Fedora 9: The other things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
For starters, you can do a full-on plugins and codecs installation from the guide below. So I won't be telling that.

*www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html

I will be sharing some other stuff here, which I normally tend to do on my Fedora box and hope it will benefit the others.

1) Service Configuration:

You can customize what services you want to run and what to run at startup and then some more. Notice there is a difference here, by run I mean in all the runlevels and by startup, I mean only in the graphical login or runlevel 5.

Startup

Here's what my startup looks like

*www.imgx.org/files/17059_eo4kx/starrtup.png

You can comfortable disable(uncheck) the things like I have done here. You will find the launcher at System Main Menu > Preferences > Personal > Sessions.

Services

The services which I have left ON are NetworkManager, anacron, auditd, crond, iptables, messagebus, microcode_ctl, qemu, restorecond, rsyslog and wine. You can disable others except the ones with the controller like icons., see image below

*www.imgx.org/files/17057_zgdec/services.png

Those are required by the system on different run levels, so you can leave it as it is. You will find the launcher at System Main Menu > Administration > Services.

2) Sudo
:

This is for the die-hard users of sudo. To be able to do so, you have to add your username with privileges to the sudoers file, which is read by the system for granting access as per the defined objectives.

To edit this file, you have to do as follows in the terminal
$su
Enter root pass:
root$/usr/sbin/visudo

This will open a file in the terminal and you have to use the vi" commands to add the entry. It's pretty easy actually...

a> Use the cursor keys to move the in the file, in this case, keeping pressed the <down> cursor key will scroll the file downwards.
b> Look for a entry like root ALL=(ALL) ALL
c> That is the entry for the root, ALL implies total control over the system.
d> Now you have to add your username to reflect that, go to end of the file, hit the 'insert' key once to get into entry mode and type, i.,e like this
Code:
username  ALL=(root)   ALL
Look at the image below

*www.imgx.org/files/17058_etorf/visudo.png

A word of caution, adding like me will give you total control as in root, so use it wisely. When the entry is added, hit 'Escape' once, then the ':' key, then type 'wq' and hit 'enter'.

wq - is used to save the file
q - quit
q! - quit without saving

If you think you botched up the file, then please stop and use 'q!' immediately. Then you can start afresh again. For more information on visudo, read it's documentation.

Now can immediately check if it's working fine, using the rugular method of sudo'ing i.e., $sudo <somecommand>

3) Adding nifty packages

Apart from the plugins, the applications and all, there are some really nifty utilities available from the repo. Some of them are..

nautilus-open-terminal
: As the name says, it adds an entry to the right click menu to open the location in a terminal wherever applicable. A very handy app if you ask me. Install it by..
$yum install nautilus-open-terminal

yumex : A graphical frontend for the yum installer, very neat and very good.
$yum install yumex

nautilus-scripts : A neat set of scripts for the Nautilus file manager accessed by the right click menu like image conversion, batch rename, sound conversion etc. Just put it in search box in Yumex and you will find them.

gprename, krename
: A must have if you plan on batch renaming files.
$yum install krename

soundconverter : Again a nifty app for quick conversions of audio files.
$yum install soundconverter

gconf-editor : As known by all it's to control the various aspects of the GNOME desktop, if still not installed by the distro, then
$yum install gconf-editor

DONE.
That's all I can remember for now. I will keep updating as I find more.

OTHERS, please add your tips of the same in this thread.

Last edited:

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Thank you very much. Was looking for something like this to start my fc9 tour. It'll certainly make the life easier for noob like me.
Bhagwan tumhara bhala kare :D

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
disable NetworkManager - it sucks. do disable -

Code:
$ sudo /sbin/chkconfig --del NetworkManager

This will not delete the init script of NetworkManager but will disable it on all runlevels.

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Update:

One more super utility : mkbootdisk
$yum install mkbootdisk

As the name says, it makes as boot disk based on the current snapshot of the kernel state. This is far better than using a live cd to recover partitions or grub.

Open up terminal and do.,
[hitboxx@Mothership Desktop]$ sudo /sbin/mkbootdisk --iso --device sample.iso `uname -r` --verbose
Installing isolinux... done
Copying /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64... done.
Copying /boot/initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64.img... done.
Configuring bootloader... done.

Here : sample.iso - name of the iso file to create, can also be a path.
--iso - is used to tell the command to create an iso image on the disk
--verbose - is used to print put the status
`uname -r` - is used to specific the current kernel, if you have more than one kernel, you can even give the name of the particular one. [.NOTE: Those are backticks, not single quote, i.e., the ~ key ..]

Once done, burn the iso to a cd and keep it somewhere safe. Say your GRUB went kaput, boot with this cd, it will search for Linux partitons and mount it. Then just issue 'grub-install /dev/sda' or wherever you want it to go and it will be restored.

For more on mkbootdisk, see its documentation or man page.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Update:

One more super utility : mkbootdisk
$yum install mkbootdisk

As the name says, it makes as boot disk based on the current snapshot of the kernel state. This is far better than using a live cd to recover partitions or grub.

Open up terminal and do.,

Here : sample.iso - name of the iso file to create, can also be a path.
--iso - is used to tell the command to create an iso image on the disk
--verbose - is used to print put the status
`uname -r` - is used to specific the current kernel, if you have more than one kernel, you can even give the name of the particular one. [.NOTE: Those are backticks, not single quote, i.e., the ~ key ..]

Once done, burn the iso to a cd and keep it somewhere safe. Say your GRUB went kaput, boot with this cd, it will search for Linux partitons and mount it. Then just issue 'grub-install /dev/sda' or wherever you want it to go and it will be restored.

For more on mkbootdisk, see its documentation or man page.
+2

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Gnome-Screenshot:

It's an utility to capture the desktop screen and save it as an image file. But if you just hit the PrintScreen/Print button, all you get is a basic screen cap program called gnome-screenshot. In reality, this can be made to do more by adding the "--interactive" argument to gnome-screenshot. Now why hasn't his been the default for Print is beyond me.

Anyways this is how it is
*www.imgx.org/files/17517_y1twd/screen_inter.png​

You can do the same by going into gconf-editor (install it using yum if not yet) and navigating to apps > metacity > keybinding_commands and edit the value of command_screenshot with "gnome-screenshot --interactive".

*www.imgx.org/files/17518_iwdks/gconf.png​

Now whenever you hit the Print button, you get a much more controlled gnome-screenshot program.

NOTE: If you use other window managers like Compiz etc., modify that program's shortcut for screenshot.

A word of caution, adding like me will give you total control as in root, so use it wisely. When the entry is added, hit 'Escape' once, then the ':' key, then type 'wq' and hit 'enter'.

wq - is used to save the file
q - quit without saving

If you think you botched up the file, then please stop and use 'q' immediately. Then you can start afresh again. For more information on visudo, read it's documentation.

Umm.. Hitboxx, correct me if i am wrong, but in vim, if you have done some edits, accidental it may be, you can not quit by the 'q' command. You'll have to use q!, i think.

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Yes, you are right, my bad sorry, thanks for pointing it out. I had thought q! but typed q, what can I say, lag between my brain cells and my hand muscles :p

:) Thats all right. So how is your experience with Fedora 9 going? and ya, since i am a .NET programmer by profession, i like to have mono and monodevelop with full documentation for both mono and GTK#. Are all these packages on the Fedora 9 DVD? Haven't used fedora since version 4 mainly due to lack of space on my 40GB hdd in my 2 year old lappy.

I am currently using Mandriva One 2008. Can you or anybody else do a comparison on these two? I know at the core, all these are same but rate then on the basis of distro specific tools and utilities. Plz, its a request. Till now, My experience with Mandriva is very sweet :) specially the package manager is way too good then previous versions. Its ultra fast and i can't even feel the dependency hell that is said to be present in the RPM packaging method. Kudos to the Mandriva team for that!!

But i had to download too much of stuff after installing from the cd, to get it working for me, very little configuration was needed but downloads took quiet some time on my 256kbps connection. Thats why i had requested for the Free version DVD, atleast then i'll only have to download codecs :)

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^just wake up now to say this :p ? waah!

@krazzy: mono libs and all will be available in dvd for sure. :)

mediator

Technomancer
Latest Nvidia drivers released!

Release Highlights:

* Added support for the following new GPUs:
o Quadro FX 3600M
o GeForce 9800 GX2
o GeForce 9800 GTX
o GeForce 9600 GT
o GeForce 9600 GSO
o GeForce 9600 GS
o GeForce 9500M GS
o GeForce 8400
o GeForce 8400 GS
* Added support for Quadro FX 5600/4600 SDI and Quadro G-Sync II.
* Resolved a bug causing left and right eyes to be reversed in stereo mode on some Quadro FX GPUs.
* Fixed a problem that caused OpenGL to stop rendering to windows with origins at or beyond 4096 pixels (horizontally) on GeForce 8 and 9 GPUs.
* Fixed a bug causing some Quadro FX 4500 SDI configurations to take a long time to achieve synchronization.
* Added preliminary support for X.Org server 1.5.
* Addressed a problem causing visual corruption when using GeForce 8 GPUs to drive Chi Mei 56" displays.
* Addressed visual corruption when driving Cintiq 20WSX wide format tables with some GeForce 6 and 7 GPUs.
* Fixed OpenGL rendering corruption with textures compressed using the DXT5 compression algorithm.
* Fixed a regression that caused invalid EDIDs to be detected for the internal display device on some notebooks.
* Improved hotkey switching and power management support on some GeForce 8 notebooks.
* Fixed a regression causing some GeForce 6100/6150 systems to fail to restore the screen after DPMS cycles.
* Fixed a bug that prevented the console from being restored correctly in SLI mode on GeForce 6 and 7 GPUs.
* Fixed interlaced modes on GeForce 8 GPUs.
* Fixed a problem that caused the synchronization signal polarity to always be positive for DVI devices on GeForce 8 and 9 GPUs.
* Resolved a problem resulting in X startup to fail on some GeForce 8 and 9 systems without swap space.
* Fixed a bug resulting in X crashes when using GeForce 8 and 9 GPUs in SLI to drive X screens at depth 8.
* Fixed a problem that caused TV output on secondary TVs to be black and white on some GPUs.
* Restored compatibility with recent Linux 2.6 kernels.

The 173.14.05 NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Graphics Driver Set for Linux/x86 is available for download via HTTP and FTP.
The 173.14.05 NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Graphics Driver Set for Linux/x86-64 is available for download via HTTP and FTP.

Please see the README (x86, x86-64) for more information about this release.

Please note: This NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release supports GeForceFX and newer NVIDIA GPUs, GeForce4 and older GPUs are supported through the 96.43.xx and 71.86.xx NVIDIA legacy graphics drivers.

Please also note: If you encounter any problems with the 173.14.05 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release, please start a new thread and include a detailed description of the problem, reproduction steps and generate/attach an nvidia-bug-report.log file (please see *www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678 for details).

Source

For fedora, install livna & command "yum install kmod-nvidia". Njoy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom