Enquiries/Availability of PCI SATA card in bangalore

sude

Tech'ing life seriously!!
Hi everybody.
Off late i am in desperate need to upgrade my storage capacity and have decided to get myself a 500GB or 1TB SATA internal HDD. .. (currently i am having a 40 Gb HDD :) )

As my system is very experienced, 7 years old!, it doesnot have SATA connectors etc.
So i have decided to go for PCI SATA controller card.
some queries though!
1. my PSU is of 350watts, currently a 40GB HDD and DVDROM is connected. do i need to upgrade it in order to accomodate the SATA HDD?
2. what are the extra things i may need?

Can anyone lemme know the price of the card in bangalore? If anyone bought it, can i have the shops name?
> I am getting it on EBAY for Rupees 475 /-? should i go for it!

Thanks, SUDE

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
1) Your PSU will handle it.
2) You'll get everything which you need along with your Hard Disk, I think.
3) If you'll want to boot through your new Hard Disk, then you'll have to enable Boot from PCI device from your BIOS.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Computer Warehouse on MG Road has them. Ph: 25091050, 25091051.
PCI to SATA 2 port - 425/-
IDE to SATA connectorr - 250/-

(Disclaimer: I have not used these adaptors myself, so I don't know how well they work).

OP
sude

sude

Thanks @pimpom and @ico for ur help!

I went to SP Road today and got myself the entire kit!
> Zippys PCI to SATA controller card - 300 /- (incl tax)
> 4 pin molex to SATA power convertor - 20/- (incl tax)
> Western Digital 500Gb/32Mb Cavier Green HDD - 1900/- (incl tax)

total 2220/-

infact i just returned.. currently partitioning the harddrive.. :)

_SUDE

ultimategamer

Broken In
do you have any problem to boot using above setup?
i want to do same thing, but the guys at computer shop
said that ide to sata converter have some problems and it is
not perfect.

OP
sude

sude

@ultimategamer ..
Firstly, welcome to ThinkDigit Forum.

Well, I got my PC an "PCI to SATA converter card" and not an IDE to SATA card.
Find the image here "*www.darkwire.com.au/assets/images/PCI_SATA_Card.jpg"
This is because after some research i came to know that IDE to SATA card would result in low data transfer speed.

And Believe me I faced no issues at all installing, configuring and using the same!
Opened my cabinet, attached the card, powered on the system, installed the drivers which came with it, and voila... its working! No issues at all..
I use my old 40Gb Seagate HDD as a boot drive and not the new WD one. I use it for Storage purposes.

Though I recommendation! dont get yourself WD Green series. Its performance is a bit slow, get yourself a Seagate or any other non-green WD HDD.

Hope this clarifies your doubt. and sorry for replying late! (was busy due to office! :))

Thanks_SUDE

sribmsce

Right off the assembly line
@Sude,

I too planning to buy an 1 TB internal hard disk and my system is very old(2003) and doesn't have SATA port. I had been to SP road, but none of the dealer told me about "PCI to SATA Converter", they asked me to buy 160 GB IDE hard disk(max available now).

Can you please let me know which dealer did u buy from? i will check this weekend. I have an 40 GB internal HD and 250 GB WDP external hard disk(both already full:sad:), so don't want to buy one more external.

And finally thanks to this forum from which i came to know about this converter.

openkiddo

sribmsce,

Did you get PCI to SATA adapter ?.

My system has intel chipset 845gvsr mobo which has no sata port, now am thinking to buy a SATA HDD and use convertor , so that I can use same HDD in future when I upgarde my PC.

Also can anyone suggest me whether it is better to buy new IDE HDD or go for SATA HDD with PCI to SATA convertor.Please note that new HDD will be my primary from which I need to boot my system

Thanks in advance

sribmsce

Hi openkiddo,

I bought 1 TB SATA segate hard disk(3200 Rs) and an PCI-SATA converter(300 Rs).
It is working fine with my 845gvad Intel motherboard. But i am using it as additional hard disk not as bootable hard disk.
To make it bootable disk, i think sata drivers has to be installed to bios.

I had also inquired about IDE hard disks and found that only 160GB is max available and it was 3500 Rs.

Last edited:

openkiddo

Hi sribmsce,

Thanks for the reply.
IDE 160 gb 3200 ? , someboby told me that it is around 2100 .
Am planning to go to sp road to buy seagate 160 IDE hdd . Let me know if any dealer to get best rate.

-openkiddo

Top Bottom