Establishing a LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
I have three computers at my home...One laptop n two desktops...all with Win XP SP2 installed. Recently I took an internet connection and all the computers are connected to a switch using CAT 5 cables i.e. all three have seperate net connections....Now I want to connect the three computers to share files among them....is it possible to do the same without installin any new hardware...if yes then how?

theraven

Technomancer
eh /
if they are all connected via switch then all u need to do is enable sharing on each pc ..
and then access each using their UNIQUE IP ADDRESS assigned in the lan properties ( tcp/ip )

OP
bizzare_blue

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
Can anybody tell me the exact procedure of establishing the network? I know the IP's of all the systems and enabled sharing of some folders all the systems.

munim2020

Broken In
You don't need to do anything at all.
Since all the computers are already connected to a switch, they are already configured for internet.
It seems your computers already have their IP addresses set.
Just run the home networking wizard on all the computers. It should work..

mediator

Technomancer
first check if all PCs have net access...if so they have ip assigned. Now all u got to do is goto network connections and tcp/ip properties. Here u set file and printer sharing enabled !!!

theraven

Technomancer
if the computers are connected to the net that doesnt mean they are configured for itnernet
thats a router NTO a switch

now to access the computer just type in "\\ip address of computer" without the quote
for eg \\192.168.0.1
u will see a list of folders shared on that computer.

OP
bizzare_blue

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
A problem has popped up

When I entered the IP address of one system from another one, I was able to c all the shared docs of that system. But wen I tried vice-versa...it gave an error saying
"\\IP add is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions."

I have configured both the systems in the same ways and have used the correct IP's....How can I resolve this problem?

theraven

Technomancer
turn off simple file sharing from tools => folder options
set permission for the user on the client machine

or simply make sure the user in client machine is the same as the user on the server and has admin rights .

OP
bizzare_blue

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
Actually I don't even know how to set permissions...and by the way I dont think there's some client-server setup as such....Also there was no simple file sharing option in tools=>folder options....Plz help....

theraven

Technomancer
by client server i simply meant
server = machine ur tryin to access
client = machine ur accessing from ..

simple file sharing is under tools=> folder options under the view tab
last option !
untick it

permissions are set when u right click on the folder ur sharing
then under sharing tab
theres a permissions button
set it to all for administrators

make sure the user on each machine is the "SAME"
for eg both computers have the username of say "bizzare_blue"
and have admin priveleges
now try accessin

mediator

Technomancer
Hmmm....
Take a look will surely solve ur problem!
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=305133&highlight=#305133

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom