Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyBoy

In the zone
Take no offense, but I think South Indians have a tendency to go against Hindi.

See, actually we all are from different regions- like I'm from Kolkata and my mother tongue is Bengali. Similarly a person staying in Gujarat has Gujarati as his mother tongue. Notice that except for a few states like Delhi and Bihar no other state has Hindi as its mother tongue. But since we don't know each other's mother tongue(like I don't know Gujrati, a Gujrati doesn't know Bengali,etc), Hindi is the language which is common to us and which we use in communicating with each other. It makes us feel united and we feel we are under a single banner(which is very important since regional differences might arise), when there is huge diversity in India.

Take no offense, but I think South Indians have a tendency to go against Hindi.

See, actually we all are from different regions- like I'm from Kolkata and my mother tongue is Bengali. Similarly a person staying in Gujarat has Gujarati as his mother tongue. Notice that except for a few states like Delhi and Bihar no other state has Hindi as its mother tongue. But since we don't know each other's mother tongue(like I don't know Gujrati, a Gujrati doesn't know Bengali,etc), Hindi is the language which is common to us and which we use in communicating with each other. It makes us feel united and we feel we are under a single banner(which is very important since regional differences might arise), when there is huge diversity in India.
south Indians have a tendency to go against hindi ? mabe or mabe not, but it does not affect me, for I am neither a north Indian nor a South Indian. I was effectively raised during my growing period in both regions, and I am rather good at handling hindi. I just don't like any language, weather english, hindi, or any regional language, being called the national language and forcefully imposing it upon people.

And if I use your defination of hindi being a common language, you might as well say english, or even sanskrit for that matter, are common languages as everyone studies/knows them.

But the choice of english goes far beyond. With hindi, you restrict yourself to addressing a few crores of people in the world. But when english is mentioned, you can talk to quite a few billions of people in this world. Plus, its script is easy to use, especially because it lacks character modifiers and hence can be easily used on computers, typwriters and the like.

Unfortunately, the diversity bit is going a bit too far. We may end up like the USSR, which, having russian as the common language, but several regions with indivudual languages finally breaking apart to form russia, khazkistan, usbekistan, tajjikistan, turkmenistan, and the like.

GeekyBoy

In the zone
south Indians have a tendency to go against hindi ? mabe or mabe not, but it does not affect me, for I am neither a north Indian nor a South Indian. I was effectively raised during my growing period in both regions, and I am rather good at handling hindi. I just don't like any language, weather english, hindi, or any regional language, being called the national language and forcefully imposing it upon people.

And if I use your defination of hindi being a common language, you might as well say english, or even sanskrit for that matter, are common languages as everyone studies/knows them.

But the choice of english goes far beyond. With hindi, you restrict yourself to addressing a few crores of people in the world. But when english is mentioned, you can talk to quite a few billions of people in this world. Plus, its script is easy to use, especially because it lacks character modifiers and hence can be easily used on computers, typwriters and the like.

Unfortunately, the diversity bit is going a bit too far. We may end up like the USSR, which, having russian as the common language, but several regions with indivudual languages finally breaking apart to form russia, khazkistan, usbekistan, tajjikistan, turkmenistan, and the like.

When you glorify the use of english to such an extent, let me tell you that such spelling mistakes are unacceptable.

I'm sorry, but not everyone knows Sanskrit nowadays.
About the Hindi part, I was trying to say that when Hindi is used as a common language it creates a true sense of unity among us, because the language is native to India unlike English.

Accepted, but what do you mean by that it lacks character modifiers ?

karnivore

in your face..
@GeekyBoy

I am from Kolkata too, and as much Bengali, as one can be. Although I can speak Hindi fairly well, but I refuse to accept Hindi as a common medium. Only because it is a blatant imposition. Gujrat, Marathi, Punjabi (Gurmukhi) are all very close to Hindi. It is not difficult for them to adapt to this language. But in contrast to Bengali, Uria, Assamese etc. of the east and Tamil, Kannada, Telegu etc. of the south, the language is like Hebrew. You cann't impose hindi onto these people on the plea of "rule of majority".

One major correction here. Hindi is NOT our natinal language, constitutionally or otherwise. We had a debated regarding this in this thread. Some really good points were made there, by @Praka123 and @drgrudge. You will also find some good resources that might enlighten you. However, allow me to quote my own post @ #107: (Mind you, I was only responding to some comments made by some members there.)
karnivore said:
In 1950, when The Constitution was enacted, it was decided that hindi and English would be the 2 official languages till 1965, after which, hindi would be the only official language. Again, what the fuk. Expectedly, thanks largely to the South, another “freedom” struggle started in the “free” India. Only this time around, against the “hegemony” of hindi and its fanboys. It was then, Lal Bahadur Shastri, the then PM, realized the enormity of the stupidity and retained english. Today, we are stealing a march from the Yellow men, largely because of that movement.
I don’t support “imposition of hindi”, (mind you not the language “hindi”) because it goes against propriety, against the freedom of choice and, if I may, against the very premise of “unity in diversity”.

If you choose hindi, you are more than welcome.

As with the national flag thingie. I agree that the symbolism in a national flag, gives a sense of belonging to its citizens. But remember, just as you have the right to hoist your flag, your other fellow citizen has the right not to.

If I have got it right, then @metalhead is not disrespecting the national flag. He is refusing the tokenism and uber patriotism associated with it. And in that, allow me to join hands with him.

Renny

Padawan
Well last week I'm sure you guys know about the fighting in Kashmir(Samba Sector),

Those fcuking Pakistani Rangers opened fire on the Indian side to provide "cover fire" for the terrorists, well 2 days later those fcuking Pakistani Rangers again opened fire heavy fire for no apparent reason on Indian posts,

And the Indian side says "we did not retaliate",

WTF is going on here! :evil:

Do you think any other country would've taken this sorta crap! If we had done something like this to China would they have not retaliated!

We need to have some sorta aggressive foreign policy to deal with nations like China and Porkistan.

When you glorify the use of english to such an extent, let me tell you that such spelling mistakes are unacceptable.

I'm sorry, but not everyone knows Sanskrit nowadays.
About the Hindi part, I was trying to say that when Hindi is used as a common language it creates a true sense of unity among us, because the language is native to India unlike English.

Accepted, but what do you mean by that it lacks character modifiers ?
when did I glorify english ? I said I like it, hence I use it. Period. Just like linux.

and char modifyers arestuff yoiu add to a charactter, like the aa, o, ou, aun, ea, i, etc sound you add to a basic character in devanagiri.

OP
DizitalNovice

DizitalNovice

I don't want IT
Well, I never thought this will still continue. Good Good.
@MetalHead
BTW, Y don't u reply wen some1 questions your spellings?

very very off topic:
O man, people here keep such apt names, "metalhead": anything said by anyone just won't have any effect,immune. [;-)]
Please no offense meant!

Well, I never thought this will still continue. Good Good.
@MetalHead
BTW, Y don't u reply wen some1 questions your spellings?

very very off topic:
O man, people here keep such apt names, "metalhead": anything said by anyone just won't have any effect,immune. [;-)]
Please no offense meant!
1. I have already replied countless times that (i) I have a funny keyboard and (ii) I don't give a damn to the spelling when its the message that is more important.

2. It is not my problem that you have not bothered to find out the meaning of the word "metalhead" from either a dictionary or the internet. Just try googling for the word or search in Wikipedia to get the result.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
All I want to say is this:
When this thread was started by "DizitalNovice", I thought OMFG, ShivSena here too :D
But things turned out differently. We Indians are known as the most racist people, discriminating others on the basis of their caste,religion and even states but its India that matters most to all of us. We have more than 25% of our population under poverty line, we have states with high industrial growth like in Northern India and then those where Industrial growth implies to land grabbing and bloodshed like Eastern India.
With huge disparity in the standard of education,living and growth among people we are still able to forge our way ahead and progress and be called upon as a nation of gluttons and spendthrifts by "Ameri****s"(Yeah I hate America, but love The Simpsons) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom