Ext HDD Problem

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
Guys Help..:-(
My PC just cant read my 1TB WD ext HDD.
since yesterday, the msg comes, "USB device not recognised"
its nearly 3 yr old, & I always used to keep it connected 24x7x365
occasionally it detects, but still then I cant access all folders, some seen empty.
once I opened a movie, a msg came, "bad sectors detected" in vlc
but in my 2-3 friends laptops, it works fine, no issues on any usb port.
so wheres the problem?
do I say bye to my 800gb data or backup it early?:cry:
or its the wire problem:unsure:
or its the problem of USB slots of PC (4 behind, 2 front) (7yr old PC) ???
but other things work fine on them (mobile, mouse, router, printer, PD etc)

Connect it in your friend's laptop and run Crystal DiskInfo and note the bad sector count. Also post a screenshot of the tool.

Lincon_WD

WD Official
Hi Pratik Pawar,

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I'd like to try and help. As per Your notes, it may be a hardware issue. For the confirmation if it’s a hardware cause or not, I’d suggest you some troubleshooting step.

1) Try to connect with different USB ports with same computer.
2) Try to connect with other computer.
3) Change the USB cable (USB 3.0).

Please run the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics in your system, it may help you to find and fix the issue.

Please refer to the link below for the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics:

Support Answers

If the problem still persists, continue to post here.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
that same movie ran smoothly on my friends laptop :p:-?

do what [MENTION=140941]harshilsharma63[/MENTION] has suggested. Anyway, I think it's some sort of issue with your pcs usb port or driver. Also use a different data cable for the HDD ie the one that works fine on your friends laptops.

OP
Pratik Pawar

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
Hi Pratik Pawar,

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I'd like to try and help. As per Your notes, it may be a hardware issue. For the confirmation if it’s a hardware cause or not, I’d suggest you some troubleshooting step.

1) Try to connect with different USB ports with same computer.
2) Try to connect with other computer.
3) Change the USB cable (USB 3.0).

Please run the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics in your system, it may help you to find and fix the issue.

Please refer to the link below for Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics:

Support Answers

If the problem still persists, continue to post here.

1. I connected on diff ports on my own PC, mostly got device not recognised.
2. On my friends Laptops, on all ports it connected & ran smoothly.
3. still to try.
4. Ran the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool, the quick test is failing every time (connected in front panel USB), but SMART status showing pass, few hours later again I ran it(connected in back panel USB)this time, it passed successfully.

- - - Updated - - -

Connect it in your friend's laptop and run Crystal DiskInfo and note the bad sector count. Also post a screenshot of the tool.

cant post screenshot

- - - Updated - - -

I cant upload any pics, attachments here on the site , where do I complain..?? even when I follow the specs for it.. dimensions, size etc

Last edited:
1. I connected on diff ports on my own PC, mostly got device not recognised.
2. On my friends Laptops, on all ports it connected & ran smoothly.
3. still to try.
4. Ran the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool, the quick test is failing every time (connected in front panel USB), but SMART status showing pass, few hours later again I ran it(connected in back panel USB)this time, it passed successfully.

- - - Updated - - -

cant post screenshot

- - - Updated - - -

I cant upload any pics, attachments here on the site , where do I complain..?? even when I follow the specs for it.. dimensions, size etc

Upload your pic on Imgur and post link here.

OP
Pratik Pawar

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
here is the link..

HDD Problems - Album on Imgur

- - - Updated - - -

here is the link..

*imgur.com/a/vPqJi

OP
Pratik Pawar

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
but then, in the Crystal Disk Info, the health status is in "caution" & some C5 Current pending sector count is in yellow.. Y dat? :\

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
there is a problem with 1 sector that hasn't been reallocated yet. Usually this remapping / reallocating is done automatically but sometime there's exceptions like this. However you can try to do it manually [ backup first ] buy deleting all partitions, zero fill the HDD and perform a long format. This may force the HDD to reallocate the sector but crystal disk may still show drive status as Caution.

Anyway, don't think too much about it because 1 or 2 bad sectors does not mean your HDD is bad or going to be bad pretty soon. If the bad sector / reallocated sector count keeps incresing every day only then you need to worry.

OP
Pratik Pawar

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
there is a problem with 1 sector that hasn't been reallocated yet. Usually this remapping / reallocating is done automatically but sometime there's exceptions like this. However you can try to do it manually [ backup first ] buy deleting all partitions, zero fill the HDD and perform a long format. This may force the HDD to reallocate the sector but crystal disk may still show drive status as Caution.

Anyway, don't think too much about it because 1 or 2 bad sectors does not mean your HDD is bad or going to be bad pretty soon. If the bad sector / reallocated sector count keeps incresing every day only then you need to worry.

ohh thanks:thumbs:
I think the problem is with the USB connections of my PC, back 4 are 4 years old (had replaced my motherboard)
front 2 are 7 yrs old (as old as my pc obv :p)
sometimes this problem occurs (as told in the beginning of this thread) sometimes the HDD works perfectly fine :p

Top Bottom