Finalized gaming rig and how to buy pc parts suggestions.

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
I have been hanging around thinkdigit for quite a time now and i have been asking a lot of questions and have done a lot of research for putting together my first ever rig.so here goes..

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
Ans:Dota 2

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:45k,47k max.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:huge doubt about it.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:500gb but i already have wd 500gb blue.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want.
Ans.yes.20-24 inches.full hd.
7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:HArd Drive,mouse keyboard,dvd writer. graphic card for now

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:As soon as possible.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Delhi.Nehru Place.No Need

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I wont be buying a graphic card for now will buy 7950 3 months later and need an intel rig for unavoidable reasons.Also i would be buying a sdd in the near future :-D.

I visited nehru place and got the following price

I5-3570k-13800/I7-3770-15900
GB Z77X-UD3H-12100/GB Z77X D3H -8300
GSKILL RIPJAWS X 1600 MHZ 4GB-2000 (RAM PRICES ARE GOING BONKERS)
Corsair gs 600-4300
Cooler master haf 912 combat (with side window)-4600
apc 600va-2150
Monitor-dell s2240l-8700

Total:i5+ud3h=47700
i7+d3h=46000
also a cooler for overclocking would set me back another 2000 and i have not included speakers yet.

So should i go for an i7 with matx motherboard or an i5 with full mobo and ocing ability
I have a lot of apprehensions about ocing as i dont have the required knowledge about it (lets just say 3 months back i didnt even knew that mobos have heatsink and we can change the voltage of processors)
And according to toms hardware :
"Hyper-Threading does have an impact on gaming. The i3s prove this. It's not important for the i7 right now because it already has four high-performance cores, but that Hyper-Threading doesn't help it due to games generally not needing eight threads has nothing to do with how Hyper-Threading affects games. That's to do with sheer number of threads being more than necessary, similar to the FX-8xxx CPUs' situation. "

So maybe down the line hyper threading would give a boost to gaming and i plan to keep this rig for atleast 3 years.

Reviews on flipkart suggest that the s2240l is very glossy,would that pose a major problem while gaming ?

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT:i want to double up my monitor as a tv,is that possible?how to do that?i want to watch channel via a tata sky.

Also i plan to buy from smc international or cost to cost.should i ask for a different bill for each component?are these shops reliable??

Last edited:

rock2702

Padawan
If your playing only dota 2,you can get the amd a10 5800k which will run the game at high settings.If you want to play other latest games as well you would need a good GPU,like the 7850 or 660 minimum.Including a GPU will exceed your budget.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Actually a valuable suggestion.
NiGHtfUrY, if you wanna a powerful rig and willing to play other games too and want only Intel then get the following:-

Intel Core i5 3470 @ 11K
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H @ 4.2K
Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz 8GB X 1 DDR3 @ 3.2K
Corsair GS600 @ 4.4K
Cabinet @ your choice
APC 1.1 KVA UPS @ 4.7K

Now problem is, I am not sure whether the HD2500, the IGP of i5 3450, can play the game at highest setting @ 1080P resolution. But If you're going with i5 instead of i7, with the saved money, you can easily get a card like HD 7770 @ 8K or HD 7750 @ 6.8K

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
^^ Actually a valuable suggestion.
NiGHtfUrY, if you wanna a powerful rig and willing to play other games too and want only Intel then get the following:-

Intel Core i5 3470 @ 11K
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H @ 4.2K
Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz 8GB X 1 DDR3 @ 3.2K
Corsair GS600 @ 4.4K
Cabinet @ your choice
APC 1.1 KVA UPS @ 4.7K

Now problem is, I am not sure whether the HD2500, the IGP of i5 3450, can play the game at highest setting @ 1080P resolution. But If you're going with i5 instead of i7, with the saved money, you can easily get a card like HD 7770 @ 8K or HD 7750 @ 6.8K

even a low end gpu like a 7xxx series or gtx 5xx can handle dota 2, but the best option would we a a10 build (more vfm)

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
@ OP
You want to play only Dota 2 or you want to play other games.
Guys its better to wait and see Wat OP replies with...

@ OP
You want to play only Dota 2 or you want to play other games.
Guys its better to wait and see Wat OP replies with...
I dont think someone would buy a pc JUST for playing Dota 2. I thinnk he ment 'gaming, and mostly dota 2', just a recent dota 2 fanboy.

fx 8350 (11000)
Asus m5a97 (5800)
G.skill ripjaws / sniper 1600 MHz 4 GB (1700)
Corasir GS500 (4000)
Sapphire HD7870 (16000)
Dell st2220l (8500)
NZXT Gamma (2500)

total: 49500

OP
NiGHtfUrY

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
Thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions,i am sorry for not being able to reply as i have to go to a cyber cafe (no internet connection at home right now
:( )
I will be buying a graphic card later (7950 most probably,3-4 months later)till then i want to play dota 2 MAINLY therefore the HD 4000 are necessary.
Intel rig is necessary for unavoidable reasons. also please answer my i5 i7 query.
I am so sorry for not being clear earlier and i have edited my first post.
:)

Last edited:

rixon.d9

Journeyman
So for someone who isnt clear OP gonna play only DOTA till he buys the graphics card,After that Full On gaming..So Suggest a gaming rig !

Suggest you an ASUS Z77 Mobo.

OP
NiGHtfUrY

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
i have 12 max 13k for the mobo.which one do u suggest?
also does cm haf 912 with side window have usb 3.0?

sumalatha

Banned
I have been hanging around thinkdigit for quite a time now and i have been asking a lot of questions and have done a lot of research for putting together my first ever rig.so here goes..

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
Ans:Dota 2

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:45k,47k max.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:huge doubt about it.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:500gb but i already have wd 500gb blue.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want.
Ans.yes.20-24 inches.full hd.
7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:HArd Drive,mouse keyboard,dvd writer. graphic card for now

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:As soon as possible.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Delhi.Nehru Place.No Need

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I wont be buying a graphic card for now will buy 7950 3 months later and need an intel rig for unavoidable reasons.Also i would be buying a sdd in the near future :-D.

I visited nehru place and got the following price

I5-3570k-13800/I7-3770-15900
GB Z77X-UD3H-12100/GB Z77X D3H -8300
GSKILL RIPJAWS X 1600 MHZ 4GB-2000 (RAM PRICES ARE GOING BONKERS)
Corsair gs 600-4300
Cooler master haf 912 combat (with side window)-4600
apc 600va-2150
Monitor-dell s2240l-8700

Total:i5+ud3h=47700
i7+d3h=46000
also a cooler for overclocking would set me back another 2000 and i have not included speakers yet.

So should i go for an i7 with matx motherboard or an i5 with full mobo and ocing ability
I have a lot of apprehensions about ocing as i dont have the required knowledge about it (lets just say 3 months back i didnt even knew that mobos have heatsink and we can change the voltage of processors)
And according to toms hardware :
"Hyper-Threading does have an impact on gaming. The i3s prove this. It's not important for the i7 right now because it already has four high-performance cores, but that Hyper-Threading doesn't help it due to games generally not needing eight threads has nothing to do with how Hyper-Threading affects games. That's to do with sheer number of threads being more than necessary, similar to the FX-8xxx CPUs' situation. "

So maybe down the line hyper threading would give a boost to gaming and i plan to keep this rig for atleast 3 years.

Reviews on flipkart suggest that the s2240l is very glossy,would that pose a major problem while gaming ?

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT:i want to double up my monitor as a tv,is that possible?how to do that?i want to watch channel via a tata sky.

Also i plan to buy from smc international or cost to cost.should i ask for a different bill for each component?are these shops reliable??

Buddy this is VFM config for you:

Intel Core i5 3570k -13900,
Asrock Z77 Pro3 -7500,
Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600MHz -3000,
Corsair GS600 -4500,
Corsair 300R Windowed Side-panel -3900,
Dell ST2220L 22" LED -8000,
APC 600VA UPS -2800,
CM Hyper 212 Evo -2200,
Logitech Z313 2.1 Speakers -1600.
TOTAL -47,400.

All the above prices are Hyderabad prices as of now.

OP
NiGHtfUrY

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
Thank you so much @ sumaltha I thought no one was going to post.
Why shouldn't I go for an l7 3770?If a want to oc an i5 I have to go for at least gb ud3h and also a cooler where as an i7 and a cheap Z77 mobo would cost cheaper. Please answer. :D

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Why shouldn't I go for an l7 3770?If a want to oc an i5 I have to go for at least gb ud3h and also a cooler where as an i7 and a cheap Z77 mobo would cost cheaper. Please answer. :D

Any Intel overclockable cpu needs an aftermarket cooler because the in stock HSF literally sucks.

So If you are building Intel inside, you need a mental (read aftermarket cpu cooler) outside. CM Hyper 212 evo is the best vfm and the cheapest option for a mediocre overclocking.

OP
NiGHtfUrY

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
Thank you @rakesh but I am talking about i73770 non k
Hence the overclockable i5 costs more than the non Oc i7.so which one should I go for?

sumalatha

Banned

Please inspect the following sites to get a clear picture about Asrock Z77 Pro3. Ok.

**www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4852/asrock_z77_pro3_intel_z77_motherboard_review/index.html

**www.legitreviews.com/article/1998/

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
I would like you to go wid what harshilsharma63 has suggested. Gaming performance depends on the GPU than the CPU.
If you go wid the intel one what sumalatha has suggested gaming performance will be very very weak as compared to what harshilsharma63 has suggested.
HD 7870 100 times powerful than a HD 4000 . So +1 to
harshilsharma63's Config.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Thank you @rakesh but I am talking about i73770 non k
Hence the overclockable i5 costs more than the non Oc i7.so which one should I go for?

Yup for any non K Intel CPU build doesnt demand an aftermarket cooler for the simple reason that you will not be able to OC it.

If overclocking isnt what you are looking for and if its gaming that you are interested in, then stick to what Harshil has suggested.

Also, It would be better if you can put down your usage details with the PC for a better understanding of your CPU and GPU needs.

BTW, to give you a heads up on what people might be looking for the clarity on is-

Dota 2 isnt so much of a GPU intensive game. So even a lower end GPU can play it. But if there are other games that you will be playing and are interested in, mention them so that people can suggest you an appropriate GPU.

Also mention all the high end softwares (if any) that you are planning to work on in your machine so that people can suggest you the CPU accordingly.

OP
NiGHtfUrY

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
I have the money for a gpu but if I buy it now all I can get is a 7870 but if I wait for 3 months then I can buy a 7950 or maybe even a 7970 so I want to buy other core components right now and the gpu later,but I want to play dot a 2 now so I need at least HD 4000 but when I get a gpu I will start full on gaming .
Also I don't like the idea of ocing very much so since I can afford a non oc i7 I am inclining towards it and then I don't have to take part in all the oc business.
I am sorry for not being very clear, also I don't have a PC so I have to use the mobile.

Also in a non phony and non rude way,please read my first post I think you will be able to understand my dilemma better.Please

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I have the money for a gpu but if I buy it now all I can get is a 7870 but if I wait for 3 months then I can buy a 7950 or maybe even a 7970 so I want to buy other core components right now and the gpu later,but I want to play dot a 2 now so I need at least HD 4000 but when I get a gpu I will start full on gaming .
Also I don't like the idea of ocing very much so since I can afford a non oc i7 I am inclining towards it and then I don't have to take part in all the oc business.
I am sorry for not being very clear, also I don't have a PC so I have to use the mobile.

Also in a non phony and non rude way,please read my first post I think you will be able to understand my dilemma better.Please

As I already pinpointed, go with Harshils suggestion on the build (-GPU as you want to save more to get a better one).

AMD is a great setup and is vfm and all the bells and whistles that you are expecting from threading, you will get it with the octa core setup of AMD processors. Also note that the stock HSF of AMD processors are far superior to what Intel provides and you will not need any aftermarket cooler unless to OC to extreme (which anyways you are not interested in)

OP
NiGHtfUrY

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
Even I am thinking about Amd rig.should I change the mobo to a M5a99fx since I have the cash or is it only for ocing?

Top Bottom