Firefox 4: fast, powerful, and empowering

Rahim

Married!
Today, I presented an early product plan for Firefox 4 to the Mozilla community (live, over the web!) to share our vision for the next version of Firefox, and what projects are underway to realize it. Then I invited everyone to get involved by joining our engineering or product development efforts.
The primary goals for Firefox 4 will be making a browser:

• Fast: making Firefox super-duper fast
  • Powerful: enabling new open, standard Web technologies (HTML5 and beyond!),
  • Empowering: putting users in full control of their browser, data, and Web experience.
Usually software producers don’t present these sorts of plans in public until they’re finalized, but Mozilla is a little different. We work in the open, socializing our plans early and often to gather feedback and build excitement in our worldwide community. Not everyone could attend the presentation today, though, so I’m sharing the slides and video here as well.
That said: please understand that these plans are fluid and are likely to change. As with past releases, we use dates to set targets for milestones, and then we work together to track to those targets. We always judge each milestone release against our basic criteria of quality, performance, and usability, and we only ship when it’s ready.
If you have Firefox or a modern web browser that supports fully open HTML video, you can watch the presentation.

*beltzner.ca/mike/2010/05/10/firefox-4-fast-powerful-and-empowering/

a good news ^^ of FF4. I think the memory leak problem will be fixed in a short while.

---------- Post added at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

most of the time i open 10-15 tab then RAM uses is between 2.35-2.85

I also use firefox with 10-15 tabs but mine goes upto 3.10-3.20 ram :| in windows 7 but ubuntu uses lower ram even with 15+ tabs .

sujoyp

Grand Master
3.10 by u mean more then 3gb:???:??? better use opera..it consumes less memory

I use firefox too and love it...I want a similar feature like opera turbo boost....it degrades the quality but improves the speed drastically:-D

Stuge

Youngling
Only reason I see these days for using FF is bcoz of plugins it has got .otherwise I prefer to use chrome .

sujoyp

Grand Master
actually I think it depends purely on websites which u r viewing...number of plugins and addons used simultaniously

i basically browse wiki, ubuntu forums, digit forum, linoob forum, seven forums, twitter, facebook and some tech news blogs and firefox is loaded with addons ;)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
*img185.imageshack.us/img185/9756/operao.th.png

11 tabs + IRC tab.

sujoyp

Grand Master
ok mine too with 10 tabs is taking 170mb...but it really depend on websites

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=*img101.imageshack.us/i/usage.jpg/%20target=_blank%3E[IMG]*img101.imageshack.us/img101/5818/usage.th.jpg*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=*img101.imageshack.us/i/usage.jpg/%20target=_blank%3E[IMG=*img101.imageshack.us/img101/5818/usage.th.jpg]*img101.imageshack.us/i/usage.jpg/*yfrog.com/2tusagej

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing on which Mozilla needs to focus on is the performance of Extensions with Firefox.

ok mine too with 10 tabs is taking 170mb...but it really depend on websites

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=*img101.imageshack.us/i/usage.jpg/%20target=_blank%3E[IMG]*img101.imageshack.us/img101/5818/usage.th.jpg*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=*img101.imageshack.us/i/usage.jpg/%20target=_blank%3E[IMG=*img101.imageshack.us/img101/5818/usage.th.jpg]*yfrog.com/2tusagej
Firefox's memory problems were fixed long back. It has just got a bad name for being "heavy on memory." It actually uses less memory than Opera and Chrome. (I've observed this since 3.6) That doesn't mean it is faster though. :p

pushkar

Journeyman
Firefox's memory problems were fixed long back. It has just got a bad name for being "heavy on memory." It actually uses less memory than Opera and Chrome. (I've observed this since 3.6) That doesn't mean it is faster though. :p
This (wo)man speaks the truth. My main browser is Opera, but I have observed that Firefox is the browser with the lowest memory footprint.

Chrome, on the other hand, uses a lot of memory. Just because it's fast in rendering websites, people get the illusion that it is lightweight, when in fact, it is far from it.

Top Bottom