Excitel Broadband - Comprehensive Review - 5Mbps - SDSL - Unlimited - no FUP

Kaltrops

In the zone
Oh yeah, I can understand that, lol. A friend of mine lives in Mumbai and uses "7 Star" or something as his ISP and he says that's the only option apart from Hathway in his locality ... He doesn't wish to choose Hathway due to the FUP they implement and he's not happy with this "7 Star" ISP. Understandably, he got annoyed when I showed him a screenshot of my speed test result during a Steam chat conversation. :)

Yeah, sadly, I'm stuck with Hathway until more affordable broadband at these speeds come my way.

Luckily for me though, their data caps are soft capped. So I can usually milk an extra 20gigs or so every month. So it ain't too bad :)

Use Spectranet..

Thank you for that. Though support and service in my area is a no-go at the moment. They do have me on file now so that's something, I suppose.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Yet another idiot, wannabe smart-ass shows up; why am I not surprised. Are all people around here like ...

"OMG a good review about an ISP and speaks good inglis OMG OMG PAID POSTER, ISP EMPLOYEEEEE!".

Come back when you've grown your brain a bit further and your IQ increases beyond room temperature, then we'll talk.

Oh yeah, I can understand that, lol. A friend of mine lives in Mumbai and uses "7 Star" or something as his ISP and he says that's the only option apart from Hathway in his locality ... He doesn't wish to choose Hathway due to the FUP they implement and he's not happy with this "7 Star" ISP. Understandably, he got annoyed when I showed him a screenshot of my speed test result during a Steam chat conversation. :)

Boy o boy.. apparently one who thinks he is intelligent .. IS intelligent irrespective of what people think about him. So is the case with you.

And I told ya, he comes with a good experience with forums.. even uses steam..

They found a good employee :)

OP
StickySlime

StickySlime

Broken In
And I told ya, he comes with a good experience with forums.. even uses steam..
They found a good employee :)

lol, keep this up, no really, since even if we go by your logic and accept for a minute that I'm an "employee" and not a regular user, you're bumping this thread again and again with your spam, bringing more attention and eyeballs to this thread, thereby benefiting Excitel yourself. I'll get some popcorn for future instances wherein I'd be reading your replies. :p

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
lol, keep this up, no really, since even if we go by your logic and accept for a minute that I'm an "employee" and not a regular user, you're bumping this thread again and again with your spam, bringing more attention and eyeballs to this thread, thereby benefiting Excitel yourself. I'll get some popcorn for future instances wherein I'd be reading your replies. :p

MRW when I see such arguments.

*www.reactiongifs.com/r/dgbg.gif

hari1

In the zone
Any Excitel user in Satya Niketan, New Delhi?
I just saw their pamphlet there and need to know if they will really refund our money if we don't like it in one month.
Any experience with that?

OP
StickySlime

StickySlime

Broken In
Hi,

Its been a whole month (Feb) since I've been using Excitel. Things have been great so far. Compare the data transferred between the months of January and February (Jan = MTNL, Feb = Excitel):

2016-03-04_16-35-57.png

Furthermore, there are a couple of other things worth mentioning about Excitel's internet, that I just recently figured out. First of all, be aware of the fact that with Excitel, you will be "Double NAT'd". For those of you who have no idea what that is, allow me to explain.

Normally, when you get an internet connection from an ISP, you connect your computer to a router and the router connects to the WAN IP provided by the ISP. So, essentially, your router gets the public IP of your internet connection directly from the ISP. This involves just a single NAT, which is that of your router and this is the most commonly found orientation as far as broadband internet is concerned.

However, double NAT is a completely different ball game. Fortunately or unfortunately, Excitel uses double NAT. In this orientation, your computer is connected to your router. However, on the router, instead of receiving the public IP address directly as the WAN IP, you will instead receive a private IP address. So basically the connection has two middle-men instead of just one. Your computer sends a message to your router, which in-turn sends the message to the second NAT (ISP end) WAN IP and this ISP end gateway / 2nd NAT forwards the message to the outer world, i.e. the internet.

Now, as far as advantages are concerned, you get super fast torrent downloads thanks to local peer connectivity, which I believe, is dependent upon the second NAT discussed previously. The disadvantage, however, is the fact that anyone on the outside (from the internet) will NEVER be able to contact your computer directly. This is terrible for IP cameras, games that require port forwarding, torrents (they need ports forwarded to be able to accept incoming connections) etc. Basically anything that requires connections from outside to be received on your computer WILL NOT work out of the box.

As a solution, Excitel offers a static IP upon request. You will require to pay Rs. 1100/- per YEAR for this. I'm not sure if this will have any impact on the local peer connectivity / torbox / augmented speeds, but I don't think those things should be affected by this.

Below, I'm including a screenshot of a torrent running via augmented speeds. Its downloading at 3.09 MB/s (24.72 Mbps) while I'm on a 5 Mbps connection. :)

*i.imgur.com/5POupW1.png

However, as you can see, although I have downloaded the entire torrent at insane speeds which are 5 times faster than the connection speed I'm paying for, I will NOT be able to connect to any peers that are trying to connect to me and thus, I will NOT be able to SEED torrents back in the most optimal way. Be advised, seeding can still be done and it works, just not to the maximum amount that you could possibly do, in a single NAT environment.

I'd reckon this would be hated by those of you who use PRIVATE trackers, such as me. Your ratio is going to be hit, lol. However, the static IP does really seem like a good option, since it guarantees that everything will work perfectly and seamlessly.

I just saw their pamphlet there and need to know if they will really refund our money if we don't like it in one month.

Hi,

Well, Excitel currently doesn't have any way by which you could pay online. Moreover, its a prepaid connection and not postpaid. Therefore, if you use its services for a month, but dont wish to continue further, you can refuse to pay for the next month and your connection would be assumed disconnected and would be subject to a re-activation fee.

However, as far as the money back for the first month is concerned, I have no credible information on it. Have you tried calling on the number stamped onto the pamphlet you received with your query? In case there's no "stamped" number on the pamphlet you received, check the pamphlet I received from the first post of this thread and contact the number stamped on that, instead. That would be your best shot. They should have some sort of answer about what happens in such a situation, since that is what they seem to claim.

EDIT:
Bonus Video (Time-Lapse): Sendvid - Instant video uploa
Downloading a torrent at night (non speed augmented, so should be getting 630 KB/s, but getting 1 MB/s at night)

Last edited:

indiagenx

Right off the assembly line

Did you start using it in Satya Niketan. I am looking to get it installed in a couple of days. In fact, have already submitted the docs.

Let me know the review in terms of speed and reliability.

OP
StickySlime

StickySlime

Broken In
Been a long time since I posted here. Everything going fine as far as Excitel is concerned. There was some downtime so far, but it was resolved ASAP since I have good, long-standing relations with the cable operator in my area (which, as I mentioned earlier, is very important when opting for such cable operator reliant ISPs).

Leaving these videos here, in case someone needs to see exactly how DailyMotion / Vimeo video streaming works on Excitel.
(5 Mbps actual - 20 Mbps augmented on YouTube/HotStar/TorBox.net)

Upload and Share Videos - Sendvi
Upload and Share Videos - Sendvi

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
Wanted to share about the ridiculous situation I'm in.

After months of searching for excitel provider in my area, finally got a pamphlet with phone number.

Called the guy and asked about availability. He said "sir we tried to put infra in your area but someone in your area(society head) is cutting out the wires we put in, we tried one year back and recently too"

Some background- I live in vikaspuri, and there is a politician lives in same society. His relative have TV connection/Internet service business in same area.
What they do is, cut the wires of Internet/dish/etc who tried to enter in the area.

I knew about the tv stuff but was dumb to not connect the same situation with Internet providers.

I was eagerly waiting for them to come to my area after reading this review. But
now I'm stuck with MTNL and only way to have a better isp is to move out of the area....
Goddammit!!!!!

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

mukul69

After months of searching for excitel provider in my area, finally got a pamphlet with phone number.

Called the guy and asked about availability. He said "sir we tried to put infra in your area but someone in your area(society head) is cutting out the wires we put in, we tried one year back and recently too"

Some background- I live in vikaspuri, and there is a politician lives in same society. His relative have TV connection/Internet service business in same area.
What they do is, cut the wires of Internet/dish/etc who tried to enter in the area.

I knew about the tv stuff but was dumb to not connect the same situation with Internet providers.

I was eagerly waiting for them to come to my area after reading this review. But
now I'm stuck with MTNL and only way to have a better isp is to move out of the area....
Goddammit!!!!!

Hi Zapout,
do you still have the pamphlet with you? can you please share the same or Excitel Rep. contact no.

Moreover rivalry between local operator is quite an old menace in vikas puri and Airtel is having quite an advantage due to this.I live near J-Block vikas puri and looking forward to have Excitel connection.

Thanks

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160722/bbc8d0e67a090fcdef7be8aa3725187f.jpg

Here you go.
Do tell about their service, once you get the connection.

hitesh

In the zone

Goddammit!!!!!

Can confirm this. Cousin lives in Vikaspuri, had the same experience - society people cutting up the wires and stuff

You should try to get Siti broadband though. 50mbps unlimited no fup for 900rs (+tax). Friend is using, keeps sending me download speed pics :angry_NF:

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
Whaaat.. I just got email response from siti.. They don't have service in vikaspuri.
Please ask your friend to give the contact number for citi.

mukul69

*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160722/bbc8d0e67a090fcdef7be8aa3725187f.jpg

Here you go.
Do tell about their service, once you get the connection.

Thanks Zapout.
I am using Airtel from quite some time and pretty happy with the reliability hence decided to gave in a shot to negotiate with Airtel and they happily obliged by upgrading my plan from 10GB+5GB (8Mbps) to 40GB(8Mbps) data plan without any change in rental.

however discount by Airtel is valid for approx. 6 months might go for Excitel package in near future.

Thanks !!

OP
StickySlime

StickySlime

Broken In
Everything going on great, had a minor period of service disruption, complained on 011-33138963 and the issue was resolved within a couple of hours.

Still enjoying binge watching YouTube videos at 1080p (and higher, if available) and downloading torrents too at 2.5 MB/s (20 Mbps) on the 5 Mbps connection. :D

Here's a screenshot of the status of torrent seeding. :D Seeding at over 500 KB/s on a 5 Mbps connection (630-640 KB/s max).
*i.imgur.com/e2wvIYY.png

Bonus ScreenShot: Downloading a torrent at 3.00 MB/s (24 Mbps) at night. Its amazing when you add a 53.5 GB torrent and you see a time remaining of 5 hours and 28 minutes. :D
*i.imgur.com/yMOo8yP.png
*i.imgur.com/40ZUP1d.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom