Entry Level - Performance Laptop - INR 60-65K - mostly editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP

123hero

In the zone
** update**

FIRST POST from the HP ec-1024AX and huge thanks to members here, especially @omega44-xt and @whitestar_999

Initial Impressions

1. Keyboard lighting and layout - more conducive to typing than a gaming laptop. Keys have good travel. Very less keyboard flex. takes a while getting used to.
2. Screen Brightness - perfectly usable indoors - max brightness will hurt the eyes. Ideal brightness is around 40-50% when consuming content. AMOLED fan boys will like it probably. But not bad as i thought it would be.
3. Color Accuracy is way off and default setting is on the warmer side. Though the overall viewing experience is not troublesome, people looking for color grading during editing should head elsewhere or buy an additional monitor.
4. Screen wobbles even under the fan. I guess the same is true for screens with central hinge.
5. Havent installed any softwares except - Mozilla FF and Acrobat Reader. Will install others only after installing the SSD which i plan on doing the next week or so. Depending on SSD availability.
6. Laptop is pretty fast compared to my office laptop with i5-7200U -8GB RAM (Lenovo Thinkpad L 470)
7. Webcam is horrible as expected. I have no use for it though.
8. It is very light - 1.9 kgs or so. unlike some other gaming laptops
9. In built speakers are pretty bad - as I expected. Dont listen to any Rock / Metal on this unless you want to kill yourselves.

But overall it's pleasant to use and view

Will the NVIDIA latest studio drivers improve performance during editing ?
Do I need to manually update the drivers or is it auto.

Last edited:
Congrats

I use GeForce Experience to download & install updates, no idea about Studio drivers.

Maybe run some heavy games & use HWinfo to take CPU & GPU temps, something like this (need to collapse a few readings & scroll a bit, use <-> button at bottom left to expand):
HZD 2 22C.png

OP

123hero

In the zone
**update**

No hassles observed as of date. Slightly sluggish -maybe due to 5400 RPM HDD. but barely noticeable.

played ETS 2 - ultra high settings - didnt break a sweat - fans didnt even turn on (guess this was a pretty easy game for the system)

will start Premiere tomorrow and see how it functions.

Any good 512GB SSD which is avbl in below INR 5000 - pls suggest

**update**

No hassles observed as of date. Slightly sluggish -maybe due to 5400 RPM HDD. but barely noticeable.

played ETS 2 - ultra high settings - didnt break a sweat - fans didnt even turn on (guess this was a pretty easy game for the system)

will start Premiere tomorrow and see how it functions.

Any good 512GB SSD which is avbl in below INR 5000 - pls suggest
Prices have increased & tough to get one under 5k, even SATA but the one whitestar linked is a great SSD for the price.

ETS2 ain't intensive. Run something intensive like Far Cry 5, new Assassin's creed games, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc.

OP

123hero

In the zone
*www.onlyssd.com/buy/kingston-a2000-500gb-m-2-2280-nvme-pcie-ssd-sa2000m8-500g/

Will I need to purchase an NVME to USB adapter cable to migrate data to SSD using Kingstons software or other third party software like Macrium.

Please suggest some decent adapter cable. I've seen some box type adapter as well (makes the SSD look like an enlarged pen drive). Can possible an a portable drive later upto 1 TB

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will I need to purchase an NVME to USB adapter cable to migrate data to SSD using Kingstons software or other third party software like Macrium.

Please suggest some decent adapter cable. I've seen some box type adapter as well (makes the SSD look like an enlarged pen drive). Can possible an a portable drive later upto 1 TB
Not necessarily if you follow the instructions correctly. The software should copy all the required data to make NVMe drive a clone of your current windows drive & then on next reboot you can disconnect the primary/original hdd/ssd for extra precaution to let system boot successfully for the first time with cloned NVMe drive. After that you can connect the primary hdd/ssd & later you just need to set the boot device order in laptop uefi bios. Btw if it is not absolutely needed I suggest doing a fresh install of win 10 on NVMe(& let original win 10 install on primary hdd/ssd as a backup os).

OP

123hero

In the zone
Not necessarily if you follow the instructions correctly. The software should copy all the required data to make NVMe drive a clone of your current windows drive & then on next reboot you can disconnect the primary/original hdd/ssd for extra precaution to let system boot successfully for the first time with cloned NVMe drive. After that you can connect the primary hdd/ssd & later you just need to set the boot device order in laptop uefi bios. Btw if it is not absolutely needed I suggest doing a fresh install of win 10 on NVMe(& let original win 10 install on primary hdd/ssd as a backup os).

Thanks for the suggestion

I normally don't tinker around with the BIOS for fear of doing something wrong and landing up in trouble (though don't mind doing this time :-D )

Couple of questions though I don't plan on doing a fresh install since I have barely done anything yet + removed some bloatware software like some VPN provider and some other shit software.

1. How do I do a fresh install of WIN 10 on to the SSD ?
2. Will i lose data saved on HDD ~ some photos and similar stuff
3. Why is it recommended to do a fresh install.
4. How to retain the license

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the suggestion

I normally don't tinker around with the BIOS for fear of doing something wrong and landing up in trouble (though don't mind doing this time :-D )

Couple of questions though I don't plan on doing a fresh install since I have barely done anything yet + removed some bloatware software like some VPN provider and some other shit software.

1. How do I do a fresh install of WIN 10 on to the SSD ?
2. Will i lose data saved on HDD ~ some photos and similar stuff
3. Why is it recommended to do a fresh install.
4. How to retain the license
Nothing much to tinker, setting boot device priority is one of the easiest & safest option possible to tinker in uefi bios.

1. Just download the win 10 setup from microsoft site, create a bootable usb & boot from it to start the install.
2. You will only lose data if you decide to format your current C drive/hdd/ssd already having windows.
3. Fresh install is like starting with no past issues, no chance of some older issue becoming more complicated with some latest win update etc.
4. Nowadays win 10 activation info is saved on microsoft own servers so as long as you reinstall/fresh install same version of win 10 on same pc hardware(aka mother board remians same) on which it was activated before then it will be automatically reactivated after connecting to net.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@whitestar_999 which is the best software to clone 1TB hdd to 250 gb ssd.I have two partitions both around 450GB.Can i clone it to ssd.What would be the best option for me?
*www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-drive-macrium-reflect

Still I will suggest a fresh install on ssd when moving from a hdd(especially if it is win 7 as nowadays it is not recommended to use it) unless you are really using a lot of software & customization.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
*www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-drive-macrium-reflect

Still I will suggest a fresh install on ssd when moving from a hdd(especially if it is win 7 as nowadays it is not recommended to use it) unless you are really using a lot of software & customization.
i am currently on Windows 10 Home 64bit.
One more thing How does cloning bigger hdd partion to smaller ssd partition works.Does it clone only OS and not files in it?
Obviously we cannot put 1TB data in 256 GB ssd.
I didnt get it how can anyone put bigger hdd size to smaller hdd.

Edit: Got it disk usage on hdd should be smaller than hdd i guess.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didnt get it how can anyone put bigger hdd size to smaller hdd.

Edit: Got it disk usage on hdd should be smaller than hdd i guess.
The info is there in the link, you need to resize partition on smaller target disk so that it still fits on smaller disk & big enough to hold all the data from source disk. In C drive other than windows & installed programs there is also default location of documents, downloads, pictures, music, videos folders which you can move to create more empty space in C drive.

OP

123hero

In the zone
Finally the SSD arrived and put it inside the MoBo - it did show up on the device manager.

But tried to download the Kingston Cloning Software - it got downloaded but isnt getting installed. (Tried restarting + Run as Administrator) doesnt work.

Tried to install Macrium Reflect - Says software is not compatible.

Why does the issue of softwares not installing crop up ??

OP

123hero

In the zone
@whitestar_999 @omega44-xt

Request help on this. I am using macrium reflect

My source disk : 1 TB HDD
My Destination disk : 500GB HDD

Which drives are to be cloned from GPT Disk 1 since I cannot directly clone a 1TB HDD onto a 500GB SSD

1.JPG

OP

123hero

In the zone
@whitestar_999 @omega44-xt

Request help on this. I am using macrium reflect

My source disk : 1 TB HDD
My Destination disk : 500GB HDD

Which drives are to be cloned from GPT Disk 1 since I cannot directly clone a 1TB HDD onto a 500GB SSD

View attachment 19493

Here is what I did now.

I partitioned the HDD to a 200GB + 700GB combination and cloned the 200GB portion to the SSD.

Cloning was successful as per Macrium. And a new drive created as Drive E

Now I can't find the correct settings in BIOS to make the SSD as the boot drive

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-03-21-04-49-431_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-09-03-21-04-49-431_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
OP

123hero

In the zone
Here is what I did now.

I partitioned the HDD to a 200GB + 700GB combination and cloned the 200GB portion to the SSD.

Cloning was successful as per Macrium. And a new drive created as Drive E

Now I can't find the correct settings in BIOS to make the SSD as the boot drive
Boot device not visible in bios

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-03-21-26-22-297_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-09-03-21-26-22-297_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 101
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom