Finally I have a 20k budget for a good phone. Need help deciding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam1972

Right off the assembly line
This is my personal experience. I bought this n85 mobile for Rs 24000 but had to sell it after 3 days at 19000.
1. Loose slider,loose numeric keypad (believe me u can take it out just by putting your nail under its lower end), it is made of very thin cheap plastic. Battery cover is also loose with play.
2. Camera is worse than my earlier n82,lack of xenon flash,poor camera butten,fails to lock focus even on repeated pressing. Poor feel of camera button.
3. OLED screen very poor performance in direct sunlight.
4. USB charger- more wear and tear at single point. The 2mm charger is most durable.
5. Fm transmitter poor signal only a gimmick.
6. Slow fp2 interface,poor graphics(no 3d accelerator)just compare the photo gallery with n82 (n82 has a graphic accelerator and dual processor)
I had to revert back to my old faithful n82 which i think is still the best nokia smartphone. i have been using for last 7-8 months. n79 looks like another cheap nokia model.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
I have used n82 for 10 months , n95 8gb for a month and been using n85 for last one month. n85 is fantastic for me. Only gps is not working properly for me. Looks like u had a very faulty unit. That does not mean every n85 is bad. Mine is working like a charm. And with its latest firmware update its camera performance is improved too :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
N79 costs 19k although lacks some features like xenon flash and graphics accelerator. *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/30a.gif

I find Dual LED better then Xenon cos the difference isn't much in brightness & Xenon cannot be used as a Torch light or for video recording as it cannot stay on.

Graphics accelerator matters only for gaming, everything else like Video playback, menu transition can be done in CPU too....

Unless U need these 2 features, I don't think Nokia N79 is bad

raj_in

In the zone
N82 is the obvious choice for a solid performer u can totally depend on it
But it lacks the style of the 5800 & the screen is smaller

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I find Dual LED better then Xenon cos the difference isn't much in brightness & Xenon cannot be used as a Torch light or for video recording as it cannot stay on.
Read this:

*www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/Camera_Nitty_Gritty-part_2.php

OP
hahahari

hahahari

In the zone
5800Xm seems to be out of question due to the fact that it has only touch screen and my hands are pretty big and am a rough user.

The million dollar que is

N82 or N85

Am not a big fan of Xenon flash and I also need flaunt value and bigger screen. Which makes the N85 better choice.
But the Graphics Chip has me by the baals .... Does N85 perform and optimum level when running Ngage games and during videos?

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent

Graphics accelerator matters only for gaming, everything else like Video playback, menu transition can be done in CPU too....

Unless U need these 2 features, I don't think Nokia N79 is bad

ur completely wrong abt xenon. xenon flash is way much better than dual/tri/four/n led setups. I badly miss xenon flash in n85.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
N82 or N85

Am not a big fan of Xenon flash and I also need flaunt value and bigger screen. Which makes the N85 better choice.
But the Graphics Chip has me by the baals .... Does N85 perform and optimum level when running Ngage games and during videos?
Get the N95 8GB then. It has a 2.8" display, graphics accelerator and N-Gage gaming.

xtremedia

Broken In
N79 and N85 come with S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 which has improvements like theme effects, improved task manager etc.
Feature wise they are almost identical to N82, with N85 having a 2.6 " OLED Screen whereas N82 and N79 have 2.4 TFT".
(OLED is supposed to be brighter and better than TFT)

Also one more thing, reviews of N79 and N85 at gsmarena.com

*www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n79-review-299p6.php

*www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n85-review-297p6.php

show that they have a peculiar problem with image zooming in the gallery. It takes too long to zoom an image.
Might be a small software problem and may get resolved with firmware updates.

Overall i say go with the latest N79 / N85 as per ur budget and hope that the zooming problem is solved in the firmware updates.

OP
hahahari

hahahari

In the zone
Yes, thats what I have decided 79/85

I dont know the advantage of 85 over 79. Nothing that actually justifies the 4k I have to pay extra to get 85, except the screen size and OLED.

Does 85 have any other advantage over 79?

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
N85 also has dedicated music/gaming keys, USB charging and comes with an 8gb memory card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom