External HDD to Internal HDD and Viceversa

niravjadwani

Amatur Modder
Hi...

I want to expand my Laptop(Lenovo Y410) Harddisk size(Current is 120 GB). I am thinking, if this is possible?

1. Buy a External USB powered harddisk of 500 GB(or more).
2. Open that External Harddisk and use the Harddisk inside it for my Laptop internal storage.
3. Use my old internal harddisk by putting in the External Usb Harddisk case, from which Harddisk is removed.

My dobut is, Whether I will be able to use the extracted harddisk with my laptop? i.e. will it have same connector?

The reason for all this crap is because I am getting External disk of 500 GB size at approx 2500, while the same size internal harddisk is priced about Rs. 3200 or so. And I am price conscious.

Anyone with a view or experience, kindly share. Earlier I posted on a wrong fourm.

Tech&ME

Banned
^^

Never heard of anything like this! Wired Question????

1. I think the Original casing of the External HDD has only USB connector.

2. I don't know if you can really open apart the casing of External HDD and do what you intend to do.

God be with you! Almighty!!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Hi...

I want to expand my Laptop(Lenovo Y410) Harddisk size(Current is 120 GB). I am thinking, if this is possible?

1. Buy a External USB powered harddisk of 500 GB(or more).
2. Open that External Harddisk and use the Harddisk inside it for my Laptop internal storage.
3. Use my old internal harddisk by putting in the External Usb Harddisk case, from which Harddisk is removed.

My dobut is, Whether I will be able to use the extracted harddisk with my laptop? i.e. will it have same connector?

The reason for all this crap is because I am getting External disk of 500 GB size at approx 2500, while the same size internal harddisk is priced about Rs. 3200 or so. And I am price conscious.

Anyone with a view or experience, kindly share. Earlier I posted on a wrong fourm.

get a laptop HDD. it'll be costly but it is designed for use inside a laptop. external HDD is of different league. also the points maybe soldered to the casing.

so get a 500Gb laptop HDD & sell the old one.

saswat23

Human Spambot
yes, get a laptop hdd or use the external hdd with your lappy as an external disc only..
Don't try to do the wiered things you intend to do, else u will end doing nothing..

OP
N

niravjadwani

Amatur Modder
yes, get a laptop hdd or use the external hdd with your lappy as an external disc only..
Don't try to do the wiered things you intend to do, else u will end doing nothing..

Thanks for the reply...

It surely is a Weird thing. But that is how I learnt my basic hardware knowledge. By Experiments. So it is weird, but still do-able easliy if the internal Harddisk is having the same sata port.

And I have seen various HDD cases, which house standard laptop drive inside them to make them external usb drive. So thought if possible. And it is indeed possible if the connector is same.

Anyways, if anyone has opened their External HDD, pls let me know whether the HDD is having the sata ports, or are soldered to circuits.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for the reply...

It surely is a Weird thing. But that is how I learnt my basic hardware knowledge. By Experiments. So it is weird, but still do-able easliy if the internal Harddisk is having the same sata port.

And I have seen various HDD cases, which house standard laptop drive inside them to make them external usb drive. So thought if possible. And it is indeed possible if the connector is same.

Anyways, if anyone has opened their External HDD, pls let me know whether the HDD is having the sata ports, or are soldered to circuits.

See i have opened WD&Seagate External drives 160GB&250GB resp. both of them had normal SATA connections i.e i was able to connect them to the desktop with the sata power & data cable there is one more catch does ur laptop use the normal sata connector or a modified one i dont think it is worth taking a risk for 3K bucks
u should get a new drive form the manufacturer also i think if u open the Casing of the EXT. HDD warranty will void

suyash_123

Techno Freak
@niravjadwani :

I know ur new to Computer h/w things and want to experiment but don't be so freak!!!

Listen 1st thing..
By opening External hdd u will not get any thing like u can put that in Laptop. Means Design of external Hdd is totally different , then the design of the disk put in a Laptop. (means size and shape and volume too)

there Nothing Like if u open External HDD u will get inner HDd as outer part as shell, whole Body is Interacted with Circuits and Wires.

HDD is Most sensitive thing, 1st its Platters and Chip are most susceptible to Static discharge....

2nd the parts inside are so delicate and small that if any thing u do with small pressure or force u r gone man..

i tried with My OLD 20Gb pata Hdd and studied it completely but never make it work again :(

OP
N

niravjadwani

Amatur Modder
See i have opened WD&Seagate External drives 160GB&250GB resp. both of them had normal SATA connections i.e i was able to connect them to the desktop with the sata power & data cable there is one more catch does ur laptop use the normal sata connector or a modified one i dont think it is worth taking a risk for 3K bucks
u should get a new drive form the manufacturer also i think if u open the Casing of the EXT. HDD warranty will void

Hi Mithun...

THanks for the reply. Just wanted to know, you opened 2.5" External drive or 3.5" ones, like the ones in out Desktops?

And I am aware of warranty issue. But this is a part of experimentation, and I have not encountered any harddisk failures till now, so not much worried about the same.

To be frank, Cost is also not the issue. Its the excitement of tearing a new hardware and still make it work, that counts..:))

Dear Suyash_123...

Thanks for putting remark in a jiffy....

If you have read my nick name, you would not have called me "new to Computer h/w things and want to experiment" or u haven't heard the term "Modder".

I have been messing with computers both soft side and hard side when 386 pcs were the rage. I was lucky to have one at that time.

Then I assembled my Celeron, from scratch.(Many Thanks to Digit, then CHip). Then I started experimenting on a Pentium 1 lying idle at office. I repaired many pcs of my friends in College, mostly Pentium 3 or Celeron.

Then I Assembled my current system, AMD athlon x2, under Rs. 12,000(4 years back.) Still working like tick tick. People drop their jaws when they see my wire clutter less system from the Fibre side panel, lit with LEDS for clearer view.

My Lenovo laptop is also not spared!

And you also got the question wrong. I am not wanting to open HARDDISK, but CASE that holds 2.5" harddisk.

Just making myself clear. No intention to disrespect you.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Yes you can open up an external HDD and swap the HDDs. Check videos on Youtube.

However If I were you, I would get WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB SATA Laptop Hard Drives ( WD5000BPVT).

Top Bottom