First Look at Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Not a great improvement over 8.04.. seems to me.. well.. OpenSUSE is still my favourite.. flirting with Mandriva these days.. never got that BSNL broadband working for more than 10 mins on OpenSUSE.. works fine on Mandriva and Ubuntu.. I like that enabling prop. driver feature.. seems neat...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I need to get to photoshop to show U guys what I mean...the current Dev/sda1 method is good.. .just the representation isn't

GNome seriously needs a UI re-design. What's the point of just performance if the User Experience is this ugly when Mac & Windows give better UX.

Linux devs should understand... performance alone won't help if the experience is bad

for example, those toolbar buttor with beveled background is what MS was using in Win 2000 (example)
You seriously need to take a look at some of the REAL good looking stuff available for gnome. Check out the aurora engine and pixmaps engine once. This is not about linux devs, since they don't design the themes. That is left to the themers, while the menus and buttons are dependant on the toolkit used, and I think GTK2+ sucks, but its still looking good enough. The problem with ubuntu is that they use a horrible theme, which has something to do with some wierd african philosophy which nelson mandela endorses and I don't give a damn about. BUT, it wouldn't take more than a few minutes to make gnome look awesome.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I need to get to photoshop to show U guys what I mean...the current Dev/sda1 method is good.. .just the representation isn't
What has photoshop got to do with linking the device to a label??!!

You seriously need to take a look at some of the REAL good looking stuff available for gnome. Check out the aurora engine and pixmaps engine once. This is not about linux devs, since they don't design the themes. That is left to the themers, while the menus and buttons are dependant on the toolkit used, and I think GTK2+ sucks, but its still looking good enough. The problem with ubuntu is that they use a horrible theme, which has something to do with some wierd african philosophy which nelson mandela endorses and I don't give a damn about. BUT, it wouldn't take more than a few minutes to make gnome look awesome.
Frankly, GTK2+ sux big time. Its got some scaling issues. Qt is much better, but harder.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
is it that hard to understand? I needed Photoshop for copy that image, edit it, & repost it here

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ I still don't get it. The issue being discussed here is to rename /dev/sda1 to something like Root or Home. If I understand correctly thats what is being said. What has photoshop gotta do with that? Or am I too dumb and missing something?

Anyways, the most useful thing I found (to the end user, of corz) is the tabbed Nautilus. Obviously, if the update is pushed via repos even the prev. version users will be able to get it. Other good things: private folder encryption, new samba and the much awaited network manager.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Split is more useful in a file manager. Dolphin provides that! But tabbed browsing is welcome, saves the task-bar space. :)

I wonder if they can fit in an integrated terminal window somehow..

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
No reason to upgrade!
I ain't getting any networking issues anyway :p
The only thing isn't working in my Ubuntu is my Dell 1530's WebCam. No biggie... I might install Kubuntu though, just for KDE4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom