Finally a poor man buys his first graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
So guys after days (years) of mulling over it, posting various queries in this forum i collected the will to go and buy myself a graphics card till now all i used are the onboard setup od 815 and 865 so with a fixed budget of 7000/- i went first to the ASUS dealer in bangalore aim to buy a 5700 or 9600 (priority one) for self ok till now the vendor gave me a jolt 5700 = Rs 10500/- 9600=13300/- . What is this all the guys in this forum tell me almost half the price so i dilute my standards 5200= Rs 5300/- not satisfied i go to the Gainward dealer his rates are 5200=Rs 4300/- and he had a card Gainward pro 680/TV/DVi 256 Mb ram = Rs 6220/- he claimed it is good. So I bought the card.
Now guys tell me how is this stuff ? what all to do to make it work in debian and Genttoo.

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
MOst probably will be autodetected if u have the latest ver.
Or install the rpms that came with your driver cd.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I'm quite surprised at the prices quoted by your Asus dealer. I don't know about Asus prices, but I bought similar items in Kolkata at these prices :

FX5200 @ Rs.4800/-, FX5600 @ Rs.6200/- (XFX brand, 8 months ago so I expect prices have dropped quite a bit since then)

More recently : FX5700 @ Rs.6250/-

All of the above have TV-out and DVI. Kolkata isn't exactly the mecca of computer hardware, so I'd expect you'd get better prices and a wider selection in Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi.

OP
P

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
the problem is that the driver i have set is "nv" it works ok but the documentation says that the driver in Xconfig should be "nvidia" if i do this X crashes i have loaded both the driver and kernel patch for the same but it is not working out.

G

gxsaurav

Ask linux geeks here about how to install, & good U got NVIDIA on Linux, cos ATI sux on Linux

but first read the how to document on NVIDIA site

ganesh8

Broken In
pimpom said:
I'm quite surprised at the prices quoted by your Asus dealer. I don't know about Asus prices, but I bought similar items in Kolkata at these prices :

FX5200 @ Rs.4800/-, FX5600 @ Rs.6200/- (XFX brand, 8 months ago so I expect prices have dropped quite a bit since then)

All of the above have TV-out and DVI. Kolkata isn't exactly the mecca of computer hardware, so I'd expect you'd get better prices and a wider selection in Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But have you asked yourself why XFX is so cheap ? Ever wondered why XFX does not get a good review ?

XFX is known to use cheaper and substandard RAM to make their cards cheaper. They are also known to sell 32 bit or 64 bit versions and passing them off as 128 bit.

When you buy a XFX, you get great packaging but a crippled card inside.

When you buy an ASUS or GAINWARD or MSI card, you are assured of QUALITY and PERFORMANCE without any hanky panky business.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
'lo ganesh8, I won't waste bandwidth by quoting your post since there are only a few messages in this thread. But to get to the point .....

I'm well aware that XFX's reputation is not in the same league as Asus', but remember that the OP is a price-conscious buyer.

When I said that I don't know Asus prices, I meant that I don't have recent figures for these items. I've built literally dozens of computers based on products by big-name brands like Asus, Gigabyte, etc, but there are certain cases where the smaller brands perform just as well as the big guns, and for many buyers it's not worth shelling out the extra cash for a name.

In many cases, a small lead in benchmark points is not noticeable in real-life usage. And I've seen big-name products fail for no apparent reason. If someone can afford to pay 50-100% more for a product by the big names, I'm all for it - a slight edge in performance & reliability, snob value, etc. But for others there are often more sensible options.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Yup pimpom is right to a certain extent ! these days it's not abt brands but more abt performance. The XFX cards in the lower segment have crippled features but then even Asus has a 64 bit memory bus Fx5200 and so does MSI, and Ledtek. I dont think big names these days warrant performance. Its all about benchmarks, reviews and ratings. And btw XFX 6800 series are among the hot-selling cards for now.

boeing_737

Broken In
Hi,
Which shop did you go.??Ph.??
Did he have the same card with 64MB DDR Ram.??
If i am correct, the chipset is the Geforce 4 Ti4200 :roll:

rohanbee

Padawan
Yes, xfx pine cards are one of the first with the 6 series cards and the cheapest. The 6600 plain jain retails at around 150$ in the US

nikhilesh

Journeyman
ganesh8 said:
pimpom said:

Sorry to burst your bubble. But have you asked yourself why XFX is so cheap ? Ever wondered why XFX does not get a good review ?

XFX is known to use cheaper and substandard RAM to make their cards cheaper. They are also known to sell 32 bit or 64 bit versions and passing them off as 128 bit.

When you buy a XFX, you get great packaging but a crippled card inside.

When you buy an ASUS or GAINWARD or MSI card, you are assured of QUALITY and PERFORMANCE without any hanky panky business.

excuse me mister,but i think ur wrong there.all this cr@p abt XFX being substandard is bullSH**.xfx's cards have excellent performance for their price and sometimes give dealers like asus/msi a run for their money.and also their cards r highly overclockable.i oc'ed my card from 275/286 to 330/350 on stock without any probs and my friend oc'ed his card from 275/286 to 400/540 on stock cooling! and also hav u seen XFX's revs properly to comment lik that??their Ti4600 was the best card when it released and their 6800GT is an awesome card too!

OP
P

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
er excuse me guys please do not forget me and my problem ... linux .... nvidia ...? and please dont fight over a trivial issue all cards are great and the one you have is the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom