Fan wire attached to molex got shot. Needed assistance!

Risspartan117

Broken In
Guys I really need your help!

I was installing a new ventilation fan in my new PC that I just assembled a week or so back. When I switched it on, there was a spark and white smoke came out from some part above the graphic card with a very strong burning-like odor. I immediately switched it off.
Upon inspection, I realized that the wire of the fan attached to the side panel had "exploded" and the insulation had melted off due to extra current. The small plug that gets attached to the motherboard (just above the graphic card) was not attached properly, but the wire which gets attached to the molex port was the one that fried. I'm not exactly sure why that (extra current, hence the shot) happened but it did and it really freaked me out. There are no burn marks on the motherboard and when I removed that side fan and booted the PC, it worked perfectly.

Now I'm not sure what exactly happened. The wire of the fan that was attached to the molex port got completely shot. Can anyone explain what, or why this happened? That plug to the mobo wasn't attached properly but in that case the fan just shouldn't have worked right? And is it safe to use those same molex ports for future fans/parts or not?

Guys please help me out! Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom