Fedora 7 vs Ubuntu 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
QwertyManiac said:
The only thing I can say is Apt acts a bit faster than Yum in processing tasks. Apart from that both are Linux, same wholly.
Yups , APT is the best ever package manager i've ever ever used .

It's the deciding factor .

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah.. apt has been a debian strongpoint since long. but its good to see that yum and yast2 are catching up. there were days when package management was a headache in red hat......

i believe apt is the best package management tool across any platform and os!

praka123

left this forum longback
Now dont u ppl know RPM distro walle are researching on rpm to make it more powerful and friendly as apt+dpkg as in Debian :)
RPM development on the road to revival
*www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/02/16/070252
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=455189
^ nice discussion there reg rpm distros

praka123

left this forum longback
infra_red_dude said:
i think everyone should accept one standard, either deb or rpm. it'll be helpful for the users too.
No chance in FOSS World!let all survive!but for sure source is what is common to all :D
As u know there are many new ideas came like conary,autopackage(win installshield like) but ppl are satisfied with what they are using or are they really?1

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
whatever packaging tool we adopt hardly matters. RPM can be converted to DEB(via alien) and DEB TO RPM (by one method which I dont remember)

though this is not a sure shot method to make softwares work, it can prove useful for some select softwares.

I like Ubuntu's ease of use and Fedora's customisability. Both rule in my opinion.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
saurabh.sauron said:
whatever packaging tool we adopt hardly matters. RPM can be converted to DEB(via alien) and DEB TO RPM (by one method which I dont remember)
Not a nice idea. And the package manager does matter, people get used to the way of working of the package manager and it's features. One example I remember being discussed in a mailing list was that rpm uses best effort method, so when you upgrade your old files are already gone and if new files fail to install your system is in inconsistent state. Whereas deb's rather install the upgrade first and if it fails then revert back.
Here, go through this thread *www.mail-archive.com/linuxers@mm.glug-bom.org/msg08461.html.

Last edited:

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
I think Ubuntu 7.04 is the best destro. I m currently using it. And it is very user friendly and faster than any other. Obviously it is not more advanced like SUSE or other. It is for new linux user like me.

And guys whats your opinion about Gentoo 2007. I didn't used it. I want to use it once.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Let me post my opinion -

Ubuntu is always a better option for a newbie.

Fedora is good for geeks (?) hmmm....

& SuSE ROCKS !!!!!!!!!! Everything u get in SuSE like nice looking interface, easy & .......

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If you find suse advanced, you will find gentoo as something out of bounds. Don't go for gentoo unless you want to learn more and are willing to spend time on reading docuemnts, gentoo has the best documents I have ever seen of any distro, and for compiling everything from source.

praka123

left this forum longback
bhushan05d251 said:
I think Ubuntu 7.04 is the best destro. I m currently using it. And it is very user friendly and faster than any other. Obviously it is not more advanced like SUSE or other. It is for new linux user like me.

And guys whats your opinion about Gentoo 2007. I didn't used it. I want to use it once.
arguably Ubuntu is much more advanced.many new projects are started by Ubuntu itself.for eg: Upstart replacing sysveeinit.
novell suse offers more eyecandy and installs all those packages by default/

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
praka123 said:
arguably Ubuntu is much more advanced.many new projects are started by Ubuntu itself.for eg: Upstart replacing sysveeinit.

Sorry...
My meaning was Ubuntu is very user friendly. That's it.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
praka123 said:

Well, you have an option to chose what to install. By default, yes it installs the default packages, not the entire list.

Infact, for me, I was wondering what Ubuntu had in it's mind when I started installing and never saw software selection screen.

It's a matter of personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom