Favorite Portable Applications !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hi Guys!

Portable applications is today's demand and a hell lot of websites are offering these kinds of software. The problem is in choosing the best out of the lot.

So, post in your favorite portable applications and if possible, a line or two about the software along with its download link.

Here are a few of my favorite...

7Zip
You can take your file archiver with you and work with your compressed 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, RAR files and more on the go. You can place it on your USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive or a CD and use it on any computer, without leaving any personal information behind.

Eraser Portable
Eraser Portable is a secure data removal tool that runs directly from your iPod, USB thumbdrive, portable hard drive or any other portable media. You can plug it right into any Windows computer and use it just like you would on your own.

VLC Media Player Portable
You can take your audio and video files along with everything you need to play them on the go. You can place it on your USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive or a CD and use it on any computer, without leaving any personal information behind.

Mozilla Firefox Portable Edition 3 Beta 2
Mozilla Firefox is a fast, full-featured web browser that's easy to use. It has lots of great features including popup-blocking, tabbed-browsing, integrated search, improved privacy features, automatic updating and more. Plus, thanks to the PortableApps.com launcher bundled in the Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition, it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on, so you can take your favorite browser along with all your favorite bookmarks and extensions with you wherever you go.

Mozilla Thunderbird Portable
Mozilla Thunderbird is the safe, fast email client that's easy to use. It has lots of great features including quick message search, customizable views, support for IMAP/POP, RSS support and more. Plus, the portable version leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on, so you can take your email and adress book with you wherever you go.

Pidgin Portable
Pidgin Portable is a multi-protocol instant messaging client that works with AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo! and more. You can log into multiple networks all with the same program. All your IM settings and buddy lists are self-contained, so it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on.

Filezilla Portable
FileZilla is a fast and reliable FTP client with lots of handy features. It supports resume on both downloads and uploads, timeout detection, firewall support, SOCKS4/5 and HTTP1.1 support, SSL, SFTP and more, all with an intuitive drag and drop interface.

Onscreen Keyboard Portable
On-Screen Keyboard Portable is a handy way to bring your settings for the Windows' built-in On-Screen Keyboard with you from PC to PC. It will remember your hover preferences and other options and provides an easy way to launch it right from the PortableApps.com Menu.

Notepad++ Portable
Notepad++ Portable is the handy Notepad++ text editor packaged as a portable app so you can do your development on the go. It has all the same great features of Notepad++ including support for multiple languages and an extensive plugin system, but there's nothing to install.

VLC Media Player Portable
VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, XviD, WMV, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

*portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portableOpenOffice.org Portable
OpenOffice.org Portable is a full-featured office suite that's compatible with Microsoft Office, Word Perfect, Lotus and other office applications. It's easy-to-use and feature-rich, performing nearly all of the functions you'd expect in an office suite, but at no cost.

uTorrent
Most of the features present in other BitTorrent clients are present in µTorrent, including bandwidth prioritization, scheduling, RSS auto-downloading and Mainline DHT (compatible with BitComet). Additionally, µTorrent supports the Protocol Encryption joint specification (compatible with Azureus 2.4.0.0 and above, BitComet 0.63 and above) and peer exchange.

Keep adding...

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Foxit Reader Pro
Foxit Reader is a free PDF document viewer and printer, with incredible small size (only 2.1 M download size), breezing-fast launch speed and rich feature set. Foxit Reader supports Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003/Vista. Its core function is compatible with PDF Standard 1.7

CPU-Z
CPU-Z is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system.

TrueCrypt
Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows Vista/XP/2000 and Linux.

IrfanView
IrfanView is a freeware image viewer for Microsoft Windows that can view, edit, and convert image files and play video/audio formats. It does not have extensive image creation and painting capabilities like Adobe Photoshop or GNU's GIMP. Rather, IrfanView is designed to be a lightweight viewer/player which is noted for its speed, ease of use, and ability to handle a wide variety of graphic file formats.

Last edited:

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
CCleaner, Recuva, Defraggler from Piriform.
Clamwin Anti Virus.
Many more, not striking my mind right now.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Opera Portable, GIMP Portable, Converter, Abiword, Bad CD/DVD Reader, HiJackThis!, Dictionary, Resource Hacker, Truecrypt, SIW....

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Any good antivirus other than Ccleaner... Ccleaner doesnt have a real time protection... Is there a portable from KAV or Nod32...

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
There are already threads running for the same thing: ;)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30860&highlight=
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45440&highlight=

and btw why this thread was started in QnA section?

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Sorry about the section... Did that by mistake... As for the already running threads, I did search for it and because I couldn't find any, I thought of starting one... Anyways, thanks for the links...

BTW, I was Adobe Photoshop 8 in your list. Are you sure theres a portable version of it. If it works by copying the folder to your pen drive, first of all, it becomes illegal and secondly by no means Photoshop 8 is PORTABLE...

V

vaibhavtek

as this thread already exist so need of it.
Reported

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
there is a portable version of photoshop CS 2 also i think (im using 8) .... search the net there are tricks to make photoshop portable

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
BTW, I was Adobe Photoshop 8 in your list. Are you sure theres a portable version of it. If it works by copying the folder to your pen drive, first of all, it becomes illegal and secondly by no means Photoshop 8 is PORTABLE...
If we copy Photoshop to our pen drive, how will it become ILLEGAL? Pls clear it.

There is an absolutely LEGAL method to make a portable version of Adobe Photoshop.

V

vaibhavtek

If we copy Photoshop to our pen drive, how will it become ILLEGAL? Pls clear it.

There is an absolutely LEGAL method to make a portable version of Adobe Photoshop.

correct Vishal Gupta. *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/40a.gif

slugger

Banned
sumthin dat i use and find extremely useful

RegSeeker 1.55

BTW @go4saket
did u mean clamwin instead of ccleaner, 'cause AFAIK ccleaner has got no AV component in it

PraKs

Youngling
Guys

Why not directly share sites only ??

Here are few from my side

portableapps.com
portablefreeware.com
kikizas.net/en/usbapps.html

Share more..

Kniwor

Learner
There are already threads running for the same thing: ;)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30860&highlight=
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45440&highlight=

and btw why this thread was started in QnA section?

The related threads are about an year old or more.... I guess we can have the discussion again...

Your concern for the forum rules etc.. is much appreciated, we would appreciate it even more if you could just report the post and state the reason therein instead of posting in the thread and cluttering it even more...

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Thanks Kniwor!!!

@slugger: sorry, its actually calmwin and not ccleaner. So, any other AV software...

@Vishal: As per my knowledge, where in I may be wrong, we aren't allowed to copy a licensed software for the purpose of using it on other computers.

Anyways, these discussion aren't the base of this thread... So lets keep in to the topic... No offense...

V

vaibhavtek

^^ i need it.
i am trying and other user plz try.
specially Vishal Gupta *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/06a.gif

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I have no idea about portable outlook express, but you can use portable thunderbird:

*portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable

The related threads are about an year old or more.... I guess we can have the discussion again...

Your concern for the forum rules etc.. is much appreciated, we would appreciate it even more if you could just report the post and state the reason therein instead of posting in the thread and cluttering it even more...
I was just helping the OT to understand that such topics have already been discussed ion forum, so no need to start a new thread.

And regarding to reporting threads, I have left reporting since a few ppl didnt like it and I don't want to say any more.

@Vishal: As per my knowledge, where in I may be wrong, we aren't allowed to copy a licensed software for the purpose of using it on other computers.

Anyways, these discussion aren't the base of this thread... So lets keep in to the topic... No offense...
As far as you don't share the software with anyone else, its Legal. So you can copy it in your pen drives, CD drives, etc without any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom