fedora or suse

Status
Not open for further replies.

varunprabhakar

In the zone
i ve isos of fedora core 6 n suse 10.2. pls suggest one of the two.
i want it to have
a cool grafix interface
support for all my hardware
gud software support
easy to use
low on system resources ( i ve 512mb ram)
able to connect to my dataone broadband connection easily.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Both are equally good on the counts you have mentioned. It's just that different people will tell different things. Just select anyone and get started.
Here check some reviews of FC6 and Suse 10.2 and decide for yourself which feels better.
FC 6 - *www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=fedora+core+6+review&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
OpenSuse 10.2 - *www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=opensuse+10.2+review&btnG=Search&meta=

mehulved

Search for it on google please. See every distro has it's own merits and demerits. Each distro will be liked by different people. Distros like (K/X)Ubuntu, Suse, FC, Mandriva, etc are for newbies. All are equally good.
As for Linspire it's not so widely used by Open Source community, it's despised very much. You shouldn't bother as to why for now. The thing is that if you use linspire not a lot of people will be able to help you as very few people have used it for a long enough time. But, you can still go ahead and give it a try. It has it's own merits too.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Varun, If you are new to Linux. Then start with Fedora Core 6. Although Suse 10.2 Linux
is also easier to use. It consumes more RAM. Also Suse Linux, is a bit slow.

eagle_y2j

Youngling
Suse !0.2 is sexiest OS i ever found ......I m really in Love with Suse .......Graphics are wooooooooooo................K Menu is dead drop gorgeous ....GUI are too easy to handle working great on my 256 MB stick.......(never hanged)

Dataon1 on Suse is a piece of cake:)

go for Suse

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
As a regular user of Fedora Core 6, I can say that it is a good distro but needs a little bit more polish...Ubuntu is ahead in many areas than Fedora...

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
fc6 is a good distro but we need to configure it a little which might hard code to cracks for newbies

so go for suse

A

ankitsagwekar

suse is sexy if u want run net it is good bcoz it renew ip address automaticaly

legolas

Padawan
i personally have used FC core versions alone and i should say i am contented. but would like to try suse linux sometime after hearing the reviews here! :) also, the suggestions that i have heard from most of the ppl so far is that UBUNTU is the best. so, incase u havnt installed yet, get the iso of that too! :) of course, start by installing that :D

/legolas

OP
V

varunprabhakar

In the zone
i am now thinking to go for ubuntu as everybody is recommending it 4 newbies
now i have another question.
whether to go in for 6.06 or 6.10
on their website they have mentioned, tht go for 6.06 if u want support.
tht means no support for 6.10??
also i am using amd athlon64.
so whether to go for 64 bit or 32 bit installation.
which will b better with better software support??
also wot is kubuntu?? is it better to use than ubuntu??
also should i go for ubuntu or some other distro based on ubuntu like christmas edition, since i am a newbie.

mehulved

See frankly it doesn't matter which one you go for unless certain hardware doesn't work on all the distros. You can go for ubuntu/suse/FC/mandriva/linspire/PCLinux OS,etc. All are good for newbies.
In 6.06 you will get updates till 1.5 yrs (7 months almost gone) whereas for 6.10 it will be till 7.04 releases. But, you can always upgrade to 7.04 after installing 6.10 or you can choose to live without updates(dangerous). That's the only support you get.
32 bit is recommended for newbies. 64 bit will still take some time to mature.
Kubuntu has KDE desktop whereas Ubuntu has GNOME desktop, Xubuntu has XFCE.
I read today, that for 7.04 there's gonna be one more version, Mubuntu (check ubuntu forums) or *ubuntustudio.org/
QwertyManiac has tried Ubuntu christmas edition and told me that he didn't like it so much. But, it's advantage is that it has a lot of proprietory softwares pre-installed which many distros do not have like mp3 support, flash, etc.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
well i like both but am currently using FC6 with Ubuntu and i quite like both. FC6 is very easy to configure. I am going to install OpenSuSE 10.2 soon.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Well, i'll vote for SUSE 10.2, it automatically mounts the windoes partitions, it has one of the best configuration tool Yast, it can play mp3's and much more. It also comes loaded with Java environment, flash plugin & Adobe Acrobat reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom