Fedora + XP= nltdr missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshar

Broken In
I recently installed XP on my 20 GB harddisk that had following partitions
C: D: E: F: G:

G: had windows xp

I installed Fedora core 3 on F: and now when I try to boot through hda0,6 I get error saying nltdr missing I have XP pro cd what to do?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
How does it come to (hda0,6)? As you say you have 5 partitions, then it should be (hd0,4)
Or maybe it will be (hd0,6) and you are naming it as (hda0,6) which is again wrong as per grub terminology.

Venom

Journeyman
No, I too have a pretty similar config, My first C: is Sda1, and Sda2 is the extended partition table which has Sda5,6,7, and 8. So where is 3 and 4 ? ;)

Just use your winxp disc and replace ntldr from it in G:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Venom said:
No, I too have a pretty similar config, My first C: is Sda1, and Sda2 is the extended partition table which has Sda5,6,7, and 8. So where is 3 and 4 ? ;)

Just use your winxp disc and replace ntldr from it in G:
Well cos it's logical partitions. Numbering of logical partitions starts from 5.

Akshar try changing to (hd0,6) from hda0,6 and see if that works.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Akshay,

Jus REPAIR the WIN XP installation (DO NOT reinstall XP) jus Repair and it will solve the problem.. :)

Cheers n e-peace...

OP
A

akshar

Broken In
thanks guys! the actula problem was that I installed linux on the same partition as windows so you can guess what must have happened. I am not so dumb usually but this time I was fooled by the order in which linux and wondows showed my drives.
My last G: drive had windows but it was displayed as hda6 and D: was displayed as hda7
So I installed linux in hda6 thinking it was d:

knight17

In the zone
I also had the same problem with ubuntu...
I formatted it and in the recovery console issued the command "fixboot"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom