First Hands on nokia N97 | India

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
Retails over 1k£ in the uk. Besides i just hate touch screen phones now. Prefer simple candybar phones. I have used many phones, swivel slide flap and what not. But trust me nothing beats candybar design. I ditched all non candy phones because their slide or flap just gets loose. And touch screen is a big no no. Just my opinion am not against nokia but against nokia made touch screen phones because they're just going flop

ziha786

Journeyman
With the highly complicated slide out tilt design, many eyebrows were raised , whether Nokia would be able to do it right? Many said No, but again with the hardware reviews you must have read regarding Nokia N97, all rumors are proved totally wrong. The slide out design is rock solid and believe me, its just so convenient for using a phone. The more you use it, the more you get used to it and can not prevent yourself from praising it. Why not refresh yourself with Making of Nokia N97 video.

[youtube]kbdmVUShSUw[/youtube]

Its much better to have one proper viewing angle, rather than having many improper ones.The phone is just so comfortable to use, with your daily work, that it just become a part of your daily routine. And, having said that, while I am writing this review, two music albums are getting downloaded on my Nokia N97, and I can see the progress with just one touch. I don’t have to lift the phone, to see what’s happening. This is what a convenient viewing angle can do in your mobile phone experience.

Retails over 1k£ in the uk. Besides i just hate touch screen phones now. Prefer simple candybar phones. I have used many phones, swivel slide flap and what not. But trust me nothing beats candybar design. I ditched all non candy phones because their slide or flap just gets loose. And touch screen is a big no no. Just my opinion am not against nokia but against nokia made touch screen phones because they're just going flop

OP
the.kaushik

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
With the highly complicated slide out tilt design, many eyebrows were raised , whether Nokia would be able to do it right? Many said No, but again with the hardware reviews you must have read regarding Nokia N97, all rumors are proved totally wrong. The slide out design is rock solid and believe me, its just so convenient for using a phone. The more you use it, the more you get used to it and can not prevent yourself from praising it. Why not refresh yourself with Making of Nokia N97 video.

[youtube]kbdmVUShSUw[/youtube]

Its much better to have one proper viewing angle, rather than having many improper ones.The phone is just so comfortable to use, with your daily work, that it just become a part of your daily routine. And, having said that, while I am writing this review, two music albums are getting downloaded on my Nokia N97, and I can see the progress with just one touch. I don’t have to lift the phone, to see what’s happening. This is what a convenient viewing angle can do in your mobile phone experience.

Nice video and no doubt the slider mechanism is impressing..
offtopic:
Are you from Nokia or you copied this from some where?

ziha786

Journeyman
@the.kaushik
key kaushik, it was just a you tube embed :)
i was trying out the accuweather widget, didn't think initially it will interest me much.. but i changed my mind.. here are some interesting features

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1017/290648fac43e4f8da3533af7e76570ba.jpg
Days View
*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1017/cb31a7846e984ccea389bb998257e55b.jpg
Hours View
*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1017/8b78a77f2f3645a7897967dab4ad722e.jpg
Night View
*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1017/d150073ea7c34317850d459fac383678.jpg
Map View
*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1017/4c1b604b2b3a4d54be2f37365e9db181.jpg
Graph View
*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1017/abfd11bb788d41a49c14b95b82594ac2.jpg
Calender View

N97 its nice to show weather updated
9 days weather updates and nice hourly weather update, also you can see map view, graph view, and calender view....

talwar

Broken In
when i was purchasing this phone salesman say's sir it has lots of widgets that's make your life easy and simpler, But what is widgets and how they work he also don't know. so i am so confused about widgets on N97, Then i go to nokia India website and see meet the widget section..... how i can understand what is widget and how a widget works.
Meet The Widgets

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Unless you have an unlimited connection, dont use the widgets. Many users have reported enormous internet bills owing to continuous use of widgets.

OP
the.kaushik

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
when i was purchasing this phone salesman say's sir it has lots of widgets that's make your life easy and simpler, But what is widgets and how they work he also don't know. so i am so confused about widgets on N97, Then i go to nokia India website and see meet the widget section..... how i can understand what is widget and how a widget works.
Meet The Widgets

Dude if you are asking what is widget then to keep the story short... Widget is application (Like mobile software) which requires an internet connection to run. If you see the n97 screen you will see lot of rectange applications for weathers and facebook and news etc.. Each of these are widget and requires a internet connection to work.. If you want to understand better i would suggest you to go tohttp://www.google.com/ig and add some widget to the site(Search for add stuff button). You will understand the concept
Cheers!

kwimp

Broken In
I have personalise ringtones with photos, but my phone does not id the caller at all and sometimes uses the nokia default ringtone. I tried all the settings to correct this, maybe somebody can help me out.

sdmaverick

Journeyman
@kwimp

hi dude...a common problem that ure facing m8 :)

As far as the caller id is concerned, it will TOTALLY depend upon ure network service provider...it is on their discretion that the service would work...

still u can check up ure called id settings by going to settings-->calling-->call-->Send my Caller ID-->choose set by network

Also, the reason why the fone sometimes uses the default tone is because probably u set the ringtone for a single profile like the General profile, so when u keep fone on silent or offline mode, the personalization also changes...

cheers!

sdmaverick

Journeyman
Guys, I would like to share some tips and tricks which might come in handy...probably u mite already noe em:

1. Make sure ure fone is running on GSM Mode and not DUAL mode...u can see this fact by going to settings-->connectivity-->network mode-->choose GSM
This will drastically increase ure battery life :p

2. If u want a faster fone response, make sure ure log duration is set to 1 day...by default it would be 30 days...u can change the log settings by going to applications-->log-->options-->settings-->log duration-->1 day
The calls for a single day will ONLY BE stored and will get wiped the next day :p

3. Also to ensure that the wifi is not sucking away the battery, make sure that it stays disconnected when u dont need it....u can check it by going to settings-->connectivity-->Wireless Lan-->disconnect lan
Usually widgets are the main culprits for unneeded connectivity.

4. Make sure packet data is set to whenever needed and NOT whenever available, u will find the same in connectivity options.

5. Also, in order to preserve ure fone memory, make sure ure msgs are being stored in the mass memory... U can do this by going to msgs-->options-->settings-->other-->memory in use-->mass memory

6. Keeping ure backlight to minimum when ure in need of battery is a GOOD IDEA coz more the contrast, more the battery consumption

7. Keep ure bluetooth switched off when u dont need it. It also consumes battery life.

8. Another thing that many people do not know is that the Web Browser always stores ure cookies, i.e the visited page history...MAKE SURE after u r done with web browsing, go to options-->clear privacy data-->select All

9. The most important fact now: Ure fone is a multitasking device, which means u can run many apps at a time BUT IT is imperitive to close the apps once ure done with them. If u just press the MENU key or the Red key, the app does not exit but merely goes to the background...make sure u exit the app by LONG PRESSING the menu key and then pressing <-- on ure qwerty.

Keep ure N97 snazzy, ull keep enjoying it

Cheers!

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Those who are even slightly thinking of going for this one or who already have this one, please read my post at *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118164 and tell me if any of you are facing those problems. This phone can't even do calling (which is the most basic capability of any phone) properly. Then only we need to talk of other things.

sdmaverick

Journeyman
@deepakchan

hello there :smile: Tried out the calling issue u had with the N97...it was a breeze...there was no problem whatsoever...if u want i can post screenshots of the whole process for everyone's sake :lol:

Cheers!

sdmaverick

Journeyman
HERE"S SOME VISUAL PROOF BUDDY :grin::))

For DEEPAKCHAN

Here u go buddy...screen shots as to how easy it was to divert my calls to another number, take a look and learn :shock:

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1068/cc4bdb0ff3134679ac3909dc6f5286b9.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1068/011be5df04c3486c9ebaffbcddce5bc4.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1068/676fda4052ae4585b0ed5477f7896b52.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1068/0cd8b9b59ae2448ab688255516b2f2c9.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1068/66fdc6c5493a486daa41617ac9b98d84.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1068/ec45b2487116424f99628a098bfb8226.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1068/34b568a4984c40b59c00285cfac3b199.jpg

After the request was accepted it said CALL DIVERTING ACTIVATED...

Deepak, trust me its a breeze, please update your firmware after doing a hard reset of ure N97...it will work like a charm...;-)

Cheers!

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
@sdmaverick

Did you try the incoming call issue. Have your keys and screen locked. Receive an incoming call. Slide to Answer. Call over. What happens? How much is the call summary? Didn't you have to manually drag to unlock so that it could show you the call summary (which is of no use since it shows only few seconds however long you talk) and allow it to lock itself again automatically?
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
@sdmaverick

Did you try the incoming call issue. Have your keys and screen locked. Receive an incoming call. Slide to Answer. Call over. What happens? How much is the call summary? Didn't you have to manually drag to unlock so that it could show you the call summary (which is of no use since it shows only few seconds however long you talk) and allow it to lock itself again automatically?

Last edited:

ziha786

Journeyman
Is there any one using N97 on BSNL/MTNL 3 G please share your experience. I want to use for it MTNL 3G.

Please suggest me !!!

sdmaverick

Journeyman
@deepak

no dude...no such probs that uve mentioned again....if u want i can post some screenshots again for ure sake :razz: better yet probably a video after a week or so...

Cheers!

Top Bottom