Electric shock on touching the cabinet

icebags

Technomancer
try connecting the computer to some other wall socket, if possible change the mains cord also.

after done come straight back here and report ! :nerd_NF:

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
try connecting the computer to some other wall socket, if possible change the mains cord also.

after done come straight back here and report ! :nerd_NF:

But this setup has no problem with the ancient iBall i221 cabinet!!!!????
O.K. I am reporting just now. Please be online.

madhu

Broken In
To [MENTION=120531]madhu[/MENTION] [MENTION=138043]kARTechnology[/MENTION] and respective others (observation of tests):--->

I just attached the PSU(Cooler Master Thunder 500W SMPS) onto the Cooler Master Elite 311.

None of the other components(mobo,HDD,fans,etc.) were attached.

Simply put the Empty Cabinet Elite 311 + PSU setup.

I switched on the power button which is present with the SMPS(Thunder 500W) after connecting the power cord of the smps.

The whole cabinet (metallic surface/portion) is experiencing a flow of electricity.

I also tested the various output connectors with the tester. Line/Electricity is present there.

Seems like some ground issue with the cabinet.

HOW TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE? PLEASE HELP ME @TDF FRIENDS.

It's not the cabinet issue, the issue might be
1. Power socket
2. Power cable
3. Smps( shud be least option)

Try to connect the same setup to other socket(prob. Other room) and check the same!!!
If still exist, replace the cable (how old is you cable?)and check once... Hope this will resolve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kg11sgbg

Seems to be the problem(likely or may be) with the power cord of Thunder 500W SMPS. The rating for which is 13A(with fuse),230V~250V.

But I also have another new power cord of rating 10A,230V~250V. Attaching that to the smps is posing no electric short problems,AT THE SAME TIME NO CURRENT SEEMS TO BE FLOWING IN TO THE OUTLET CONNECTORS, as tested by tester.

Seems to be a problem of Electrical Engineers,who know the solution.

Anyone out there @TDF ???

icebags

Technomancer
if changing cord resolves the issue, then do it. cords sometimes dont make a firm contact with the metals & cause issues - heating / meltdown / shocks etc.

also make sure the screws you are using to tighten the smps to the cabinet are not going too deep and touching forbidden places inside smps.

madhu

Broken In
Seems to be the problem(likely or may be) with the power cord of Thunder 500W SMPS. The rating for which is 13A(with fuse),230V~250V.

But I also have another new power cord of rating 10A,230V~250V. Attaching that to the smps is posing no electric short problems,AT THE SAME TIME NO CURRENT SEEMS TO BE FLOWING IN TO THE OUTLET CONNECTORS, as tested by tester.

Seems to be a problem of Electrical Engineers,who know the solution.

Anyone out there @TDF ???

The ground wire of your old chord might have worn out.... The new one with 10A rating is far sufficient for your 500W smps and you can use it!!!

kg11sgbg

The ground wire of your old chord might have worn out.... The new one with 10A rating is far sufficient for your 500W smps and you can use it!!!

Friend,it is the latest cord shipped along with Cooler Master Thunder 500W SMPS.

The other 10A cord(which is also new) I bought from ebay.in

But what about the current not being detected on the output connectors of the SMPS?
Any explanation?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
SMPS should not supply current to output connectors under zero load conditions.That is why to check a SMPS it is always recommended to test it by connecting at least a mobo with processor & cpu fan.
Isolating ATX SMPS Supply and power related faults - PC Hardware Troubleshooting

kg11sgbg

SMPS should not supply current to output connectors under zero load conditions.That is why to check a SMPS it is always recommended to test it by connecting at least a mobo with processor & cpu fan.
Isolating ATX SMPS Supply and power related faults - PC Hardware Troubleshooting
Thanks for the explanation my Friend.
But why no problem arises with the iBall i221 Cabinet which is 9 years old and is to be debunked?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
But why no problem arises with the iBall i221 Cabinet which is 9 years old and is to be debunked?
Because sometimes old is really gold.Maybe iBall is so old that there is some rusty part at the backside which prevent shorting of circuit.:D

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"

so when u use the new power cable the issue persists and if you use the old one does it go away?
with the iBall cabby did u use old / new power cable?

kg11sgbg

so when u use the new power cable the issue persists and if you use the old one does it go away?with the iBall cabby did u use old / new power cable?
With the iball cabinet, I use the complete new setup relating to power cable(13A with fuse,230V~250V cord) + Cooler Master Thunder 500W PSU.No shocks,no shorting and PC-Desktop runs peacefully.But the same above mentioned setup when used with the new(replaced) Cooler Master Elite 311 cabinet,produces shock,shorting , PC-Desktop never starting(unbootable,showing no signs of life)

- - - Updated - - -

well, stop talking & get into gamin, now that your problem is solved.
Hey buddy,where is my problem solved???
AND I AM NEVER A GAMER.

- - - Updated - - -

Because sometimes old is really gold.Maybe iBall is so old that there is some rusty part at the backside which prevent shorting of circuit.:D
Keeping aside jokes,my Friend this defies logic.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
okay then, the new power cable is also good. do one thing.
install only PSU in the elite 311, and then use the new power cord, and then do this
Corsair Video FAQ: How to test a Corsair power supply - YouTub

so this powers up OK = psu + cabinet + new power cord ok.
install mobo + PSU connectors to mobo,
out of the case on a motherboard packaging box, or cardboard and test.

kg11sgbg

okay then, the new power cable is also good. do one thing.
install only PSU in the elite 311, and then use the new power cord, and then do this
Corsair Video FAQ: How to test a Corsair power supply - YouTub

so this powers up OK = psu + cabinet + new power cord ok.
install mobo + PSU connectors to mobo,
out of the case on a motherboard packaging box, or cardboard and test.
I did the same test sans cabinet fans by attaching two ends of a paper clip to point no. 15 and point no.16 of the 24-pin power supply to mobo(Thunder 500W smps)by consulting the manual and also from youtube(not yours) and switched on the power supply(taking adequate precautions such that I won't get electrolocuted).
The smps FANS were spinning with full normal speed.
THUS THE PSU/SMPS ACCORDING TO THE TEST WAS O.K.

madhu

Broken In
I did the same test sans cabinet fans by attaching two ends of a paper clip to point no. 15 and point no.16 of the 24-pin power supply to mobo(Thunder 500W smps)by consulting the manual and also from youtube(not yours) and switched on the power supply(taking adequate precautions such that I won't get electrolocuted).

Still the thread is not closed!!!
This could be because of the cord, which might be loose and the works Pakka with iball @ certain angle and the same could be trouble some with CM cabinet ( is the position of SMPS differs in both cabinet)

If so, try to connect a multimeter to the earth and nuetral in the defective cord &. once powered up, twist the cable at the plug joints!!!! Observe the reading!! This should change, if the cord had issues.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
:cool_NF:
did you actually do this with the psu in the elite 311?
do the cardboard-mother board test, place the motherboard simply on a cardboard and plug the cables and see if it POSTs

kg11sgbg

:cool_NF:
did you actually do this with the psu in the elite 311?
do the cardboard-mother board test, place the motherboard simply on a cardboard and plug the cables and see if it POSTs
No Brother,sorry for my over enthusiasm. Actually i wanted to be sure that whether the Cooler Master Thunder 500W smps was functional or not.

kg11sgbg

elite 311 is working without problem with old 10A cord, right ? if it is, then just forget the 13A cord.
It is not working with any cord,whatsoever.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha!! Haa!! HAAAA!!! Haaa!!! Haaaa!!!
OH! Man ,all the men of @TDF, the most FUNNIEST,CRAZIEST,phenomenon I'd encountered ever in my life with computers.

The Cabinet of CoolerMaster Elite 311,which was not starting the PC and producing electric shocks,suddenly was swarmed by red ants all over today. I found today morning.

I took a day's leave from my office, un-assembled all the components and kept under sun for nearly an hour. Sometimes the sun was bright,and sometimes the sun rays were obfuscated by the monsoon clouds(Now it's a DRY MONSOON for KOLKATA and adjoining areas!!!).So hopefully no chance of water lashing or wetting any of the components.
After that I took back the components(Mobo : Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3; WDD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD and Seagate 250GB HDD; Cooler Master Thunder 500W smps; Corsair Value RAM 4x2=8GB total) along with the Elite 311 cabinet.

It was pretty Hot, and I was a bit sceptical that whether any sensitive electronic components or parts were fried or damaged.

I assembled the whole unit again after keeping in my room say for about 2 hrs. very carefully again.

Just a few mins. ago I kept my fingers crossed and powered on the PC-Desktop.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT STARTED ,I MEAN THE COOLER MASTER ELITE 311 WITH THE PC IS RUNNING FINE WITHOUT ANY HICCUPS OR ISSUES OR PROBLEM , NO ELECTRIC SHORTS/SHOCKS/ISSUES. PC RUNNING FULLY O.K.:drinks_NF::winking_NF::stars_NF::rofl::rofl::rofl::doublethumb::mrgreen::thinking_NF::thinking_NF::thinking_NF::grin_NF:

I Thank all my friends particularly, [MENTION=138043]kARTechnology[/MENTION], @icebags, [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] not to forget [MENTION=120531]madhu[/MENTION] from Chennai.

All these comments are written through this ( ANT + SUN - gifted) PC-Desktop.:smug_NF:

Top Bottom