first installation of linux which one should i opt

Status
Not open for further replies.

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
had problem with ubuntu installation ....
1. ubuntu runs live cd/dvd first then installs some problem with graphics and lot of time
ubuntu is like windows
2. so i have installed fedora ..... easy install with large package .... red hat stuff ......
ps both ubuntu and fedora from digit dvd

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
don't bother downloading that unless you run into serious problems which i don't think will happen. xubuntu will run jus fine on ur system. if some distro doesn't work on ur system, u haf 2 options:

1) troubleshoot the problem and make sure that it never occurs again.

2) try out other distros which work out of the box

ps: i'd got wid option 1 anyday! :)

pushkaraj

In the zone
Hey guys, i am thinking of installin ubuntu 64bit on my athlon 3200+ 2.0GHz

Is it ideal as this is the first time i will be installing linux. I have a friend who will be helping me out with this. My primary requirement is connecting to the internet via airtel gprs as that is the only connection i am having.

Any suggestions?

faraaz

Evil Genius
@pushkaraj: Don't...if you are getting vanilla 64 bit Ubuntu, you will have to download almost 300 MB of stuff in updates, build-essential packages, third party applications (like Amarok for instance...I always get this) and third party closed-sources multimedia codecs...

If you are on a GPRS connection, take my advice...either get Linux Mint (which includes all the stuff you would otherwise have to download on that painfully slow and unreliable GPRS connection) or get some other out of the box distro like Sabayon which includes proprietary drivers, codecs, loads of applications etc etc...in fact, just get Sabayon...the new 3.4 edition is out and it lets you choose which packages to install...you can customise which packages you want, you can have Gnome running (like Ubuntu) and you don't have to mess about with updates and things like that for a bit...

PS: Get the 3.4e edition...its more recent and incorporates updates.

Here's a link:
*mirror.internode.on.net/pub/sabayonlinux/SabayonLinux-x86_64-3.4e.iso

pushkaraj

In the zone
@infra_red_dude, thanx for your go-ahead-signal.

@faraaz, thanx for your suggestion bro. Actually i had told one of my friends(who is on an unlimited internet connection), to download the ubuntu distro as someone had suggested me before i posted in this topic. Anyways as my friend is going to help me with the installation, i would give ubuntu a try. And if things really don't work out as expected(especially the airtel gprs thing), then there is always this link that you have provided. Faraaz ,mate, don't misunderstand me. I really appreciate your effort of guiding me and posting the download link.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
infra_red_dude said:
don't bother downloading that unless you run into serious problems which i don't think will happen. xubuntu will run jus fine on ur system. if some distro doesn't work on ur system, u haf 2 options:

1) troubleshoot the problem and make sure that it never occurs again.

2) try out other distros which work out of the box

ps: i'd got wid option 1 anyday! :)

@aks_win...
same here... what infra said..... i too would opt for 1st options.....

if ur installing ubuntu then go for ubuntu 32 bit... coz since ur newbie u will have prob for installing softwares..... ubuntu 32 bit and 64 bit work with same speed if ram is low.

if ur goin for Linux Mint... 32 bit and 64 bit is not an issue then.

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Dunno why but the only live distro that can detect my TV Tuner(Pinnacle) + Sound Card (Realtec AC'97) + Partitions (FAT32) (Yes even partition) is Dyne;bolic.
So I suggest that...to anyone who want a multimedia capable live linux.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
infra_red_dude said:
but FC7 or even FC6 will be a killer for this hardware. ubuntu and fc are good distros. u can't haf fc so the next best option is ubuntu. but even thats heavy. so xubuntu is the best distro for him :) he won't haf any problem, i'm sure. atleast basic things like c compiler come installed.... so no hunting required :)
Why not F7 + xfce?
If I remember right, fedora DVD does come with xfce.
So, ones with lower RAM can always install xfce without having to go online.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
infra_red_dude said:
i'm not sure abt it mehul, so didn't suggest that. also personally i feel fedora is bloated.
It's mostly the unnecessary services usually. And somewhat the extra processes that KDE/GNOME run. You don't usually find them under XFCE.
So, F7 + XFCE - all unneeded services = no bloat

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
mehulved said:
It's mostly the unnecessary services usually. And somewhat the extra processes that KDE/GNOME run. You don't usually find them under XFCE.
So, F7 + XFCE - all unneeded services = no bloat
True, also you can go the sevices menu & disable those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom