Few questions.

ParaXite

Power User
I am new to laptops so i decided to start a new thread to get some of my questions answered.

1. Can laptop components handle higher temperatures than desktop counterparts? My CPU spikes to 85*C while gaming (coolsense on coolest mode) and 55*C while idle. (Note: My room temperature is 37*C). I'm going to get a cooling pad soon but is 85*C okay while on full load?

2. I don't have 16:9 resolution options on some older games and there is no way to force them fullscreen (scaling) in the catalyst control centre as well. Any fix?

3. Is undervolting safe? and more importantly is it needed to make the CPU run cooler?

4. Why does my CPU have maximum load on Core3 while the others are almost idle even while gaming.

Thank you for your time, help appreciated. :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
1. yes but idle looks high. well you have core i7 2670 which will produce some heat. i guess it is a 45W unit.
2. i doubt. most old games support 16:9 with some user made patch & updates. even Half Life 2 have it.
3. you can try. Intel processor mayn't allow this. specially in a laptop.
4. Turbo Boost. game uses 1 core or 2 core usually.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
3. Not possible since sandybridge buddy. Its all locked now. (not very sure, just remember reading it somewhere)

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
1. yes but idle looks high. well you have core i7 2670 which will produce some heat. i guess it is a 45W unit.
2. i doubt. most old games support 16:9 with some user made patch & updates. even Half Life 2 have it.
3. you can try. Intel processor mayn't allow this. specially in a laptop.
4. Turbo Boost. game uses 1 core or 2 core usually.

2. I dont know why I only have 640x480 800x600 and 1024x768 options in NFS Carbon, NFS undercover, GTA San andreas (widescreen ON doesnt work)

Btw these games are installed on my external HD and they run by clicking on the exe. Is that the problem?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
2. I dont know why I only have 640x480 800x600 and 1024x768 options in NFS Carbon, NFS undercover, GTA San andreas (widescreen ON doesnt work)

Btw these games are installed on my external HD and they run by clicking on the exe. Is that the problem?

its not related to HDD. irrespective of what resolution the laptop screen have all resolution option should be there. check if there is a way to change resolution editing the games config file.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
its not related to HDD. irrespective of what resolution the laptop screen have all resolution option should be there. check if there is a way to change resolution editing the games config file.

Exactly what I tried to do but there is no config file. I've done this before for dota 2 but I cant a config file for these games.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
see if you have set any force resolution settings in drivers.

i have a lenovo z570 i can ran NFS & GTA SA in widescreen.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
see if you have set any force resolution settings in drivers.

i have a lenovo z570 i can ran NFS & GTA SA in widescreen.

Tried to find that too but for some reason the latest AMD catalyst control centre for mobile gpu's has very few options even in the "advance" view.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Driver problem ?

Installing anywhere is not a problem.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
Driver problem ?

Installing anywhere is not a problem.

I have the latest AMD drivers and there is 1366x768 resolution option in other games like warcraft 3 Dota 2 CoD MW2 etc... but not in those games...but on my desktop they work....i'm so confused!

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
Then install them also on laptops :p

Ok. Let me explain. I have ALL games on my external HD direct click and play type but some run on just those 3 resolutions and the rest have the 1366x768 options. Should I try rolling back my AMD driver?

Those same games work in widescreen resolutions on my desktop.

sumansherlock

Broken In

Try this SW ShiftWindow and come back
btw i haven't tried it..try it on your own and reply here

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
85° on full load is not worse but should have been a bit lower. But 55° at normal is ok, because your ambient temp (37°) is pretty high. I operate my laptop (5 months old Vaio CB35) in ambient temp of around say 32° or so, it stays around 48°-52°. So 55° is not bad considering the scorching heat. BTW how long your laptop is? If it is brand new (less than 2 months), then the temps are a bit on higher side.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
85° on full load is not worse but should have been a bit lower. But 55° is ok, because your ambient temp (37°) is pretty high. I operate my laptop (5 months old Vaio CB35) in ambient temp of around say 32° or so, it stays around 48°-52°. So 55° is not bad considering the scorching heat. BTW how long your laptop is? If it is brand new (less than 2 months), then the temps are a bit on higher side.

Haha :D the laptop is one day old. But on full load it goes that high then quickly drops back when out of game. And 85 is the max, it hits 85 then is on 77-80 average.

Also the ambient temperature can rise to 40 as well as my room is hotter than the surroundings.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Haha :D the laptop is one day old. But on full load it goes that high then quickly drops back when out of game. And 85 is the max, it hits 85 then is on 77-80 average.

Also the ambient temperature can rise to 40 as well as my room is hotter than the surroundings.

Being from HP (your laptop), temps can be said good :p

Now launch the game :))

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
Being from HP (your laptop), temps can be said good :p

Now launch the game :))

Okay I get it. But my question is that will my CPU be able to take frequent heavy loads and high temperatures (games) and still function properly? Is it equipped to handle high temperatures and last for years?

(I've read that laptop components are made to handle better temperatures than their desktop counterparts)

Yeah, I do take breaks after an hour of gaming and I let my laptop cool down.

Top Bottom