Excessive hibernation damages Hard Disk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Whether excessive hibernation in Windows XP damages the Hard Disk's plotter ?? My technician says so. How to stay secure ?

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
hard disk contineously read/write from cache memory , its even more extensive than hibernation , but still hdd work properly since ages , so i think it doesnt

sujoyp

Grand Master
I too dont think so...I use my lappy 5-6 times a month now.....so keep it in hybernation...no problem
and if u use it regularly just shut down or restart in 4-5 days so that if any system settings is pending it could be applied:)

Sarvesh

Journeyman
hard disk contineously read/write from cache memory , its even more extensive than hibernation , but still hdd work properly since ages , so i think it doesnt

Right there is no harm using it at all.

The process of hibernation saves complete image of memory (memory loaded in RAM) on the hard disk and shuts down the computer to save power; When you resume, the computer restarts and loads the stored memory image from the hard disk and restores the state of computer as it was before going into hibernation - means - what ever program was running or whatever opened file was halfway done will be available as they were left before hibernation.

Last edited:
OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Actually my technician told me that there is some problem with my hard disk, the plotter is making some noise (though very dim). According to him, on hibernation the plotter stops rotating with a great deceleration but on shutting down it stops with proper deceleration.

Hence, excessive hibernation has somewhat jammed my plotter with the thing which stops it. And because of this reason my SMPS is unable to take the load of my HDD.

For about 3 weeks now I've been rebooting my computer twice every time after removing the SMPS wire from the HDD and then reconnecting it and switching it on. If the computer has been switched off for long and I try to switch it on normally, the system goes off even before the booting beep.

Am I clear ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom