explorer crashes frequently

sujeet2555

In the zone
i have window 7 32bit .i have many different types of files in folders.so ,i keep arrange them as;sort by name & group by type and view as " list".therefore by horizontal scroll bar gets very long.
i often get explorer non responding while scrolling horizontally.when explorer window freezes i get vertical scroll bar along with horizontal scroll bar.normally in list view i don't get vertical scroll bar.closing that explorer window closes all other open explorer window.please help me in solving it.
also is there any software to remember open explorer window and their respective size & position,so that i can open them in one click?

OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
virus or corrupted explorer.

nope ,it is happening since the fresh install of window7.i just asked the question when i fed up with problem.i have the habit of regular scanning of my pc with different scanners.i scanned my pc with ;comodo anti virus,malwarebyte, spybot ,window defender,iobit antispyware, prevx ,a-squared ,dr web etc .my pc is clean.

it just mainly due to large no of files,or long names of files.so that i have to scroll horizontally (only left to right,not right to left scrolling) and explorer get not responding.also i can reproduce the very same freezing problem with same folder.if i shorten the name or remove files ,it doesn't freezes.
the very same folder freezes even while maximizing also.
how can i stop other window from closing even though i have checked run in seperate process?

gameranand

Living to Play
sujeet2555 said:
nope ,it is happening since the fresh install of window7.i just asked the question when i fed up with problem.i have the habit of regular scanning of my pc with different scanners.i scanned my pc with ;comodo anti virus,malwarebyte, spybot ,window defender,iobit antispyware, prevx ,a-squared ,dr web etc .my pc is clean.

it just mainly due to large no of files,or long names of files.so that i have to scroll horizontally (only left to right,not right to left scrolling) and explorer get not responding.also i can reproduce the very same freezing problem with same folder.if i shorten the name or remove files ,it doesn't freezes.
the very same folder freezes even while maximizing also.
how can i stop other window from closing even though i have checked run in seperate process?
How many contents are there in your folder???

OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
this problem occurs in many folders,not specific folders only.problem is not due to large no. of files (it doesn't crashes even when there are 5000 files in a single folder),its different types of files residing in the same folder and long names of files like saved web-pages html .this problem occurs due to the arrangement as said above.i.e. group by and list view.if i change them to other view ,so that i don't have a horizontal bar,i don't get a problem anymore.
but i want to use list view as it is easier to sort files.does it also mean 2gb ram is not enough?
also stress on the problem ;how to stop other window also with non responding window and is there any software to remember position and size as said before ? .if the main problem is not resolvable,i will be OK to get solution for the last two problems and just avoid the situations in which explorer freezes.

gameranand

Living to Play
sujeet2555 said:
i will be OK to get solution for the last two problems and just avoid the situations in which explorer freezes.
Actually the thing is that all explorer windows runs under 1 process so if any of them crashes then whole process crashes so the only solution for all problems is finding solution for your first problem.

sygeek

Technomancer
1. Have you recently replaced the explorer with an alternative? (Doesn't matter if you've reverted again to the original explorer)
2. Please check if you have a corrupted disc in your CD Drive, if so, then please remove it.
3. Try opening those specific folders with xplorer2 and see if the same problem persists.

Download HiJackThis, and please send the report here.

OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
1. Have you recently replaced the explorer with an alternative? (Doesn't matter if you've reverted again to the original explorer)
2. Please check if you have a corrupted disc in your CD Drive, if so, then please remove it.
3. Try opening those specific folders with xplorer2 and see if the same problem persists.

Download HiJackThis, and please send the report here.

i once changed the start orb with w7soldr but i reverted back from it.but after i manually close explorer.exe and start again start button again changes to the old orb(replaced one).

and here is the log
log

Last edited:

sygeek

Technomancer
  1. Do you have the latest version of that software, if not, please download the latest version and then uninstall.
  2. Restart the system in safe mode and see if the problem persists. Report me back with the result.

OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
I have the latest version but it crashes while changing so,i restored the original orb.this is the software that i have used from
Win7 Start Orb Loader v1.1.1 by ~stkov on deviantART
but it says "Change your start orb WITHOUT changing explorer.exe. This prevents unnecessary UAC prompts."
i get the original when i restarts but it changes when i manually restart explorer.exe.
also why is there two instances of explorer.exe.

sygeek

Technomancer
Restart the system in safe mode and see if the problem persists. Report me back with the result.

OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
Will report back ,if a problematic folder is found as i have resolved most folders by changing names,reducing contents within a single directory .

rawgeek

Broken In
It can be an issue with Windows Search service trying to index files with large names.You can stop/disable the service for a while.You need to goto services.msc and look for Windows Search service.
Also what are the events that come up when the issue occurs?You can get them through cmd->eventvwr->custom views->administrative events.

OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
It can be an issue with Windows Search service trying to index files with large names.You can stop/disable the service for a while.You need to goto services.msc and look for Windows Search service.
Also what are the events that come up when the issue occurs?You can get them through cmd->eventvwr->custom views->administrative events.

window search is already disabled.

OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
sorry,but haven't got error till now.but is there any software to remember open explorer window and their respective size & position,so that i can open them in one click?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Try a online antivirus scan or any free AV-
Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus

or

HouseCall - Free Online Virus Scan - Trend Micro USA

ALso do the regular maintaneence-
Defragment
Disk Cleanup
Registry Clean

Last edited:
OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
Try a online antivirus scan or any free AV-
Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus

or

HouseCall - Free Online Virus Scan - Trend Micro USA

ALso do the regular maintaneence-
Defragment
Disk Cleanup
Registry Clean

i have used online prevx scanner already.
i already said that i regularly do scanning,defragment,disk checkup,cleanup and registry cleanup.[scanning using-different scanner already said,defragmenting with O&O Defrag,file and registry cleaning with win7 manager]

and tillnow i haven't got a crash.

vamsi360

Always confused
I think it's not an AV problem but something to do with Folder settings. Disable "Show Thumbnails in explorer" option and change other folder options to check if it works. That should solve the problem.

Top Bottom