FC4 hangs while initialising a module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I want to install the Paragon NTFS software for my FC4 installation to gain acess to my NTFS partition. I have followed all the procedure according to the documentation provided. But when I have to initialize the module by the command:

Code:
[localhost@Desmond /]#insmod ufsd.ko

It simply hangs. Any solution?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Desmond, what documentation you are following?? Better follow Stanton Finley's Fedora 4 Notes. Click here
I don't understand why you guys are bent on NTFS? Convert one Windows partition
to FAT32. It will work without any problems. Also you don't need to install any special
software to access Windows partiton, if it's FAT32.

mediator

Technomancer
Yea there are many problems I faced with NTFS like "disk not being accessible" something like that and more.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have only two partitions:Windows NTFS partition and Linux ext2 partition. I need to access my files in the NTFS partition.

@JGuru, My modem is not supported by FC4, so I cannot download the rpm package. Can you give me another alternative?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well try ntfs-3g, which seems to work fine for many people.
And I have used ntfs-static in the past, but it gave very slow speeds.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Desmond, What is your modem brand? It's a dial-up or ADSL USB modem?
Fedora doesn't support NTFS!! But there are work arounds available. You can do
one thing resize the NTFS partition & create another FAT32 partition. You can access
FAT32 partition in Fedora without any problems.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
JGuru said:
@Desmond, what documentation you are following?? Better follow Stanton Finley's Fedora 4 Notes. Click here
I don't understand why you guys are bent on NTFS? Convert one Windows partition
to FAT32. It will work without any problems. Also you don't need to install any special
software to access Windows partiton, if it's FAT32.
b'cos NTFS is certainlty better than fat32
here is tut on this
*sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=23836054&forum_id=2697

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My modem is a Connexant 56K Data/Fax/Voice under the name D-Link (Dial Up). I cannot create a FAT32 partition because my dad wil not allow it.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
I have worked with RedHat Linux 7.2 ( few years back) & it detected my D-Link modem. After a few
configurations were done, I was able to connect to the Net. So D-Link should work
with Fedora Linux. Open the Terminal WIndow , login as root & type:

$ su -
(Enter root password)
# kudzu -p -b serial

Post the output of this command.

Last edited:

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
if u r on fedora core 4 than my suggestion is either upgrade ur os to fc5 or 6 or switch to other distro like ubuntu.
fc4 has lots of problem.

as long as accessing ntfs partition is concern than download latest version of kernel compile it and install it u will be able to access ntfs partition without any problem.

ps: i never got access to ntfs on fc4 i tried every thing from installing ntfs-3g to linux ntfs . but none of the software worked for me :( i think compiling linux kernel is best sollution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom