Fix laptop overheating problems with a little DIY spirit!

reddead

LoSt!
how much does the service center charge for cleaning up laptop?
i tried opening up mine but couldn't get 2 screws out, they are way too tight.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
HP charges 1400 just for opening the laptop.

- - - Updated - - -

How much it will cost to buy the paste?

Local paste costs anywhere between 10-50 bucks. I got 2 packets free from a shop for buying Anti-virus lol.

You can go for good quality ones like Arctic Silver but that's gonna cost you.

Local paste costs anywhere between 10-50 bucks. I got 2 packets free from a shop for buying Anti-virus lol.

You can go for good quality ones like Arctic Silver but that's gonna cost you.
And what about heatsink? Cleaning it with spirit won't damage it?

dayum ...cant push out the keyboard. The entire Keyboard is flexing like crazy as if it has been pasted with FeviQuick. The instruction video is good but when the hardest part comes, all he shows is PICTURES.
Im really scared ill destroy the keyboard...Pushing it like crazy, not coming out.
And there are no guides on the internet, all are for different models.

- - - Updated - - -

OK FINISHED.
had problem with keyboard and Front Cover, i think they are glued with some adhesive during factory assembly. Anyways, next time it will be easier to open. There was a small crack in the left side of the keyboard frame.They keyboard was pasted with some SuperGlue i think.... My fingers are all sore...Specially my thumbs, all red and sore >_<
Now my laptop is super silent!
For people with Warranty.... just do it yourself.Since you are gonna be doing it later in 8-12 months anyways. And why waste money and time running to and fro the Service Center.

luckyidnani

Broken In
hey i got my laptop serviced last week and now i checked my temperature this was taken 10 minutes after startup is this normal or something to worry about Capture.JPG

OP
B

bhupati

Broken In
...The instruction video is good but when the hardest part comes, all he shows is PICTURES. Im really scared ill destroy the keyboard...Pushing it like crazy, not coming out.

I was shooting with one hand so wasn't easy showing the tricky parts...low production value :p
As mentioned in the video subs, first time around everything will feel stiff (esp. the glued parts) but it gets better after that.

xSF

Assembly Line is stuck.
hey i got my laptop serviced last week and now i checked my temperature this was taken 10 minutes after startup is this normal or something to worry aboutView attachment 14135

Those are perfectly normal temps, You won't have to worry till they reach 90s.

- - - Updated - - -

depends what component, and yes 98 is high for any component.

The 4th gen i7 m has a safe temp of 108 degrees, if my memory is correct.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Those are perfectly normal temps, You won't have to worry till they reach 90s.

- - - Updated - - -

The 4th gen i7 m has a safe temp of 108 degrees, if my memory is correct.

That's junction temp. It's the temp at which laptop shuts down to prevent damage.

abhishekmaha

Broken In
What should I use to remove the dried paste from the heat sink? Surgical Spirit to clean skin before injections? Or will spraying deodorant work out?

I managed to get Arctic Silver 5, but no idea how to use it yet. Fortunately, I have the same model laptop as in the video, so I don't think I will face too much trouble in opening it up...

Problem faced: I think a fan stopped working or something, I just hear whirring and there's extreme heating under normal load, the laptop just "thermal shutdown"s... It happens so often that I've gotten used to it. Which is probably a bad thing :p. Need to solve the problem asap, so please help me out with the final piece of information I need. How do I scrape out the existing dried paste before I apply the new one?

Last edited:

driverace

Broken In
Problem faced: I think a fan stopped working or something, I just hear whirring and there's extreme heating under normal load, the laptop just "thermal shutdown"s... It happens so often that I've gotten used to it. Which is probably a bad thing :p. Need to solve the problem asap, so please help me out with the final piece of information I need. How do I scrape out the existing dried paste before I apply the new one?
So- what did you use to scrape it off?
The Arcticlean kit seems to cost 1K+ on ebay..
Spirit / Acetone (nail polish remover) / Deo are good things to spray to remove the dried up paste?

Thanks,

Ace.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
So- what did you use to scrape it off?
The Arcticlean kit seems to cost 1K+ on ebay..
Spirit / Acetone (nail polish remover) / Deo are good things to spray to remove the dried up paste?

Thanks,

Ace.

The best is 70% w/w isopropyl alcohol sold for 70Rs in local Pharmacies. 90% w/w isopropyl alcohol is better but rarer to find. 70% is good for everything except IC Diamond thermal paste.

driverace

Broken In
The best is 70% w/w isopropyl alcohol sold for 70Rs in local Pharmacies. 90% w/w isopropyl alcohol is better but rarer to find. 70% is good for everything except IC Diamond thermal paste.
Awesome.
Thanks a lot for quick reply!
And you have already helped me by posting in the laptop queries thread:
This looks good.

but, what would you choose between:
Deepcool Z5 Tharmal Paste @ 400 INR
OR
Noctua NT-H1 @ 620 INR
OR
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G @ 550 INR

Considering this is for N5110 which is doing bl00dy 60 at casual work & 90~autoshutdown @ gaming.

I don't intend to open the laptop again - for as long as possible! :p

Ace.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
but, what would you choose between:
Deepcool Z5 Tharmal Paste @ 400 INR
OR
Noctua NT-H1 @ 620 INR
OR
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G @ 550 INR

Considering this is for N5110 which is doing bl00dy 60 at casual work & 90~autoshutdown @ gaming.

I don't intend to open the laptop again - for as long as possible! :p

Ace.

For laptops, I would choose nothing but IC Diamond. That stuff is the best in the world.
I tried Arctic Silver V but that is very bad for laptops.

driverace

Broken In
For laptops, I would choose nothing but IC Diamond. That stuff is the best in the world.
I tried Arctic Silver V but that is very bad for laptops.
Would you like to share a link (to order in india) online? - couldn't find it on fk/sd/amazon/regulars.

also - remember reading on overclocking forum - that this particular paste was tested & found abrasive n stuff? any feedback on that?

thanks again,

Ace.

Top Bottom