fedora or suse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I had good experience with both of them. If you have a good hardware configuration with graphics cards go for Suse 10.2. The compiz with XGL works out-ofthe-box with amazing effects provided you have installed drivers for your card and its supported. If not, you'd be better with Fedora.

praka123

left this forum longback
for a newbie best bet will be any ubuntu versions,especially those like linux mint freespire etc which bundles multimedia codecs and other blobs along.also they must understand that Linux is another Operating System.read below:
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Suse

hellknight said:
Well, i'll vote for SUSE 10.2, it automatically mounts the windoes partitions, it has one of the best configuration tool Yast, it can play mp3's and much more. It also comes loaded with Java environment, flash plugin & Adobe Acrobat reader.

opensuse 10.2 auto mounts windows partitions? Are they ntfs of fat? As far as I know, on my laptop, it doesn't even detect ntfs partition. FAT mounts great and works great as well.

By the way, I have not tried FC6, but opensuse 10.2 is really very very good. I have been using it for some 20 days now. It crashed a couple of times, but then, it is less as compared to windows. So I am loving it, SUSE. I would suggest that you go for it. And it has got gui for most of the things. (to do most of the things).

The only problem that I found was that, amarok cannot play mp3 by default, but you can get some libraries and xine or xmms (i cannot remember) engine. And then amarok plays mp3,wma.

And to play DVDs and mpeg,avi and all, just get VLC player. And you have gui for all that, and it's very easy. So I think it really is very good. And net connection, using broadband is a piece of cake.

Go for it.

Aditya

kp_dude2000

Right off the assembly line
Suse id damn sexy distro I have ever seen. Was using redhat earlier but after suse 9, i felt in love with suse since then m using suse.

Go for suse.

Rgrds

KP

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Well look at the following points about SuSE 10.2

1. it automatically mounts the windows partitions
2. It also supports MP3 files with its player banshee n amarok
3. It has the best control tool in the business, YaST the crowinig jewel.
4. You can easily enable 3D effects on the desktop.
5. Unlike Fedora, it can be updated by the CD's and the DVD's equally.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Re: Suse

@@ Aditya

Dear Adi, i've been using SUSE for over 1.5 years. It can mount ntfs partitions. For that firstly you'll have to do it while installing it. Go in the partitioning section, click on base setup on this proposal, and then in the next window click on re-read partition table, then install suse on the free space that you've created for it. As far playing mp3's, banshee does the job and well you've enabled its multimedia features that's great

Last edited:

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@Hellknight

Thanks for the info, but I searched for that and the partitioner in YAST did the job for me. At first there were some problems, but then it worked out. Thanks anyways.

Aditya

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
aditya.shevade said:
@Hellknight

Thanks for the info, but I searched for that and the partitioner in YAST did the job for me. At first there were some problems, but then it worked out. Thanks anyways.

Aditya

Always delighted to help. Now please help me out. I want to run Videos on it but i don't have a fast internet connection. But I can go to cyber cafes for downloading anything. So please guide me..

Pathik

Google Bot
i think u shd download the w32 codecs pack., or get vlc player.. I think its available 4 linux nd plays most formats

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
hellknight said:
Always delighted to help. Now please help me out. I want to run Videos on it but i don't have a fast internet connection. But I can go to cyber cafes for downloading anything. So please guide me..
I am not sure, but you should have mplayer in the CD/DVD of SUSE. If you haven't installed it, then install it. Then download win32codecs rpm from packman *packman.links2linux.org/package/Win32-Codecs
Pathiks have you ever tried installing VLC manually? If not then try it once. Of course vlc is available for linux it's a FOSS product after all.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
aditya.shevade said:
^^I don't think that mplayer is there on the DVD, I dunno about the CD. But you can get that or the VLC player. I installed VLC from it's site www.videolan.org/vlc and download the rpm package.

Thanks everyone above for letting me know about multimedia in SUSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom