Firefox Advantage & Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazzy Warrior

"Aal Izz Well"
Hi Guys,

I am a Internet Explorer browser user.
I am changing my browser from Internet Explorer to Firefox. :D

Can anyone just provide me the advantage of Firefox over Internet Explorer ?

Plz also list me some good extensions that will let me use Firefox in a better way ?

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Following threads will help you:

Best Browser - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38653&highlight=
Favorite Extensions - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4754&highlight=

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
FireFox is definitely better than IE.

Most recommended Extensions for Firefox:

*addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/recommended

Still not happy!!! You can browse through the "Categories" like 'Language Support',
'Search Tools', 'Privacy & Security', 'Tabs', 'Themes & Appearance' etc.,

*addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox

NOTE: After installing your favorite Firefox extension, you need to restart Firefox.
Also don't install too many extensions!!! That will slow down the browser.
You keep your extensions less than 10. Also if you find you don't need an extension,
you can disable it or uninstall it. ( For eg., from the menu "Tools"-> "Add-ons"
You can disable or uninstall it.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do get that Adblock Plus extension for Firefox for blocking advertisements.....

*addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

Log_net2

Broken In
Hi Guys,

I am a Internet Explorer browser user.
I am changing my browser from Internet Explorer to Firefox. :D

Can anyone just provide me the advantage of Firefox over Internet Explorer ?

Plz also list me some good extensions that will let me use Firefox in a better way ?

Thanks in Advance

Congrats,You have grown up.With its so many useful extensions Firefox is far better than IE or any other browsers.I am using these adds-on(extensions).

adblockplus:a very good adblocker
downthemall:add-on download accelerator
foxmarks:you'll never lost your bookmarks with this add-on
imagebot:very useful and easy for photo/graphics uploading to sites : imageshack and photobucket
flashgot:associated with download accelerators like FlashGet,IDM etc
NoScript:you enable this whenever you surf a website you are not sure of and see whats running behind while opening the website.
McAfee site advisor: from siteadvisor site not from firefox

other scripts i used are megaupload sx,User Agent Switchers,LeechBlock,BlockSite,Grease monkey etc

See for yourself.You'll love FIREFOX

OP
Krazzy Warrior

Krazzy Warrior

"Aal Izz Well"
Do get that Adblock Plus extension for Firefox for blocking advertisements.....

*addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

can it block the google ads that are shown in each page of this forum.
if yes plz provide me with the steps needed to do the same.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats,You have grown up.

Do you actually know why I laughed??........:rolleyes:

You're a new member here, so probably you don't know why I laughed. :D

Anyways, I don't want to get this thread offtopic......

-----------
can it block the google ads that are shown in each page of this forum.
if yes plz provide me with the steps needed to do the same.
Yeah, it can block.

Moreover, you can also create your custom Ad-blocking rules like I've done for blocking the advertisements of Yahoo India & Cricinfo......

Last edited:
OP
Krazzy Warrior

Krazzy Warrior

"Aal Izz Well"
Do you actually know why I laughed??........:rolleyes:

You're a new member here, so probably you don't know why I laughed. :D

Anyways, I don't want to get this thread offtopic......

-----------

Thanks

Yeah, it can block.

Moreover, you can also create your custom Ad-blocking rules like I've done for blocking the advertisements of Yahoo India & Cricinfo......

Thanks I had successfully done that.

Thanks gagan any more good extension

I am going to write a Review upon Firefox

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks I had successfully done that.
You're welcome.....:)
Thanks gagan any more good extension

There're many.......
Foxytunes: which will let you control any Music player inside Firefox

There is already a good list provided by Log_net2 above.......

Also don't install lots & lots of Add-ons. It will make your Firefox slow. Just install only those which you need.
I am going to write a Review upon Firefox
Thats good, waiting for the review and yes, do share Firefox with your friends.......:)

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
Since you are new to firefox, I'd suggest you these extensions (besides Adblock Plus):

DownThemAll <-- this will give you a good download manager for firefox, with resume capability (If you are using a download manager like Flashget, then you should use the flashgot extension).
Nuke Anything Enhanced: This will allow you to remove any image, text or frame, that might not be blocked by Adblock.
BBCodeXtra: This adds items to the context menu that make your life in a forum really comfortable.
Paste and Go 2: This is useful when you want to copy links and paste it in the addressbar, or copy a word and look up in the search bar, just like in Opera
Greasemonkey: Install this extension and head over to userscripts.org and install scripts for specific sites to make your web experience a lot better. (you will find many userscripts for sites like google, orkut, amazon, etc. For example, there are scripts by which you can change the look and feel of sites like orkut and gmail)
QuickNote: Useful when you want to copy something like an article or a link and you don't want to save it in some file.
Google Browser Sync:
Really handy extension. It saves your session, bookmarks, history and even cookies on google servers and the next time you connect to the net, you will have your previous sessions restored. It almost gives you your own Firefox workspace even when you connect to the net even on other PCs. You just have to give your password. The next time you format your PC, just install GBS again and type in your password, and all your bookmarks will be restored. (BTW, if you just want to save your bookmarks online, without any other stuff, I would say that you use Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer)

Other extensions that I would recommend you to try are:
Tab Catalog: Gives you a preview of all the tabs
Sage: News reader
Foxytunes: Control any media player from the Firefox window
FoxyProxy: (to be used with Tor) Browse through proxies in Firefox, the next time you can't access sites like Megaupload.
PicLens: 3d image browsing on Google Image Search, Flickr, Photobucket, deviantart, etc
NoScript: Disables Java, javascript and other scripts and allows you to run them only on sites you want.

That's all I can say for now. You might want to check out the most popular and recommended addons on addons.mozilla.org for some more

BTW, you might also like to add a few search engines in firefox. Head over to *addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:4/cat:all?sort=name or *mycroft.mozdev.org/install.html

ajaybc

Youngling
Since you are new to firefox, I'd suggest you these extensions (besides Adblock Plus):

DownThemAll <-- this will give you a good download manager for firefox, with resume capability (If you are using a download manager like Flashget, then you should use the flashgot extension).
Nuke Anything Enhanced: This will allow you to remove any image, text or frame, that might not be blocked by Adblock.
BBCodeXtra: This adds items to the context menu that make your life in a forum really comfortable.
Paste and Go 2: This is useful when you want to copy links and paste it in the addressbar, or copy a word and look up in the search bar, just like in Opera
Greasemonkey: Install this extension and head over to userscripts.org and install scripts for specific sites to make your web experience a lot better. (you will find many userscripts for sites like google, orkut, amazon, etc. For example, there are scripts by which you can change the look and feel of sites like orkut and gmail)
QuickNote: Useful when you want to copy something like an article or a link and you don't want to save it in some file.
Google Browser Sync:
Really handy extension. It saves your session, bookmarks, history and even cookies on google servers and the next time you connect to the net, you will have your previous sessions restored. It almost gives you your own Firefox workspace even when you connect to the net even on other PCs. You just have to give your password. The next time you format your PC, just install GBS again and type in your password, and all your bookmarks will be restored. (BTW, if you just want to save your bookmarks online, without any other stuff, I would say that you use Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer)

Other extensions that I would recommend you to try are:
Tab Catalog: Gives you a preview of all the tabs
Sage: News reader
Foxytunes: Control any media player from the Firefox window
FoxyProxy: (to be used with Tor) Browse through proxies in Firefox, the next time you can't access sites like Megaupload.
PicLens: 3d image browsing on Google Image Search, Flickr, Photobucket, deviantart, etc
NoScript: Disables Java, javascript and other scripts and allows you to run them only on sites you want.

That's all I can say for now. You might want to check out the most popular and recommended addons on addons.mozilla.org for some more

BTW, you might also like to add a few search engines in firefox. Head over to *addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:4/cat:all?sort=name or *mycroft.mozdev.org/install.html

thanks Great post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom