Entry Level - Performance Laptop - INR 60-65K - mostly editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think it's like this.
If the SSD will use all 4 lanes of NVMe then the SATA ports won't work.

So in order to use the dual storage i need to use a SSD that uses 2 lanes of NVMe leaving the other 2 for SATA.

Do we get SSD of 2280 with 2 lane usage up to atleast 512 GB ?
IMO that shouldn't be the case, but do wait for a reply in HP forums. Maybe put something like if a 2TB Samsung 970 Evo + 2TB 2.5" HDD work together w/o issues.

Some laptops have M.2 port with just 2 lanes of PCIe, so it would be stupid to put a system to confuse people. Better to just limit M.2 to 2 lanes so that people can add a 2.5" drive.

OP

123hero

In the zone
IMO that shouldn't be the case, but do wait for a reply in HP forums. Maybe put something like if a 2TB Samsung 970 Evo + 2TB 2.5" HDD work together w/o issues.

Some laptops have M.2 port with just 2 lanes of PCIe, so it would be stupid to put a system to confuse people. Better to just limit M.2 to 2 lanes so that people can add a 2.5" drive.

I have tried to be as clear and specific as possible here Upgrade and Warranty Terms

However in case anything else need to be asked please let me know.

OP

123hero

In the zone
[QUOTE[/QUOTE]
I have tried to be as clear and specific as possible here Upgrade and Warranty Terms

However in case anything else need to be asked please let me know.

I got a reply as below but it is inconsequential and does not address my query. It seems like even they arent aware of this hence declining to comment on the same.

**QUOTE**
You can only use one SSD and one SATA HDD as Dual Configuration
**UNQUOTE**

However my gut feeling tells me that HP laptop MoBo does have shared lanes between SATA and M.2 NVMe, which, apparently seems visible from a similar thread at HP forums. Here also, the user is not able to view the company installed HDD alongwith an SSD. I think the user also is confused whether his laptop shipped with HDD or SSD out of the box.

*h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Har...-HDD-HP-Laptop-Model-17-by0083cl/td-p/7725017

Further if the same was possible, they would end up competing with the HP OMEN series laptops since it is slightly higher priced with slightly better GPU performance.

So I guess, under dual storage, 256GB is what is max supported. If the user upgrades to a higher capacity SSD, then the onboard HDD wont function (will have to remove it from MoBo and use as an external HDD)

Reg

Last edited:
OP

123hero

In the zone
*www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-gamin...5njo1l5tthq81597305079636&qH=cd5d63606958905b

I think I should finalise on this and end the thread. I think this is best bet at 72K - (256 GB SSD + 144 Hz screen + 1 TB HDD @ 7200 RPM

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can always use sata hdd with an enclosure like this:
*www.amazon.in/External-Portable-US...G5FKR88XE58&psc=1&refRID=W1867FE7AG5FKR88XE58

As for laptop itself wait for others but the largest Oct sales are only 2 months away so if you can afford to wait then that would be best.

OP

123hero

In the zone
You can always use sata hdd with an enclosure like this:
*www.amazon.in/External-Portable-US...G5FKR88XE58&psc=1&refRID=W1867FE7AG5FKR88XE58

As for laptop itself wait for others but the largest Oct sales are only 2 months away so if you can afford to wait then that would be best.

Are prices expected to fall below the 65K for Ryzen 5 4000 laptops.

Any new launches expected - Acer says they are launching the Ryzen 5 4000 series in mid Aug, any launches expected from Dell or Lenovo with the R5 4600 Chips ??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

Any new launches expected - Acer says they are launching the Ryzen 5 4000 series in mid Aug, any launches expected from Dell or Lenovo with the R5 4600 Chips ??
No idea about this but dell is always overpriced & I think lenovo low end gaming series laptops are also not good.
@omega44-xt @SaiyanGoku

Lenovo Legion 3i was priced at 70k for i5 + 1650Ti during last sale in FK. Legion 5 might start at 65k or so with R5 +1650Ti but I'm just speculating.

In terms of gaming line ups, Legion 5 is better than Acer's Nitro 5 in terms of build, both plastic though. I don't think Dell has any other Ryzen gaming laptops, G5 SE has been launched, has poor thermals so not recommended.

OP

123hero

In the zone
I got a reply as below but it is inconsequential and does not address my query. It seems like even they arent aware of this hence declining to comment on the same.

**QUOTE**
You can only use one SSD and one SATA HDD as Dual Configuration
**UNQUOTE**

However my gut feeling tells me that HP laptop MoBo does have shared lanes between SATA and M.2 NVMe, which, apparently seems visible from a similar thread at HP forums. Here also, the user is not able to view the company installed HDD alongwith an SSD. I think the user also is confused whether his laptop shipped with HDD or SSD out of the box.

*h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Har...-HDD-HP-Laptop-Model-17-by0083cl/td-p/7725017

Further if the same was possible, they would end up competing with the HP OMEN series laptops since it is slightly higher priced with slightly better GPU performance.

So I guess, under dual storage, 256GB is what is max supported. If the user upgrades to a higher capacity SSD, then the onboard HDD wont function (will have to remove it from MoBo and use as an external HDD)

Reg

The reply from HP isnt promising as expected to turn out. They have just said using the 1 TB SSD is possible along with 1 TB HDD without any technical basis for the strange mention on manual.

‎08-14-2020 11:39 AM

@RahulWarrior I've already responded to your question, in my original post, and incase you missed it, here's the exact line I used:

Click here to identify parts tested and approved by HP to work on your device (It looks like you can use 1TB HDD with 1TB SSD or 512GB SSD as well)

I think I will have to take a risk here and go in for the base HP variant which is at 61K and add an SSD.

Please recommend some reasonably priced SSD (considering what they mentioned in the manual) for upgrade since the out of the box 5400RPM HDD is really not going to be much helpful

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please recommend some reasonably priced SSD (considering what they mentioned in the manual) for upgrade since the out of the box 5400RPM HDD is really not going to be much helpful
Currently ssd prices are inflated so assuming you just want to replace hdd with 2.5" sata ssd then best option was/is Crucial MX500(& samsung 860 evo which is best in budget segment but it used to be costlier than MX500) but at least wait till Oct as at that time you might be able to get it(MX500 or 860 evo, whichever is cheaper) at usual old price in flipkart/amazon sale.

OP

123hero

In the zone
Currently ssd prices are inflated so assuming you just want to replace hdd with 2.5" sata ssd then best option was/is Crucial MX500(& samsung 860 evo which is best in budget segment but it used to be costlier than MX500) but at least wait till Oct as at that time you might be able to get it(MX500 or 860 evo, whichever is cheaper) at usual old price in flipkart/amazon sale.

I would be adding an NVMe SSD in the M.2 NVMe slot. I would ideally want the HDD to be installed as storage

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would be adding an NVMe SSD in the M.2 NVMe slot. I would ideally want the HDD to be installed as storage
In that case Kingston A2000 & WD Blue SN550 are the best options.
*www.onlyssd.com/buy/kingston-a2000-250gb-m-2-2280-nvme-pcie-ssd-sa2000m8-250g/

*www.onlyssd.com/buy/wd-blue-sn550-250gb-m-2-pci-express-3-0-x4-nvme-ssd-wds250g2b0c/

*www.onlyssd.com/buy/kingston-a2000-500gb-m-2-2280-nvme-pcie-ssd-sa2000m8-500g/

OP

123hero

In the zone
In that case Kingston A2000 & WD Blue SN550 are the best options.
*www.onlyssd.com/buy/kingston-a2000-250gb-m-2-2280-nvme-pcie-ssd-sa2000m8-250g/

*www.onlyssd.com/buy/wd-blue-sn550-250gb-m-2-pci-express-3-0-x4-nvme-ssd-wds250g2b0c/

*www.onlyssd.com/buy/kingston-a2000-500gb-m-2-2280-nvme-pcie-ssd-sa2000m8-500g/
Thanks for the valuable input.
Are 3-0 x 2 NVMe SSD slower than 3-0 x 4 NVMe SSD ?

OP

123hero

In the zone
Theoretically yes but practically you won't see difference unless using very specific workload. However all good NVMe ssd nowadays are x4 only so no choice anyway.
Thanks a lot.

I asked that since I am still not 100% sure whether I can use a PCIe 3-0× 4 SSD with the HP Pavilion ec-1024AX and HP support has NOT reverted with a correct answer.

*www.amazon.in/HP-Pavilion-15-6-inc...s=ryzen+5+4600h+laptops&qid=1597464207&sr=8-3

This Appario is a genuine seller on Amazon ??

Is the onlyssd website reliable since I never heard of it before.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks a lot.

I asked that since I am still not 100% sure whether I can use a PCIe 3-0× 4 SSD with the HP Pavilion ec-1024AX and HP support has NOT reverted with a correct answer.

*www.amazon.in/HP-Pavilion-15-6-inc...s=ryzen+5+4600h+laptops&qid=1597464207&sr=8-3

This Appario is a genuine seller on Amazon ??

Is the onlyssd website reliable since I never heard of it before.
Check this review, it says samsung 970 evo plus worked fine & it is a x4 NVMe & nothing said about hdd not working so I assume it should be fine.
*www.amazon.in/gp/customer-reviews/RYMUV418W7848/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08CZ2KNS4

Appario Retail & Cloudtail(note the exact spelling) are amazon's own seller(basically they are joint ventures of amazon with Patni group & Narayan Murthy(infosys founder) family respectively).

Onlysd is ssd selling division of primeabgb who have the biggest pc components selling shop in Mumbai & are also official distributors of many pc components brands in India. Similar other sites/shops are mdcomputers & vedantcomputers in Kolkata & theitdepot in Chennai. All of them are trusted sellers as they own biggest pc component shops in their city & are also official distributors of many pc component brands.

*www.primeabgb.com/

*mdcomputers.in/

*www.vedantcomputers.com/

*www.theitdepot.com/

OP

123hero

In the zone
Check this review, it says samsung 970 evo plus worked fine & it is a x4 NVMe & nothing said about hdd not working so I assume it should be fine.
*www.amazon.in/gp/customer-reviews/RYMUV418W7848/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08CZ2KNS4

Appario Retail & Cloudtail(note the exact spelling) are amazon's own seller(basically they are joint ventures of amazon with Patni group & Narayan Murthy(infosys founder) family respectively).

Onlysd is ssd selling division of primeabgb who have the biggest pc components selling shop in Mumbai & are also official distributors of many pc components brands in India. Similar other sites/shops are mdcomputers & vedantcomputers in Kolkata & theitdepot in Chennai. All of them are trusted sellers as they own biggest pc component shops in their city & are also official distributors of many pc component brands.

*www.primeabgb.com/

*mdcomputers.in/

*www.vedantcomputers.com/

*www.theitdepot.com/

Thanks for reply

The Amazon link mentions "Sold by Appario Retail Private Ltd and Fulfilled by Amazon. " i think this must be genuine.

So I think will order this HDD only version. Anyways nothing else is available at the moment. ASUS and Acer are woefully silent on their 4600H models' stock and launch. ASUS has poor thermals and Acer is not interested in launching this until anytime soon.

As for the SSD - let me see - if the HDD doesn't work in dual storage - i will remove it from the MoBo and use as external HDD. (or not until warranty expires). Worse case- will take to HP store incase I am not able to do the upgrade.

In ideal case - the SSD should show up as storage after i insert it on the MoBo and then do a data cloning or do i need to buy an adapter (NVMe to USB) , clone everything from HDD to SSD and then insert the SSD to boot up (pls correct me if I am wrong)

Wish me luck :grin::grin:

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
As for the SSD - let me see - if the HDD doesn't work in dual storage - i will remove it from the MoBo and use as external HDD. (or not until warranty expires). Worse case- will take to HP store incase I am not able to do the upgrade.

In ideal case - the SSD should show up as storage after i insert it on the MoBo and then do a data cloning or do i need to buy an adapter (NVMe to USB) , clone everything from HDD to SSD and then insert the SSD to boot up (pls correct me if I am wrong)
Better install fresh win 10 on ssd as HP pre-loaded win 10 will be coming with a lot of bloatware so no need to clone it.

OP

123hero

In the zone
Better install fresh win 10 on ssd as HP pre-loaded win 10 will be coming with a lot of bloatware so need to clone it.

Let me see, if there is too many bloatware.
Some unwanted software does come out of the box ( McAfee AV, HP Omen Command, Drop Box) which can be got rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom