Firefox!...users losing patience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrarif50

Journeyman
Hi,,

This article is a must read for those who swear by the security provided by Firefox.

The Mozilla Foundation may have just released its latest update to the popular Firefox browser, but some users say their patience with the software's flaws is beginning to wear thin.

Firefox rose to popularity after its 1.0 release in November 2004 as an alternative to Microsoft Internet Explorer, lacking that browser's most serious security flaws. Now that the novelty has faded, however, some users are highlighting Firefox's shortcomings compared with competitors such as IE, Opera, Apple's Safari and the KDE project's Linux-based Konqueror.

One issue that has been getting attention since the Wednesday release of Firefox 1.5 is a bug that causes Mac OS X systems to use 100 percent of available processor resources in some cases, such as when scrolling in some Web-based applications (such as Google Maps) and holding down the mouse button.

The bug has been known since before the release of Firefox 1.0, but has never been fixed, critics noted. (The Mozilla project has assigned the issue bug no. 141710.) Some users said the bug makes it difficult to use Firefox on laptops, because it causes the fan to run more frequently and uses up battery power. "I am going to have to recommend that any Mac users I know stay away from Firefox until this is fixed. It makes Google Maps virtually unusable, and it chews up battery, and causes lots of heat in laptops," wrote one user on the Bugzilla bug-tracking site. "It is seriously getting time to get this fixed," wrote another.

Others said the bug was not particularly serious, was not noticeable to users on desktop systems and would, in any case, disappear when the browser shifts to a newer programming interface called Cocoa.

Another specific gripe is the lack of Acid2 compliance. Acid2 is a test from the Web Standards Project (WaSP) designed to test a browser's support for W3C standards such as CSS1, HTML4 and PNG. Most browsers - including IE and Opera - admit they won't pass Acid2 for some time; for example Microsoft has said IE 7 won't pass.

The issue has become more urgent recently, however, because Konqueror's latest release - appearing this week with KDE 3.5 - passes Acid2. Apple's Safari, which shares some code with Konqueror, also recently became Acid2 compliant.

Firefox is not expected to pass the test until version 2.0. Others said Firefox 1.5 introduced new glitches. Issues mentioned by users after their first few hours with Firefox 1.5 included the "reload" button disappearing, a bug with selected text, problems with cookie management, keyboard shortcuts being randomly disabled, and a Mac-specific problem with the URL window.

Firefox has had increasingly serious issues with security as its user base has exploded. Among this year's flaws was a highly dangerous one ironically leaving Windows and IE untouched while affecting Firefox and Linux. Another flaw involving IDN parsing required a patch to be rushed out. A report from Symantec revealed that nearly twice as many flaws had been discovered in Firefox as in Explorer over the first six months of this year.

Source:
*www.techslash.com/Technews/firefoxflaw.htm

even though there may be bugs in FF(Hence there are in every software),
but it will take time to fix thme. but doesnot mean that FF is bad or so.

unlike IE bugs which are fixed months after they found, FF bugs are fixed early when compared to others.

regarding security, i cant say even IE reaches the mark...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
all i have to say is that its version number is jus 1.5 now and y are all depending so much on it to perform and that too in the browser war going on with all these experienced Browsers in in :? If its bugging them too much, better switch back !

tuXian

In the zone
the other day I saw an advisory for opera now what do u say?

I once again say that all have vulnerabilities but with increasing usage they are turning into exploits.

First it was IE, then FF and now Opera and if we have another browser gaining ground we will find in them too.

satbir

Broken In
hpotter606 said:
IE cant be called as a competetor!!!
Hey you don't call IE a competitor??? Just check your stats............ FF and IE are going neck to neck............ Its true that FF is gradually taking over but IE is still a strong competitor...............

hpotter606

Journeyman
It is competing because people dont know that other browsers exist. One who knows opera or FF exist and know they are better will not live with IE.
(exception-ferrarif50)

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
hpotter606 said:
It is competing because people dont know that other browsers exist. One who knows opera or FF exist and know they are better will not live with IE.
(exception-ferrarif50)
absolutely true

OP
ferrarif50

ferrarif50

Journeyman
hpotter606 said:
(exception-ferrarif50)

What made u conclude that i use IE?

I use Opera and sometimes Avant.

rajeshgoli

Right off the assembly line
Havent faced any of the problems mentioned yet. I am running firefox 1.5, of course I'm not on mac and hence those bugs are not even relevent for me.

My case is that:
1) Bugs are security issues are found fast.
2) The browser has an integrated upgrade mechanism, so i just have to click on the red arrow mark to fix all the vulnerabilities that have been found and fixed recently.

Most browsers cant claim to have these benefits (konqueror could be an exception, but it wont run on all platforms.. )

The only REAL burining issue with firefox is its memory usage, it is considerable greater than all others.

-Rajesh

hpotter606

Journeyman
ferrarif50 said:
hpotter606 said:
(exception-ferrarif50)

Oh ....
Sorry then, but i thought you are a microsoft fan.
BTW i dont like opera much.

anandk

Distinguished Member
Maxthon, an IE based browser with winxp/sp2, offers comparable security.
just bcoz (say) 10-15% people use firefox, it is less attacked, and people say : 'wow its more safer'.

but the truth is not as it appears.... :roll:

anything is hackable, and will be hacked !

OP
ferrarif50

ferrarif50

Journeyman
hpotter606 said:
ferrarif50 said:
hpotter606 said:
(exception-ferrarif50)

Oh ....
Sorry then, but i thought you are a microsoft fan.
BTW i dont like opera much.

DUH! I am a microsoft fan! u thought it right buddy!

anandk

Distinguished Member
aaj ki taaza khabar ! :evil:

Unpatched Firefox 1.5 exploit made public...

Exploit code for the latest version of open-source browser Firefox was published Wednesday, potentially putting users at risk of a denial-of-service attack.

*news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5987401.html?tag=nl.e589

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom