity) because of uneven mounting pressure and laptop easily reaches 85 °C on full load.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, where do you buy thermal paste from?
Was looking into MASTERGEL MAKER NANO GREY COOLER MASTER but it seems to be OOS.
Don't want to get Kryonaut (or those with <11 W/m.k thermal conductivity) because of uneven mounting pressure and laptop easily reaches 85 °C on full load.
Newer version is available on primeabgb(check product code):
Buy Online Cooler Master MasterGel Maker CPU Cooling Thermal Paste MGZ-NDSG-N15M-R2 - in India

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Newer version is available on primeabgb(check product code):
Buy Online Cooler Master MasterGel Maker CPU Cooling Thermal Paste MGZ-NDSG-N15M-R2 - in India
560 for "newer" version MASTERGEL MAKER NANO GREY COOLER MASTER
Only difference between this and older version is the flat nozzle. Everything else is same. I don't want to pay 200 extra just for that nozzle.
Any suggestions for thermal pads for VRMs? Or should I just use the stock ones (laptop is barely 6 months old)

Edit:
Are there any vendors selling Kingpin KPx or Phobya NanoGrease Extreme?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forget about anything outside of major brands for thermal paste in India as they cost a lot more because of import duties & non-official status here.You can try asking primeabgb & vedant for older version but other than that your only option is to pay the extra 200 for this brand.

I only see people using thermal pads for VRMs on ryzen mobos doing above average overclocking,is it really required for your laptop.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Forget about anything outside of major brands for thermal paste in India as they cost a lot more because of import duties & non-official status here.You can try asking primeabgb & vedant for older version but other than that your only option is to pay the extra 200 for this brand.

I only see people using thermal pads for VRMs on ryzen mobos doing above average overclocking,is it really required for your laptop.
I'll call them today. Vedant is charging >120 for shipping ( while speedpost is ~40 and I have a post office within walking distance) :facepalm:
I thought if I can maximize the cooling of internal components, it'll be good in the longer run.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Yeah same here, jackly stuff is cheap but not durable.
I believe this is an ifixit clone but not sure if it will reach india
*www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001764...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Yeah same here, jackly stuff is cheap but not durable.
I believe this is an ifixit clone but not sure if it will reach india
*www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001764...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
$50 as delivery charge :rofl:
If I had that extra budget, I'd directly get ifixit toolkit. :lol:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
While playing game on the old Samsung NP550P5C laptop, the temps went to 92C after which it started throttling.
I installed Throttlestop to undervolt it but I am not seeing any option FIVR. Can I use just Clock Mod option on the main window to reduce the performance from 100% to some 90% ? Will that help in controlling the temps without losing too much on performance?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
While playing game on the old Samsung NP550P5C laptop, the temps went to 92C after which it started throttling.
I installed Throttlestop to undervolt it but I am not seeing any option FIVR. Can I use just Clock Mod option on the main window to reduce the performance from 100% to some 90% ? Will that help in controlling the temps without losing too much on performance?
That is old laptop so not sure pushing it too far would be a good idea.
@SaiyanGoku @omega44-xt

Watch guides by Bob of all trades, just in case.

Anyways, raise the back of the laptop to improve airflow from bottom vents. Try undervolting GPU using MSI afterburner. If you can, just repaste the CPU & GPU. Likely this is the issue causing overheating.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Watch guides by Bob of all trades, just in case.

Anyways, raise the back of the laptop to improve airflow from bottom vents. Try undervolting GPU using MSI afterburner. If you can, just repaste the CPU & GPU. Likely this is the issue causing overheating.
GPU temps are always fine. I think re pasted the CPU and GPU last year with IC Diamond. I just thought undervolting will bring the temps down that is why I want to try this instead of opening the laptop again. According to the throttle stop guide I am unable to find the FIVR option.

--Update :
I think its not possible. Found similar thread where people are telling this FIVR option was only available after 4th gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom