Fedora 8/Windows XP Download Speed ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeNukem

Come get Some
Hi there Guys,

Facing this Strange Problem
Iam using My pc For Fedora8 and WindowsXPSP2

When using internet (256KBps Connection)

------------------ AFTER 2300 HRs (thats when I reach Home after Office)
Case Windows XPSP2 >> Download Speed 28KBps-37KBps
Case Fedora8 >> Download Speed 169KBps-220KBps

and this scenario is permanent.

Ive checked downloading same file in both OS Multiple times
Windows >> Minutes
Fedora8 >> Seconds

Can some one tell me whats eating my Bandwidth In Windows.
Help

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well if you need windows specific answer Open Source isn't the best place to ask.
Some options to check
1) Run a firewall and monitor what connections happen.
2) If you know about networking well enough and have a second PC, you can keep that as a gateway and check the incoming and outgoing requests to see where it's using up bandwidth.

F

FilledVoid

Not that it would cause such a huge difference but theres a tweak somewhere which removes reserved bandwidth beign saved in fact I think it is also on this forum somewhere as a tutorial might want to check that also.

x3060

A LOTR fan
now, thats quiet a lot of speed difference in there....i wonder how exactly is it possible to have this much diff in speed...

ray|raven

Think Zen.
When using internet (256KBps Connection)

------------------ AFTER 2300 HRs (thats when I reach Home after Office)
Case Windows XPSP2 >> Download Speed 28KBps-37KBps
Case Fedora8 >> Download Speed 169KBps-220KBps

Are you sure these are KBps?
And your connection, is it really 256 KBps or 256Kbps?
Remember 1KBps = 8 Kbps.
That might be the difference.

Regards,
ray

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Yup, even faced the same situation.
DL speed in ubuntu: 200 KBps :)
DL speed in Windows: 20 KBps :(
So, I fired up Comodo firewall in Windows, Blocked every app [I mean every single app.] from accessing the net except my browser and DLed the same file which gave me 200 KBps in ubuntu and gues what.??I got a far better DL speed of 120-130 KBps instantly.!Dunno where the remaining 70-odd gets eaten up.Maybe because the file transferring process is better managed in Ubuntu than in XP.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
No I don't think that's the problem. There can be differences in networking stack but this seems too humongous. Still there can be some factors.
What are you using to d/l in ubuntu and windows?

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
No I don't think that's the problem. There can be differences in networking stack but this seems too humongous. Still there can be some factors.
What are you using to d/l in ubuntu and windows?
For ubuntu, it's opera's default DL manager and for windows I have tried Opera and FDM.

anyway, who cares? luckily, ubuntu being better suited for loooong use without restarting compared to windows, and less prone to malware and viruses, its a better bet to let ubuntu do the night time downloading.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
lol I face exact opposite.

Ubuntu = 40-50 KBps

Windows = 120-140 KBps :D

Not bothered though. Only big files I download are related to games and **** and I use windows only for it.

F

FilledVoid

Ubuntu = 40-50 KBps

Wow thats bad :( . I'm not sure why but is it possible that the things you download all come from a congested server? Don't think IPv6 would cause slow downloading speeds either :/ . Are you slow when you download updates and install packages also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom