Finding Yourself without GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Google's new technology could enable location-finding services on cell phones that lack GPS.
By Kate Greene

*www.technologyreview.com/files/13799/googlephone_x220.jpg​
Location without GPS: Google’s new feature on Google Maps, called My Location, can locate a cell phone within about 1,000 meters by interrogating the nearest cell-phone tower.​

Last week Google added a new feature, called My Location, to its Web-based mapping service. My Location collects information from the nearest cell-phone tower to estimate a person's location within a distance of about 1,000 meters. This resolution is obviously not sufficient for driving directions, but it can be fine for searching for a restaurant or a store. "A common use of Google Maps is to search nearby," says Steve Lee, product manager for Google Maps, who likened the approach to searching for something within an urban zip code, but without knowing that code. "In a new city, you might not know the zip code, or even if you know it, it takes time to enter it and then to zoom in and pan around the map."

Many phones support software that is able to read the unique identification of a cell-phone tower and the coverage area that surrounds it is usually split into three regions. Lee explains that My Location uses such software to learn which tower is serving the phone--and which coverage area the cell phone is operating in. Google also uses data from cell phones in the area that do have GPS to help estimate the locations of the devices without it. In this way, Google adds geographic information to the cell-phone tower's identifiers that the company stores in a database.

More Info

din

Tribal Boy
WOW

This is really great and useful I think.

Downloaded in my SE K550i and checked it.

Showed my place correctly and also nearby places !!!

Restaurants may not work for this place I think, but its useful in finding roads etc I think as I see many places, roads etc.

DARK LORD said:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work in India so far... atleast not where I live.
No, it worked perfectly for me

Trying to take a pic using my cam, will post if its clear...

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
More info at

*www.google.com/gmm/index.html

Download Maps at www.google.com/gmm

on your mobile web browser

I was trying with my digital cam but it didn't work :(

Cousin bought a new scanner, so thought of taking scan instaed ;)

Kept a transparent sheet on scanner and put mobile on that lol, did not want to make scratches on his scanner on the first day !!

Will see how it goes ...

Ok, here it is

*img90.imageshack.us/img90/9636/googlegmm1cb7.th.jpg
(click to enlarge the image)

That is not phone cover, but the plastic paper I used lol

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
In SE, run it, then press 0 (zero), it will show your location - with a small circle. And using the menu, you can use all map functions as well.

Gigacore said:
does this require GPRS ?
Yes, this need GPRS, as it shows map through internet connection.

Last edited:

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
where is beta download link?
Pressing 0 doesnt work.
how much time does it take for locating position?

A11B1ack

Right off the assembly line
Just downloaded google map from google's website in my mobile and its working fine but the my location option is not available for my mobile phone(N72).
Go to help option of google map and then select my location o(beta)...its showing "sorry,My location is not available on this device." :confused::(

din

Tribal Boy
blueshift said:
where is beta download link?
Pressing 0 doesnt work.
how much time does it take for locating position?

Download the app from - www.google.com/gmm - directly to your mobile using the mobile's web browser.

Pressing 0 is for SE, I am not sure whether it is same for Nokia.

Time - the location loaded very fast, like 3-4 seconds only for me - I am on GPRS, not EDGE, still the speed while using the map is ok kinda (not fast).

Didn't work on my cousin's Nokia, not sure which are all mobiles are supported ..

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
casanova said:
Thats a great service. I doubt if it would work with Airtel Live.

I am using Airtel MO. It is working perfect. So it should work on Live too ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom